APMEX

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey-
I know this has been discussed before that many people believe this is one of the better places to sell to. I talked to my local coin shop and they are buying 90% half dollars at about $9.00 per coin. I told him I come into a lot of silver hoping that we may be able to make a better deal in the future. Anyone have any idea how close APMEX is to spot price? Yes we get it for face value, but we definitely want to sell it for as much as possible!
Thanks folks
N8

Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Just call them.. and ask. Prices change all the time but APMEX gives good rates. Probably dealers after they take your coin and sell to APMEX and pocket the difference.

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a bunch of 40%ers to them back in April/May 2011 - they paid the highest out of everyone I called (about 94% of melt for 40%ers). Insured shipping was like $50 bucks but well worth it! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
APMEX lists the price it will buy bullion or coin. Go to the item want and it gives both its sell and buy price. Both are tied to the spot price and will change as the spot changes. I used to buy a lot from APMEX, but never sold to them. You also have to account for your cost to ship the item to them.

A while back I switched to Bullion Direct. They have a feature called Nucleo Exchange which is essentially an auction site for a variety of precious metal products. It is very well run. They have a Bid and ask list for each item, and you simply indicate what you are willing to buy or sell for. The highest listed price and quantity is available for immediate sale. You can either have them store it with them or arrange for delivery. Items must be in their possession to be bought or sold - so you are not purchasing a promise, you are getting ownership of the real thing. Like APMEX you have to ship items to them before they can be offered for sale. Unlike APMEX you get your price when it sells. BD makes its money from a 1% transaction charge.

Worth looking into.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
APMEX is A-1. at least call and get a quote. you will probably have to set up an account online before they will talk to you but it is no big deal. i have sold to them several times and they are easy to deal with and send out payments fast. i usually deal with trey, try and ask for him.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
APMEX is good that you only need $1000 melt value but you have to pay shipping and insurance so while they quote you 93-94% melt you gotta eat the shipping and insurance on several grand isnt a fortune but it will cost you a little.

In LA theres a place called California Numismatic Investments near LAX airport and you need $500 face minimum to get the best buy price but you will get like 93-94% spot you could probably ship it to them to if you had enough. this is their website.

http://www.golddealer.com/

and more importantly their bullion buy/sell page

http://www.golddealer.com/bullionpage.html

Hope that helps. I sold one time at CNI and was very pleased. Good store, great collections to look at while its your turn, the guards are for real packing major heat, its a safe place!

HH
Bigheed

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I wonder what APMEX does when the prices of these PM's drop and he got caught holding the bag. I'm sure they have inventory of coins where they paid higher prices still sitting around. Perhaps it's made up by the ones they bought when prices were lower?

Also for those who sell to them.. you have to have $1000 worth to sell which is the minimum. Not 1k face but 1k of what they're willing to pay you.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
their buy price today for $1000 face (they give the same buy price for $500 face but not less) is 19950 so $19.95 per $1 face value of 90% silver coinage

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Bigheed said:
their buy price today for $1000 face (they give the same buy price for $500 face but not less) is 19950 so $19.95 per $1 face value of 90% silver coinage

That's still pretty good.. I was expecting lower.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
As of 10 minutes ago, they are paying $20.59 per $1 face of 90%. Certainly depends on volume. JP

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
n8dagr8345 said:
Hey-
I know this has been discussed before that many people believe this is one of the better places to sell to. I talked to my local coin shop and they are buying 90% half dollars at about $9.00 per coin. I told him I come into a lot of silver hoping that we may be able to make a better deal in the future. Anyone have any idea how close APMEX is to spot price? Yes we get it for face value, but we definitely want to sell it for as much as possible!
Thanks folks
N8
[/quote

If you're selling a bunch, APMEX will be a great place to sell. If you're only wanting to sell a few, your local coin shop (as they are paying 18x face which ain't bad at today's spot price) would be very fair IMO. Unless you have enough silver to sell to offset the cost of insured certified mail that APMEX requires, then your coin shop will likely be your best bet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread