ARAZ..... Butterfield stage coach station

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
N 32° 45.017 W 114° 41.781
11S E 715825 N 3625951
Historic Adobe building. Used as a Butterfield stage coach station, established in 1861.

Located on CA Highway S24 near Pilot Knob. From Yuma take I8 to the Algodones/Andrade exit. Turn right and follow the road 1.6 miles. The building is on the right or south side of the road.
If you visit please watch out for snakes and other desert critters that you may aggitate.

Attachments

• araz ca.jpg
    araz ca.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 623

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Thanks Gypsy for sharing,

It sure is a beautiful structure, Amazing it has survived 150 years. I believe this Butterfield stage stop is the Indian Wells station, It measures 18' feet by 30' feet and behind the stage stop about 85 yards is a dry creek.

Many stage stops changed names, The Indian Wells station may have had a different name soon after the butterfield stage route ended and maybe even a couple of name changes there after.

Thanks again for sharing, She sure is a beautiful structure.

HH, Paul (Ca)

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
Gypsy Heart said:
N 32° 45.017 W 114° 41.781
11S E 715825 N 3625951
Historic Adobe building. Used as a Butterfield stage coach station, established in 1861.

Located on CA Highway S24 near Pilot Knob. From Yuma take I8 to the Algodones/Andrade exit. Turn right and follow the road 1.6 miles. The building is on the right or south side of the road.
If you visit please watch out for snakes and other desert critters that you may aggitate.
The photo of the interesting adobe structure has often been mentioned as a Butterfield Overland Mail Company Station. It wasn't. The Butterfield Station for this area was on the bank of the Colorado River one mile from Fort Yuma. It was Jaeger's Stage Station. You state that the station was established in 1861. The Butterfield line closed in March 1861.

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
Old California said:
Thanks Gypsy for sharing,

It sure is a beautiful structure, Amazing it has survived 150 years. I believe this Butterfield stage stop is the Indian Wells station, It measures 18' feet by 30' feet and behind the stage stop about 85 yards is a dry creek.

Many stage stops changed names, The Indian Wells station may have had a different name soon after the butterfield stage route ended and maybe even a couple of name changes there after.

Thanks again for sharing, She sure is a beautiful structure.

HH, Paul (Ca)

Indian Wells Stage Station was a stage station of the Butterfield Overland Mail Company from September 1858 to March 1861. It was located not far from El Centro, California, on the west bank of New River. It has disappeared as it was washed away when the river completely shifted its channel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread