Arapahoe Princess Treasure any new clues?

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I am trying to find any new or old clues to the Arapaho Princess Treasure. Do any of you know if there were any Spanish treasure signs associated with the treasure and if so can you share them. Like the location of the “Doll” looking rock? I have no idea of where it could be?

I know about the shovel but if there was anything in paticular besides that clue would be greatly appreicated and could help to find its location as not all publications relate to this story and have only found a few.

Thanks

Regards

LUE-Hawn

Last edited:

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Possible Muneca Rocks Location) La Veta Pass is located between the towns of Fort Garland and La Veta, with US 160 crossing it. The distance would be 30-40 miles, depending on how measured. Fort Garland is bisected by US 160, the town of La Veta lies a bit to the south of this highway.The elevation of La Veta Pass is 9,413 feet. It is a fairly easy pass to navigate, although notable for a fairly long and moderately steep grade on the east side.The DR&G railroad laid tracks on this route in 1877. This line was moved to a pass further south in 1899 when the shift from narrow to standard gauge tracks made that more practical.
There is an old and narrow road often visible just across the canyon to the south. This may well have been the original road.
The Muneca Rocks are apparently a geologic landmark in the vicinity of La Veta Pass. They may be notable as the location of a lost Spanish mine. (Transcribed from City-Data.com - Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more). I have more on the Arapaho Princess treasure at home. Will send later.

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Books/articles with reference to Arapaho Princess treasure story:
- Treasure Tales of the Rockies by Perry Eberhart.
- Buried Treasure You Can Find by Robert F Marx.
- A Guide To Treasure In Colorado by H Glenn Carson
- Colorado Treasure Tales by WC Jameson
- Spooky Colorado by SE Schlosser
- Legend Keeper by Louis B Sporleder
areas I would concentrate on:-Apishapa Valley Arapaho County south of Spanish Peaks. -NW slope of West Spanish Peaks. -West of Aguilar towards East Spanish Peaks. - 5 miles east of Las Animas stone cliffs above Purgatiore River.
Points of Interest related to story: Taos Mountain Trail or Trappers Trail to Taos, Huerfano Colorado, possible route miners would take south. - Arapaho villages in the Apishapa Valley. Apishapa Arch Highway 46. Possible overland routes from/to mine.
If you are local, talk to the old timers and descendants from the Arapaho tribe. Not much written about this treasure. Will require boots on the ground and finding credible leads from locals.
Good luck to you.

Troaso

Nov 24, 2021
Hello All,

I am trying to find any new or old clues to the Arapaho Princess Treasure. Do any of you know if there were any Spanish treasure signs associated with the treasure and if so can you share them. Like the location of the “Doll” looking rock? I have no idea of where it could be?

I know about the shovel but if there was anything in paticular besides that clue would be greatly appreicated and could help to find its location as not all publications relate to this story and have only found a few.

Thanks

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post a picture of the Doll if you can. Crop out the surrounding landscape so you don't reveal your location.
Contact me on private message if you want to discuss research material.
Dirt

Troaso

Nov 24, 2021
Post a picture of the Doll if you can. Crop out the surrounding landscape so you don't reveal your location.
Dirt

Contact me on private message if you want to discuss

Dirt
Let me think on the pic. I can confirm that it is approximately 30 feet tall. All the clues that I have attained seem to match up. I have been in the area and will go back in May or September. I would love any more clues however information on this story seems limited. I'm going to pay a visit to the Arapahoe nation in Wyoming during the Summer to see if there is anything in their records.

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me think on the pic. I can confirm that it is approximately 30 feet tall. All the clues that I have attained seem to match up. I have been in the area and will go back in May or September. I would love any more clues however information on this story seems limited. I'm going to pay a visit to the Arapahoe nation in Wyoming during the Summer to see if there is anything in their records.
Excellent idea contacting the tribe. I will go through my files and send you what I have. Better for you to sort out material since you are in the field. Expect a PM in a couple weeks.

Troaso

Nov 24, 2021
Thank you. I believe now at least some parts of this particular story has some truth to it.

Tony

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I believe now at least some parts of this particular story has some truth to it.

Tony
Go to the Forums by location, scroll down on Forums all the way to the bottom you will see it select Colorado go to Treasure Legends of Colorado I think you might find something there under Spanish Princess treasure by Riggin.

Troaso

Nov 24, 2021
Cyzak, all of the state forums are a great place to start. Excellent advice!
I have also found a shovel at the site where I have located what I believe is the "Doll" Muneca however, it's not what I expected. The forums only mention a shovel that marks the "spot" left behind by the Spanish. The Arapahoe tribe hopefully will provide some insight this Summer.

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have also found a shovel at the site where I have located what I believe is the "Doll" Muneca however, it's not what I expected. The forums only mention a shovel that marks the "spot" left behind by the Spanish. The Arapahoe tribe hopefully will provide some insight this Summer.
I've always thought finding the village location was the key. Once you have that location, you can canvas the area for the Doll Rock, then the supposed 300 foot distance to the treasure site. How would one find the village assuming the tribe always returned or stayed in the same location? Need a water source nearby. Need shelter from the wind and rain, etc. Need to defend against hostile intruders. Locating old trails which turned into roads, railways, etc. Did the tribe trade with trappers and spaniards? The Taos Trail and off shoots from it have always interested me as a good starting point. Researching tribal lore and legend (need connection to the tribe) is an excellent idea. I do believe some of the long time treasure hunters found the village and kept it to themselves. Doubtful they retrieved the treasure. Today's more sophisticated electronic equipment and use of ariel drones to scout areas makes it plausable someone might just get lucky...Best to all who seek treasure and the excitement of the hunt.
Dirt

Troaso

Nov 24, 2021
I've always thought finding the village location was the key. Once you have that location, you can canvas the area for the Doll Rock, then the supposed 300 foot distance to the treasure site. How would one find the village assuming the tribe always returned or stayed in the same location? Need a water source nearby. Need shelter from the wind and rain, etc. Need to defend against hostile intruders. Locating old trails which turned into roads, railways, etc. Did the tribe trade with trappers and spaniards? The Taos Trail and off shoots from it have always interested me as a good starting point. Researching tribal lore and legend (need connection to the tribe) is an excellent idea. I do believe some of the long time treasure hunters found the village and kept it to themselves. Doubtful they retrieved the treasure. Today's more sophisticated electronic equipment and use of ariel drones to scout areas makes it plausable someone might just get lucky...Best to all who seek treasure and the excitement of the hunt.
Dirt
Your thoughts are so right on all of this. Even at the location, it will take metal detection and some work to locate the bars.

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your thoughts are so right on all of this. Even at the location, it will take metal detection and some work to locate the bars.
I went through my files. I have nothing to add to the material I have already posted here previously. I believe you are at the right spot. Let us know how you make out with your hunt. A simple "I found it" will satisfy me. Others will want to see pictures of the find. One note: It's been tradition amongst treasure hunters who dig up actual treasure to leave a momento behind in the excavation for those who follow so they know it s been found. Take care.

Dirt

Troaso

Nov 24, 2021
I went through my files. I have nothing to add to the material I have already posted here previously. I believe you are at the right spot. Let us know how you make out with your hunt. A simple "I found it" will satisfy me. Others will want to see pictures of the find. One note: It's been tradition amongst treasure hunters who dig up actual treasure to leave a momento behind in the excavation for those who follow so they know it s been found. Take care.

Dirt
I definitely will take pictures and reveal the location and post that to everyone. Even if this is the location, like I said it will take some searching the area still. We will leave a momento. Planning a trip back out late next month.

OP
OP
LUE-Hawn

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely will take pictures and reveal the location and post that to everyone. Even if this is the location, like I said it will take some searching the area still. We will leave a momento. Planning a trip back out late next month.
Hello,

I am quite interested in seeing the photographs of the doll. It has always intrigued me. The story of the Arapahoe Princess treasure 50 pound gold bars. Please add a photograph.

Thanks

LUE-Hawn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread