Are dug coins key dates worth anything?

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 4

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never clean a coin with any kind of cleaner, etc. That lowers the value. Easiest thing to do is check with a coin dealer on anything you find. A corroded Jefferson isn't going to have much market. Probably more value in your collection for bragging rights... ;)
Never say never. There are times when cleaning will improve the value of a coin substantially. You get something totally encrusted to where you can see any detail including the date, and it's pretty much worthless. You clean it and find a rare date/mint mark, and it will have more value than a totally featureless metal disc.

PastorBillV

Jul 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never say never. There are times when cleaning will improve the value of a coin substantially. You get something totally encrusted to where you can see any detail including the date, and it's pretty much worthless. You clean it and find a rare date/mint mark, and it will have more value than a totally featureless metal disc.
Note that I said with a cleaner. Yes, removing crust carefully, indeed, helps value. But cleaners change the surface and lower value.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not always. I've seen real blotchy looking tarnish or other uneven patina on a coin detract from a coins eye appeal and value. After a dip in Jeweluster or similar, the eye appeal and value went up, sometimes dramatically. That doesn't apply to every instance, but, many times it does. It most depends on the purchaser and what they think looks good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread