Anyone working the mxt e series in mariposa?

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
How big was the gold you recovered sluicing? if it was small flakes, no detector (other than the Falcon MD series) will find tiny flakes (the Falcon is not something you would use as a regular metal detector - its more like a pin pointer). Unless your gold pickers are around 1/10 of gram or larger, you are not likely to find them with quality gold metal detector. Large concentrations of small flakes don't read the same as a larger picker or nugget.

When I detect, I have a sample gold target that is glued to a plastic poker chip (note: the clay poker chips often behave just like hot rocks, so stick with a cheap plastic poker chip) that I can drop on the ground and make sure that i am able to find gold where I want to detect. The plastic poker chip is used so I can find my sample gold again.

Last edited:

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What coil are you using?

OP
OP
C

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Still searching for the right one
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
White's Eclipse Shooter DD 4 x 6" Search Coil is what I was using. I never expected to find super small gold I was just using the slucing example as a way of saying I'm finding less gold detecting. Thanks for the help y'all.

OP
OP
C

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
.1 to .15 grams of gold where the bigger pieces I found.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just have'nt swept the coil over a detectable nugget yet. Try Hyper-sat and +3 on the gain to start, then slowly back off the gain till she runs smoothly. Remember those tiny nuggets don't give a zip-zip but a slight bump or rise in the threshold and are deep in the bedrock.
I carry a small test nugget with me and scan it once in a while to keep that sound fresh in my ears.

Beeping for gold takes the patience of a saint, but the rewards can be huge.

andre1002

Jan 11, 2013
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star/Whites MXT/Minelab e-trac/Garrett PP/sunray X-1 inline probe.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I go up to Maraposa (briceburg/bagby) almost every other week from Merced for the last year. I just recently (2months ago) purchased the mxt w/4x6 shooter, Hoping to better my odds. So far I have found zero gold. Dug many signals but they all turn up being trash.. I think that once I eventually do get the coil over some of the yellow stuff the MXT will let me know.

OP
OP
C

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
andre1002 said:
I go up to Maraposa (briceburg/bagby) almost every other week from Merced for the last year. I just recently (2months ago) purchased the mxt w/4x6 shooter, Hoping to better my odds. So far I have found zero gold. Dug many signals but they all turn up being trash.. I think that once I eventually do get the coil over some of the yellow stuff the MXT will let me know.

I have been putting in a lot of time to. I'm from merced also. I know I just need to keep swinging it, but I get a little discouraged at times. I'd rather be discouraged than defeated that's for sure. Thanks again and I hope you hit a nice nugget.

OP
OP
C

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hemisteve said:
You just have'nt swept the coil over a detectable nugget yet. Try Hyper-sat and +3 on the gain to start, then slowly back off the gain till she runs smoothly. Remember those tiny nuggets don't give a zip-zip but a slight bump or rise in the threshold and are deep in the bedrock.
I carry a small test nugget with me and scan it once in a while to keep that sound fresh in my ears.

Beeping for gold takes the patience of a saint, but the rewards can be huge.

Thanks Steve. What does this bump sound like? I think the most frustrating part is when I get what I think is a signal it either goes away or turns into a hot rock party, mariposa has plenty hot rocks. Lol.

andre1002

Jan 11, 2013
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star/Whites MXT/Minelab e-trac/Garrett PP/sunray X-1 inline probe.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahh . A fellow Mercedian. So I take it you have been to applegate park? Ive been getting some good coins and going on my 3rd ring. 2-silver, 1-14K.

OP
OP
C

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
andre1002 said:
Ahh . A fellow Mercedian. So I take it you have been to applegate park? Ive been getting some good coins and going on my 3rd ring. 2-silver, 1-14K.

I haven't been there yet. I'm a little nervous about going to public parks. But it's been on my mind I just hate the way people look at you all crazy. I'm sure ill get over it. How do you handle it? Man you sound like your killing it with those rings.

andre1002

Jan 11, 2013
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
O'man dont be nervous about the park. The only people that are usually there are the homeless people over by the concert shell.. They never bother me, I'm in Applegate usually 2-3 times a week and the only people that have ever even talked to me are people that ask if I found anything.(I usually reply "just some pennys") and they go about there way.. 2 of the rings I found were over by the zoo area next to the B-Ball courts and the gold one I got from the volly ball court.. The best thing about applegate is that its so big it hasnt been hunted out. I'm finding lots of 50's and 60's coins a 1933 canadian wheat penny and a hand full of U.S. wheat cents.. I work nights at the UC so if your ever up for a afternoon hunt on sunday thru tues(my days off) then let me know.. Its easier to go with someone anyway.. I have another friend here in merced I usually go with but he has 5 kids so we rarely get out togother.. I know some silve is there I just havent found it YET! lol -Rob

Last edited:

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP3000, GP3500 , Whites MXT Pro, GMT , Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher Gold Bug , Sun-Ray DX-1 probe, Falcon MD-20, Minelab PF-25
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Charles. Are you finding small lead shot ? Or similar small non-ferrous targets? If you are. You are on the right track. A small nugget sounds just like a small lead shot target of almost similar size. If you are finding these. Keep on it. I can dig 100 trash targets before a yellow one shows up. Maybe slow down your swing a bit. Small gold doesn't yell at you. It's a light whisper , but pronounced zip on the MXT.
Once you find your first gold with that unit , it just gets easier. People always say it. The first is the hardest. But it's very very true.
I sometimes use my MXT for small gold but, usually a GMT. But with the MXT I find I have to slow down a bit. It's not as hot on small targets as the GMT.

Hemisteve left a great post, simple. Read it . Again

The 4x6 Shooter is the ticket as far as the MXT on gold goes. No need to change that. In mineralized ground, in Plumas smallest I've found with MXT and 4x6 coil is .8 grain. And it was a whisper . About 1 inch down. WITH good headphones. Not bad . Compared to the GMT , no contest. If I HAD to keep one detector, of all, of them I would probably keep the MXT. No BS. It does everything really good. No other can say that I feel. It doesn't find the smallest, nor the biggest - deepest gold. But it's not designed to do that.

What headset are you using ?

I have hunted the Snelling area on numerous occasions, with less than excellent success . A couple ok finds . Nothing great . Its not far from me , I need to get out that way more, and find new areas. Close drive from home, for a closer foothill hunt.

Family property in Tuolumne and Plumas areas are usually where I prospect..

Last edited:

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Steve. What does this bump sound like? I think the most frustrating part is when I get what I think is a signal it either goes away or turns into a hot rock party, mariposa has plenty hot rocks. Lol.

Running in autotracking may be the reason for signals fading away. GB the unit and stick it in the "lock" position... and recheck the GB often to ensure you're properly ground-balanced. Tracking is helpful with hotrocks, but the first priority is hearing tiny gold signals... and autotracking may be the culprit. Just a suggestion you likely have already tried...

Jim.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll second Jim's comment, go manual and try it slightly hot (so the coil beeps on the way down).

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP3000, GP3500 , Whites MXT Pro, GMT , Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher Gold Bug , Sun-Ray DX-1 probe, Falcon MD-20, Minelab PF-25
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good point . Running the ground balance hot might be the ticket. Some areas I detect change drastically from one end of the swing to another .Ill have to make a conscious effort to stay on top of the ground balance. It can get tedious. Regardless what detector one is using.

OP
OP
C

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
andre1002 said:
O'man dont be nervous about the park. The only people that are usually there are the homeless people over by the concert shell.. They never bother me, I'm in Applegate usually 2-3 times a week and the only people that have ever even talked to me are people that ask if I found anything.(I usually reply "just some pennys") and they go about there way.. 2 of the rings I found were over by the zoo area next to the B-Ball courts and the gold one I got from the volly ball court.. The best thing about applegate is that its so big it hasnt been hunted out. I'm finding lots of 50's and 60's coins a 1933 canadian wheat penny and a hand full of U.S. wheat cents.. I work nights at the UC so if your ever up for a afternoon hunt on sunday thru tues(my days off) then let me know.. Its easier to go with someone anyway.. I have another friend here in merced I usually go with but he has 5 kids so we rarely get out togother.. I know some silve is there I just havent found it YET! lol -Rob

Apple gate park sounds like a plan. I've been wanting to go there. Ill hit you up and make it happen. Do you know Roy Hogland? He's a good friend of mine from my archery shooting days. Did the gold ring zip zip?

Btw scored a wheat penny 5 quarters 1 dime and a peso at my grandpas place in Kerman. I was stocked cause those quarters don't come easy. Btw if your interested I got man interesting place in merced I want to detect do to its historical prowess. Message me, so you can tell me if it sounds like a pipe dream.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ca70 said:
Charles. Are you finding small lead shot ? Or similar small non-ferrous targets? If you are. You are on the right track. A small nugget sounds just like a small lead shot target of almost similar size. If you are finding these. Keep on it. I can dig 100 trash targets before a yellow one shows up. Maybe slow down your swing a bit. Small gold doesn't yell at you. It's a light whisper , but pronounced zip on the MXT.
Once you find your first gold with that unit , it just gets easier. People always say it. The first is the hardest. But it's very very true.
I sometimes use my MXT for small gold but, usually a GMT. But with the MXT I find I have to slow down a bit. It's not as hot on small targets as the GMT.

Hemisteve left a great post, simple. Read it . Again

The 4x6 Shooter is the ticket as far as the MXT on gold goes. No need to change that. In mineralized ground, in Plumas smallest I've found with MXT and 4x6 coil is .8 grain. And it was a whisper . About 1 inch down. WITH good headphones. Not bad . Compared to the GMT , no contest. If I HAD to keep one detector, of all, of them I would probably keep the MXT. No BS. It does everything really good. No other can say that I feel. It doesn't find the smallest, nor the biggest - deepest gold. But it's not designed to do that.

What headset are you using ?

I have hunted the Snelling area on numerous occasions, with less than excellent success . A couple ok finds . Nothing great . Its not far from me , I need to get out that way more, and find new areas. Close drive from home, for a closer foothill hunt.

Family property in Tuolumne and Plumas areas are usually where I prospect..

I found one less shot last time I went out and I was very happy, but then the ghost targets came back. Lol. The lead shot have a nice zip zip and vdi at 88.
Please tell me more about snelling that place is 15 mins from my house. I would love sone intel on those piles.

What headphones am I using? I an using the jolly Rogers . I was told they were a good set. Hopefully that was true. Thanks again for the wisdom. I need all I can get.

OP
OP
C

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim Hemmingway said:
Running in autotracking may be the reason for signals fading away. GB the unit and stick it in the "lock" position... and recheck the GB often to ensure you're properly ground-balanced. Tracking is helpful with hotrocks, but the first priority is hearing tiny gold signals... and autotracking may be the culprit. Just a suggestion you likely have already tried...

Jim.

I have locked , unlocked and locked again. Lol manual ground balance is very intense cause you can't get lazy or complacent, but it's probably the best bet cause its going to give the machine something concrete to work with. I am going to run it in manual for a while and see what changes. How Do you check the machine to see if your still properly grounded? By pumping it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions