Anyone up to explore Kelly mine area?

1stTimeProspector

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2011
Belen, NM
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey was wondering if anyone wants to head down to Magdalena to Kelly Mine area to do some exploring! I've been out there two times now very very very interesting place!! I've personally explored 3 mines today 4/06/12 it was such an adventure today! I know they say no to go in to these tunnels, but I can't read anyways:laughing7:! The mines are all in solid rock but still accessible even though parts of the tunnel has fallen over the last several years. They are safe to go in solid walls and floors and ceiling well they appear anyway. Only one tunnel I've seen is inaccessible and that's Kelly tunnel. I went into the Sunshine tunnel found a lot of quartz crystal on the wall and some other minerals that I am unsure of. Upon entering the upper tunnel there is a tunnel off to the side underneath as you walk in. Looks like it goes back pretty far looks to be on solid ground as well. There is a shaft leading down to it approx. 40ft down the tunnel. At the end of the upper tunnel which goes back about approx. 100ft then climbs up about 20ft to a shaft all I could see was about 30ft up looks like another level up above,there is a wooden ladder but it is to loose to climb. From there the tunnel goes down approx. 10 ft to solid ground looks like it goes back farther but I wasn't able to proceed as it was getting late. I also went into the Germany tunnel (opposite of Sunshine) Goes back about 50ft to a "big room" about 10'X10' with a wall that is rusted looking red with small veins of what appears to be copper! Off to the left there is another tunnel with a shaft going down I threw a rock down it and thought I heard it hitting water but was unsure. Didn't check it out to much though maybe another day though:thumbsup:. Above that looks like two small tunnels that lead on. After that I hiked farther up the canyon and found yet another tunnel:headbang:!!! But it was flooded only about 1ft or two of water I shined my flashlight into it and looks like it hits dry land about 50ft back and continues, solid rock as well looks like a tunnel worth exploring as well!! Even though I can't find any info on the internet about it.

If anyone is into minerals and rocks and would like to go and explore these mines with me feel free to send me a message and let's plan for a day to head down there and check them out. I'm available any day of the week or weekend so let me know and I'll give you the details. I've learned that there is A LOT of minerals that came out of there including Smithsonite, Azurite,Barite,Quartz,Calcite,Pyrite and many other valuable minerals. This is a awesome area and I would love to share it with someone who is interested!!:icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft:

Sagebush

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2006
Las Vegas Nv
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mines that you are prospecting without permission are privately owned and the majority of the owners don't want you in them or claim jumping. The one you speak of with the water in it in the area you describe is very dangerous when one gets pass the water. Back is unstable and will fall on you with little effort.

threecats407

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was wondering about that post. Last time I was there years ago it was plain to me "Keep out". It was only later I found out you can snoop around the surrounding area some with a paid day fee at some store on the main drag

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread