Anyone still watching Gold Rush White Water, what are they doing wrong?

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Gold+Rush+White+Water

I'm surprised Discovery is still funding them, their last two seasons have been a disaster. They've already sunk almost $100k at this point I think. The creeks have a history of gold mining, they're using three dredges in two sites yet at their current season they've only got around 1 ounce after 6 weeks of dredging. What exactly are they doing wrong?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is creek dredging something that you can only really pull off with a team of people? Is it too dangerous for individual miner alone?

Once you start diving with a regulator you want a partner.

long arming, puddle jumping with a snorkle is pretty safe to do alone.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That area was worked heavily in the early 1900's by a crew who diverted the waterfall & removed thousands of ounces. The crew is aware of the fact there is little gold left to be found. It is being made for tv only. I get a good laugh out of it except when someone gets hurt. If it was a real project they would have been out of business by now.

Yep, they mentioned that(stream diversion) in the 1st or 2nd episode last year :icon_thumright:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I finally finished the 4th season of gold rush last night haha.

They should cut the Hoffman crew and just film parker and the dakotas. It's just embarrassing for them and they look dumb.

I also have the first three seasons of oak island but I had a hard time watching the first few shows. Already seems like a waste of time and going nowhere.

They find a piece of trash someone threw in a hole a couple years ago and it's a mystery! It must be a clue!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is creek dredging something that you can only really pull off with a team of people? Is it too dangerous for individual miner alone?

No, its not dangerous if you have some intelligence and common sense. You can hear the dredge running and know to come up when it stops, or you suddenly lose suction on the nozzle, or you get that first restricted breath off the regulator. Its a LOT more efficient if you have a topside to help out and swap roles periodically.

What you see in a lot of these shows is some VERY sketchy @#$%. If they are being completely honest (I have doubts) they are risking a myriad of problems, namely decompression sickness. They are talking about dredging 25+ foot deep holes in the rivers and spending all day working there. Once you start adding elevation to diving, you enter a whole new set of dive tables. Not to mentions they are working that deep without a bottle backup. They are one hose failure away from an emergency ascent, with 75+ pounds of lead, at altitude, after hours under water.... thats a recipe for DCS, if they dont actually drown. Then theres the homemade water heaters (which we have already seen multiple failures from), and the recreational level air compressors they are pushing to the max limits.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slick blasted smooth bedrock is not a producer. Banks are where it's at where they are at. Missed last couple of shows but a blaster nozzle sure would help move things along at a much improved pace. COSTS are astronomical up in AK boonies and very few if any actually make real money-aka profit from mining and not fake show production. Is it still on? John

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep...it is still on. It makes my days of dredging look awesome...these guys get a little in a pan and it is like a bunch of Newbies finding their first flake or picker. And the work they put in to get to their spots and set up is outrageous. Another Dakota Fred glory..... hole producing very little. Saying they are gonna find millions is a stretch. But for us old codgers who dredged all our lives it is interesting to see them go for it.

OP
OP
F

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really, really hope they aren't lying about this show and what they're finding is real. The next episode preview looks really, really good and they're finding nuggets now.

2.jpg 1.jpg

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dredging by yourself is just about as dangerous as any other solo outdoor activity. As you get bigger dredge wise having a helper or two really helps especially working under water. Just having someone help you with your diving gear, making sure things are running nice in the sluice it really ups the production.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Gold+Rush+White+Water

I'm surprised Discovery is still funding them, their last two seasons have been a disaster. They've already sunk almost $100k at this point I think. The creeks have a history of gold mining, they're using three dredges in two sites yet at their current season they've only got around 1 ounce after 6 weeks of dredging. What exactly are they doing wrong?

They are dredging a creek that has already been mined and in a spot that is not likely to hold a lot of gold.
What are they doing wrong? That depends on your perspective...the show is about drama, not gold

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are dredging a creek that has already been mined and in a spot that is not likely to hold a lot of gold.
What are they doing wrong? That depends on your perspective...the show is about drama, not gold

Funny thing about these mountain streams. With every big rain and every melt in the spring, there is a potential for these creeks to get loaded up with new gold that was exposed and ran down the side of the mountains. There are still lodes in the hills and the earthquakes etc keep opening up new areas that are sluffing off and ripping down these creeks and rivers. The old timers were good, but they did not get it all as is evidenced in going through old tailings piles.

I am the first to admit that I hate the BS drama in these shows. For some reason Discovery has made it a point to make us Alaskans look like bumbling idiots. Truth is, most of what you see are out of staters coming up here and making fools of themselves while we stand by and cringe. I will also admit that I would rather watch these guys sucking up dirt and some gold than to watch a lot of the other shows. Ancient Aliens and conspiracy theories don't do much for me.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Rush Whitewater is TV Show and its goal isn't to make a profit off the gold, the goal is to make a profit off the viewers and advertisers of said show. They know this river has been mined before and they only need to recover a few ounces per season to make a HUGE profit, which they have.

Gold Rush Whitewater is in it's 5th season with 52 syndicated episodes to date and has achieved record viewership:

Link:

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All they find are larger heavy nuggets no dirt left in the box ? I think there is more fine Gold going out the end of the sluice box then they are finding .:violent1:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Well just look at the flow they are running with their dredge. real fine gold will have a hard time staying put in the riffles under that heavy flow . And with no slick plate to help stratify the material , and as clay laden as it is ,the fines would wash out ! I haven't seen them do ANY check on their tailings to see what they are losing ! And maybe they don't care about the small stuff , after all they aren't paying the bills , Discovery Channel is ! OR then again maybe they all are independently rich to begin with ?????:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread