Anyone recognize these tokens ?

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
When were they made?? The smaller one has a date of 1953 on it, is that the correct time frame for this one?? What was it used for?? The larger one has no date, but it says Shell on the back.

token1.jpg

Here are pics of the reverse:

toekn2.jpg

OP
OP
Gribnitz

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Figured out what the bigger one is. It was a shell give away coin game back in 1968. Ebay can be a good spot for research :-*

Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello Gribnitz,
Do you know if 1968 was the only year Shell gave those tokens out...
A token like that with Franklin D Roosevelt on it was the first token I found.
There should be a date on it just above his left sholder running downward at about a 45* angle
It's not the large date that sits horizotal, it's in a smaller font...
Mine does have the date 1968
ShellF.JPG
I couldn't find any info on about the game back when I found mine, hope you have some better luck with it...
I see Buckram has already got ya covered on the Uncle Sam PLay Money? ;D
Great finds!
Good luck & Happy Hunting~

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gribnitz

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Leon, there were other years as well, but the ones in 1968 said "Mr. Presidents Coin Game" on the back of them. Ebay has a bunch of these up on auction. There were bronze "grand prize" toekns too if you collected certain tokens. Check ebay under "Shells Mr President" and you will get some hits.

Upvote 0

BRINK

Oct 21, 2004
We found one of these at a local park that we used to play at when we were kids. It is William Harrison and was about 4" deep in a wooded area. And everyone is right, it belongs to the Shell Mr. Presidents Coin Game. The excitment comes before you clean it. You think you have found something totally unique. Still a neat find and we were happy with it. HH BRINK

Upvote 0

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid, I won the bronze set of these from Shell. It was like the monopoly game, you had to get the right piece. 8)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread