Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found at an old house site, which seems to be late 1800’s to early 1900s. I searched online and the closest visual match I could find was an “Elgin” pattern from 1883, but it’s not a match, just similar. I can’t quite make out the manufacturer’s stamp on the back, but it looks like part of it may be “overlisse” or something like that. It’s silver plated, about the size of a modern table spoon. Does anyone recognize the name or pattern? (I’m just trying to figure out the history of the house site and every little bit adds to the story.)

Front of spoon
IMG_0800.jpeg

Front handle close up
IMG_0801.jpeg

Back handle close up

IMG_0802.jpeg

Stem stamp on cam of stem
IMG_0805.jpeg

OP
OP
robertk

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found it!

I was looking at the back side of the spoon when checking old patterns. (Insert sound of slapping myself on the forehead here.). When I checked the front side, I found a match. It's the "Elgin" pattern, made by the American Sterling Company in 1883.

Here's the one I found vs the reference image

SpoonCompared.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: EKG
Upvote 1

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Found it!

I was looking at the back side of the spoon when checking old patterns. (Insert sound of slapping myself on the forehead here.). When I checked the front side, I found a match. It's the "Elgin" pattern, made by the American Sterling Company in 1883.

Here's the one I found vs the reference image

View attachment 2087656
Those two don't match.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
robertk

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those two don't match.
I must be missing something. Of course the dug one looks like crap compared to the reference, but looking just at the pattern, it sure looks like a match to me. The same leaves, the same stems, the same blank banner at the top and flower banner at the bottom. Other than the deteriorated plating, I don't see what's different?

Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those two don't match.

I must be missing something. Of course the dug one looks like crap compared to the reference, but looking just at the pattern, it sure looks like a match to me. The same leaves, the same stems, the same blank banner at the top and flower banner at the bottom. Other than the deteriorated plating, I don't see what's different?
I agree that they don't match, the finer details are what doesn't match, the very top design is slightly different, the leaves as well as the other details are not as refined on the dug piece.

The dug piece maybe a replication of the original design and made by a different company trying to cash in with their version.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
robertk

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the very top design is slightly different,
Hmm... OK, I can see that. Maybe you're right, maybe it's a copycat. Still, it sets the date, which is more important to me than the pattern. Maybe the original design was sterling, and the copy was plated? Because the dug one is definitely plated, not sterling.

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few random thoughts here.

It’s not uncommon to see variations in a flatware pattern, such that it doesn’t exactly match the illustrations in the pattern reference books (or the original design patent, if it exists) and sometimes a pattern has escaped documentation altogether. Especially for those used by smaller producers, or which were short-lived. There are a number of possible reasons for deviations.

As @AU Seeker says, one reason may be that the pattern was plagiarised. Even when not protected by a design patent, it would be smart for a copyist to introduce some variations to avoid a potential lawsuit.

It’s also not uncommon for a long-lived pattern to undergo various ‘refreshments’ during its lifetime, with minor improvements being made. This can be for aesthetic reasons, or to improve the crispness of detail, or to reduce the incidence of things like casting flaws.

Pattern books tend to show the pattern as applied to standard spoons and forks. Although not the case here, it’s not uncommon to see variations in other pieces from a flatware series such as knives, serving utensils etc where the pattern is adapted to better suit the size and geometry of the handles.

Patterns were also not necessarily exclusive to one manufacturer and may have variations between the manufacturers who were licensed to use them. That’s particularly the case for designs used by companies who later became part of the International Silver Company (formed in 1892, but continued adding small companies to its portfolio thereafter). The company acquired patterns from the companies it absorbed, including reassignment of patent rights and these patterns then became potentially available to the multitude of manufacturers within ISC.

The ‘Elgin’ pattern was designed in 1883 by Albert Adolphus Sperry, and is documented as having been used by both the American Sterling Co. and the Standard Silver(ware) Co. Despite the use of the words “Sterling” or “Silver” in the company names, this was just a marketing ploy and neither company actually made flatware in solid silver.

Sperry was born in 1831 and died in 1911, working between 1871-1898 within the Simpson Nickel Silver Co. who manufactured base metal flatware blanks principally for Simpson, Hall & Miller but it’s not documented that they were supplied with ‘Elgin’ blanks. It's also possible that you have an earlier version of Sperry's 1883 design produced for someone else.

The American Sterling Co. (of Naubuc, CT) was the successor to the Curtisville Mfg. Co. in 1871 but was bought by James B. Williams and William Williams in 1880 and changed name to the Williams Bros. Mfg Co.

The Standard Silver Co. (of Toronto, Canada) was the successor to the Acme Silver Co. in 1893/4 but merged to the International Silver Co. on an unclear date (possibly 1912).

Simpson, Hall & Miller (of Wallingford, CT) also became part of the International Silver Company in 1898 but continued to operate with the Simpson, Hall, Miller & Co. branding within ISC.

It’s a shame the branding cannot be deciphered, but there are a number of possibilities, with consequent possible dates.

Upvote 4
OP
OP
robertk

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, @Red-Coat, for that information. That's very interesting! I'll keep trying on the manufacturer's stamp but so far no luck.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread