Anyone make / use a stamp mill?

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
My local yard will not do this as far as pound per pound trade. Lucky you.
Over the years I've developed good relationships with most of the yards but still manged to sour one yard.

I cut up a large Bucyrus for scrap, it had a Cummins KT-450 engine and the yard was hoping this engine was coming in on a load of scrap.

That engine was pure gold.

Screenshot from 2022-03-06 19-28-49.png

Screenshot from 2022-03-06 19-22-27.png

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unless you have a proven claim that is producing high grade, just use a pipe mill to crush, test and produce samples for assay. I take mine into the field on expeditions to create and test samples right in the field. Build or buy a custom crusher once things are proven up. If your doing this constantly for mining claims then by all means buy or build a crusher.
How much does your pipe rod mill weigh?
Do you use a steel cable to mover your equipment in the forest / woods?

If you do use a steel cable how do you attach your
steel cable and use?

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Over the years I've developed good relationships with most of the yards but still manged to sour one yard.

I cut up a large Bucyrus for scrap, it had a Cummins KT-450 engine and the yard was hoping this engine was coming in on a load of scrap.

That engine was pure gold.

View attachment 2014319

View attachment 2014318
This would run one big stamp mill with a rod mill after it.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found a chuck of 2" steel square stock for mounting a 25 pound hammer head on, both steel items where found at a scrap yard. Time to think about rollers as a guide for the square stock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In Africa they are quite common. Parts are readily available and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to build one.
Lucky you as in the USA they have not been made for a very long time.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you had some good ore, should save a lot of time.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lots of stamp mill parts around if you know where to look. I know a lady out in Nevada that has one for sale.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A single or double stamp mill that is portable is a little more viricidal and portable then a stamp mill that weights many tons.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are examples of single stamp mills out there the classic is using a Dolly pot with either a weighted lever or a bent over sapling to assist. The museum in weaverville has a hand crank one stamp mill. Most historical small 2 stamp mills are still fairly heavy even the tiny ones. The stamp faces and shoes were replaceable, the companies that made them are long gone so you would have to custom make replacements.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are examples of single stamp mills out there the classic is using a Dolly pot with either a weighted lever or a bent over sapling to assist. The museum in weaverville has a hand crank one stamp mill. Most historical small 2 stamp mills are still fairly heavy even the tiny ones. The stamp faces and shoes were replaceable, the companies that made them are long gone so you would have to custom make replacements.
Mass / weight will make the stamp mill more reliable and effective. The hand crank stamps where effective for sampling for general assay use. With todays improvements in fabrication / welding the small hand crank sized units should be easier to both build and refurbish after a ton or a few tons of material.

Some people still use a sledge hammer after all even today. A small stamp mill would reduce this work factor even if it last for just a ton of material.

A stamp mill is not always needed however it is a option for some areas and thus the interest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread