anyone run a wood stove as primary heat source?

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i do. i lit mine this weekend. likey it wont shut off until april of 2022. i split and burn about 8 cords a season. all free heat for me. i collect logs from people who give them away etc. also contact tree services that give away wood from jobs for free. heres some before and pictures of my wood stove. i built the mantel. and thats all real thin red brick. i bought small fans and installed floor registers to circulate the heat through my house. my stove sits in the basement. i have a three story house so each level is a 10 degree difference. the top level where the bedrooms are stay a nice 62 degrees. nice for sleeping.
KIMG1276.JPG

KIMG0310.JPG

OP
OP
Kype

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have an oil tank. my house was built in 1890. with my wood stove running all winter. i only fill my oil tank 2 times a year. once in may. once in dec.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My wife and I used a wood stove when we lived off grid i hated it was more work than just trying to keep it lit than it was worth finally gave up on it and installed a vent-less propane heater and never looked back

OP
OP
Kype

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife and I used a wood stove when we lived off grid i hated it was more work than just trying to keep it lit than it was worth finally gave up on it and installed a vent-less propane heater and never looked back
how long ago was that? my wood stove is a regency. my firewood burns all night long. i wake up and still have embers and the process starts over again. i enjoy it. i even enjoy splitting the wood for the following year.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2019 we lived off grid from 2013 up to 2019 we never could figure out why it would not stay lit tried every type of wood we had available which was oak,alligator juniper and shaggy bark cedar
we would get a good fire going and with in 2 hours it would literally all be burnt up it was so bad that i had alarms to wake me threw the night set for every two hours.

ithe stove would hold 6 or7 3 foot logs it was pretty large and it would literally burn them up in two hours

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to run a wood stove when I lived in Missouri, living in Florida I rarely even turn on the heat at all.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
We have a regency wood stove.
20171027_215945.jpg

We started it up about 2 weeks ago and its been kicking almost non-stop since. We have many acres of woods. When I moved into this house many years ago, the prior owners had a woodcraft stove That stove smoked like a 1800s locomotive but got extremely hot. The regency is much more newer and a lot more efficient.
20200323_165306.jpg

I write on the end of the wood when marker the month and year when I split the logs into firewood.

For a few years I was working so much I did not cut trees for firewood. We used the woods for bonfire parties and I planted trees in the spring. I cut down a tree every so often and we augmented our furnace heat with the fireplace.

The emerald ash borer changed that. When the ash started dying I got to serious felling of trees and splitting for firewood. Now I fell 9 to 12 trees in the fall and winter. I rotate the wood for drying and splitting. I let the logs dry further in the forest shelter and after year split them and store them.
20161203_165200.jpg

Right now I have what I figure is 4 to 6 years of wood split and dried. I picked up a used moister meeter at a pawn shop for practically nothing. My wood is about 20%.

OP
OP
Kype

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have a regency wood stove.
View attachment 1993505

We started it up about 2 weeks ago and its been kicking almost non-stop since. We have many acres of woods. When I moved into this house many years ago, the prior owners had a woodcraft stove That stove smoked like a 1800s locomotive but got extremely hot. The regency is much more newer and a lot more efficient.
View attachment 1993506
I write on the end of the wood when marker the month and year when I split the logs into firewood.

For a few years I was working so much I did not cut trees for firewood. We used the woods for bonfire parties and I planted trees in the spring. I cut down a tree every so often and we augmented our furnace heat with the fireplace.

The emerald ash borer changed that. When the ash started dying I got to serious felling of trees and splitting for firewood. Now I fell 9 to 12 trees in the fall and winter. I rotate the wood for drying and splitting. I let the logs dry further in the forest shelter and after year split them and store them.
View attachment 1993508
Right now I have what I figure is 4 to 6 years of wood split and dried. I picked up a used moister meeter at a pawn shop for practically nothing. My wood is about 20%.
i have a regency as well. very efficent. four pieces of firewood will burn a long time putting heat off. i like stoves because the stove gets hot and the pipe inside gives heat off. i just finished stacking 4 pallets of fresh firewood for the 2022-23 burning season. nothing like the heat a wood stoves gives off. i walk upstairs bare foot and the floor is warm. good ol radiant heat.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best home heating is wood . We have burned it all coal,Elect,Gas,and oil .A free standing wood stove or wood stove insert is the only way to go.With a couple ceiling fans to force the hot air down your snug as a bug in 20+ below,with 20 + winds outside.Heated our last home for 25 years with a 30 foot high free standing wood stove right in the middle of the home.:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kype

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best home heating is wood . We have burned it all coal,Elect,Gas,and oil .A free standing wood stove or wood stove insert is the only way to go.With a couple ceiling fans to force the hot air down your snug as a bug in 20+ below,with 20 + winds outside.Heated our last home for 25 years with a 30 foot high free standing wood stove right in the middle of the home.:)
yup. my stove sits in my basement. i installed floor registers and fans to blow hot air upstairs. works great. heats my whole house. i have 3 story house. each level is a 10 degree difference. so the basement is t shirt weather and the final level is perfect for sleeping.

Lamy Lineman

Sep 27, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Equinox600, Whites MXT all Pro, Whites XL Pro, Whites Bullseye, Deteknix X-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We live at 6,600 ft. in northern New Mexico. It can get down to -15 in winter. Most winters aren't that cold. I have a Danish made Morso stove that works awesome. We burn cedar and ponderosa. About 2-1/2 cords. From Nov thru March. Their technology is unreal. Heats a 1,000 sq.ft room. Kind of pricey @ $3,800, but a great and efficient stove. Had a chimney fire, very scary... Clean the stack about once a month now. Can't believe how much creosote I get every cleaning....

Attachments

• DSCN1731.jpg
    DSCN1731.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • DSCN1775.jpg
    DSCN1775.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
Reactions: RTR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread