Anyone using Lithium batteries for their pumps?

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thinking of getting rid of my lead batteries for lighter lithium to power my high banker or power sluice pumps and wondering who else is using these and what their experience is? It seems like the lithium batteries have improved the past few years and have also come down in price enough to consider, especially due to the weight savings. From what I've read they can be discharged lower than lead batteries while still keeping good power to the pump. Curious to hear real life stories.

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hybrid or any all electric plug-in vehicle. Lead acid would be too heavy and the copper-lead plates would get eaten alive by charging cycles. G_d help you if you charged a lead acid battery bank in an enclosed garage. Hydrogen gas and a small spark... instant Darwin Award!

Oct 2, 2019
Langley, BC
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Gold4mike, yes We use lithium batteries now with this little highbanker setup instead of lead acid...

It is NOT any lighter.. .my 20ah is about 5lbs. But its smaller, which is awesome as it fits easily inside a pocket of my pack now and I can stack two inside an ammo box for easy carrying. PLus i was always worried about the lead acid battery blowing up, leaking or ?? into the areas where I was working in the bush.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread