Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
During my scanty research, I can't help but realize that there doesn't seem to be a lot of MD activity in Provo or Orem areas. Anybody know why?

Jamin,

I am curious also. It appeared when I started on T-net that the Utah Branch was very quiet. I guess most do not want to share their finds.

I am fine with sharing but I expect ethical courtesy as I am sure everyone else does. If someone has obtained permission to MD private property, others should respect that and wait/ask for an invitation. Also, if invited, they do not take that as being free to return whenever they like. They are a guest of not only the original MD'er but also of the property owner through that original MD'er. That permission can be quickly denied to all if someone starts poaching another's "claim".

When I take someone to MD property I have secured, I will do so only after getting the okay from the property owner and we will meet the property owner prior to MD'ing. It is the right thing to do.

Public land (State, County, City) is fair game, so no one can lay claim to a city park etc.

Basically it comes down to what type of MD'ers are out here in Utah?

adamlux

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2012
Papa Bear and others. I live in American Fork and go out a few times a week right now. I'm trying to get as much in before the weather turns. I have a basic face book page called Utah metal detecting and prospecting. I've organized a few outings but it ends up usually our little group. I stopped setting these up because with a group of 3-6 none of them took me to any of their spots. I like other people going with me but the Utah county detectors that have contacted me have been selfish. I have 3 types of spots. My secret favorite spots, my local buddies only spots and then a public group spot.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Papa Bear and others. I live in American Fork and go out a few times a week right now. I'm trying to get as much in before the weather turns. I have a basic face book page called Utah metal detecting and prospecting. I've organized a few outings but it ends up usually our little group. I stopped setting these up because with a group of 3-6 none of them took me to any of their spots. I like other people going with me but the Utah county detectors that have contacted me have been selfish. I have 3 types of spots. My secret favorite spots, my local buddies only spots and then a public group spot.

Its not just Utah county hunters. Its up here in Salt Lake County too. No one wants anyone to know where they find stuff or even what they find. its all very strange behavior to someone like me. Ill tell you where I find things. This hobby is not only for me. Even in the clubs they are very tight lipped. That is why I dont go to them anymore. I belonged to the NUTS and the UTA and just stopped going. It almost made me get out of the hobby for a while. But I decided not to let them win.

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Good evening everyone. I am going to work in the SLC area in January and am looking for folks to go out and hunt with. I am not looking for anyone's spots, just folks to get out with and enjoy the hobby. If anyone is interested in getting out and hunting the first of the year shoot me a pm and I will get back with ya. I have had the pleasure to hunt with some great folks from TNET, from Illinois and Indiana to Louisiana, Florida and the great state of TEXAS (Sorry Texan born Texan bred). I hope to be able to continue. Thanks. TMAN...

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening everyone. I am going to work in the SLC area in January and am looking for folks to go out and hunt with. I am not looking for anyone's spots, just folks to get out with and enjoy the hobby. If anyone is interested in getting out and hunting the first of the year shoot me a pm and I will get back with ya. I have had the pleasure to hunt with some great folks from TNET, from Illinois and Indiana to Louisiana, Florida and the great state of TEXAS (Sorry Texan born Texan bred). I hope to be able to continue. Thanks. TMAN...

Heres an early welcome to Salt Lake. I think you may want to leave your detector at home and come out with some ice fishing poles and gear. Im thinking by January the ground is going to be pretty hard. But if youre in the area drop me a PM.

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Heres an early welcome to Salt Lake. I think you may want to leave your detector at home and come out with some ice fishing poles and gear. Im thinking by January the ground is going to be pretty hard. But if youre in the area drop me a PM.

Thanks for the welcome USMC. I just found out that I will be out there on the second of January for a while. I hunted in the Chicago area for 3 years when I worked up there, hunted sub freezing temps and snow on the ground so it doesnt bother me much but dang I hate hunting with a pick axe. LOL. I will shoot a pm when I get in town and set up. Looking forward to meeting some new hunting buddies. I hunted some in Florida but was by myself most of the time and really missed hunting with someone.

OP
OP
J

jamin_03

Jul 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washinton
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome USMC. I just found out that I will be out there on the second of January for a while. I hunted in the Chicago area for 3 years when I worked up there, hunted sub freezing temps and snow on the ground so it doesnt bother me much but dang I hate hunting with a pick axe. LOL. I will shoot a pm when I get in town and set up. Looking forward to meeting some new hunting buddies. I hunted some in Florida but was by myself most of the time and really missed hunting with someone.

I might be interested in coming up to SLC, Tman. I'm a student about 45 minutes south of SLC. Keep me posted with the hunts and I'll see if I can make some time to come up.

Jamin

Jul 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Provo Treasure Hunt is fun

It isn't metal detecting, but it is hunting for real treasure.

The second annual Treasure Hunt starts on Wed. July 31. There are mini-hunts for stuff like cases of pop and gift certificates to restaurants, as well as Cash prizes (three $1,000 prizes and one $2,000 prize).

We give out a clue a day for the grand prize and a clue a day for the mini-hunts. They are more like brain teasers, riddles and parts of hints that you have to put together. Last years clues as well as the solution is still up on the website - ProvoTreasureHunt.com

I know it isn't metal detecting, but it shares a lot of the same characteristics - most notably the thrill of finding something hidden that nobody else has!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread