🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Are These Diamonds?

JayG83

Dec 27, 2021
Abilene, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read as much as I could and looked at every image on the internet...and yet I'm still not confident if these are diamonds. Why? Because for every precious gemstone, there are 10 other stones that look exactly the same. 😂 I know kimberlite, blue ground, natural erosion of diamonds, trigons, rubies and sapphire both being the same mineral...it's an insane amount of information, but I'm obsessed. I just need help from you all now!
20220102_114554.jpg
20220102_114405.jpg
20220102_114453.jpg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From a previous post, you mentioned you dug these up near Sweetwater, TX. In your research, did you look to see if there was any history of diamonds in your region? I went to Google Earth to look around, after your last post. Very flat terrain. Your specimens, assuming they weren't hauled in from somewhere else, are the more durable minerals, a concentration, left over after the erosion of an uplift, or range, millions of years ago. They appear to have remained in place, largely, while the matrix eroded and washed away. The crystals show some damage, but did not spend much time tumbling, IMO. This concentrate likely was trapped in place somewhere, buried, with just enough binder, the heat and pressure within the earth cooked it into stone again. Further erosion over time, has brought it near the surface again, for you to find. I doubt they're diamonds. None have been found in your area, from what I could find.

Upvote 8
OP
OP
JayG83

JayG83

Dec 27, 2021
Abilene, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they look like quartz to me and as diamonds would be worthless anyway as they have zero clarity.
Wouldn't they need cleaning and polishing first? And if they were diamonds with no clarity, they would be used for industrial purposes. Diamond grinders, etc. At least from what I've read. I could be a wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 2
OP
OP
JayG83

JayG83

Dec 27, 2021
Abilene, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From a previous post, you mentioned you dug these up near Sweetwater, TX. In your research, did you look to see if there was any history of diamonds in your region? I went to Google Earth to look around, after your last post. Very flat terrain. Your specimens, assuming they weren't hauled in from somewhere else, are the more durable minerals, a concentration, left over after the erosion of an uplift, or range, millions of years ago. They appear to have remained in place, largely, while the matrix eroded and washed away. The crystals show some damage, but did not spend much time tumbling, IMO. This concentrate likely was trapped in place somewhere, buried, with just enough binder, the heat and pressure within the earth cooked it into stone again. Further erosion over time, has brought it near the surface again, for you to find. I doubt they're diamonds. None have been found in your area, from what I could find.
Yes I read that only 1 diamond has ever been found...lol. the old trade routes and the Native American history being right where I'm at makes me think I can find things.

Upvote 1

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I suspect some people won't like hearing this... but I feel have to say it. I speak as a looongtime rockhound (fossil & mineral hunter), a Geology Minor, a college-trained archeologist, and a lover of old (1700s-&-1800s) ruins. Your "rock" looks to me like a broken chunk of extremely old and weathered light-yellowish concrete made with a sand-&-gravel matrix, rather than a Natural Conglomerate rock. But of course, I could be mistaken. I must confess, that has happened more than just once or twice.

Upvote 10
OP
OP
JayG83

JayG83

Dec 27, 2021
Abilene, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I read that only 1 diamond has ever been found...lol. the old trade routes and the Native American history being right where I'm at makes me think I can find things.
The gentleman who owns the property has found about 100 arrowheads through his time here, about 30 years. And then this article about the silver... it's like I'm right on top off an old traffic route or something.
20211224_154513.jpg
20211228_161645.jpg

I suspect some people won't like hearing this... but I feel have to say it. I speak as a looongtime rockhound (fossil & mineral hunter), a Geology Minor, a college-trained archeologist, and a lover of old (1700s-&-1800s) ruins. Your "rock" looks to me like a broken chunk of extremely old and weathered light-yellowish concrete made with a sand-&-gravel matrix, rather than a Natural Conglomerate rock. But of course, I could be mistaken. I must confess, that has happened more than just once or twice.
Yep I'm sure it happens all the time too! Thinking everything is a diamond that is... my feelings aren't hurt. What about the first pictures I posted of them? There's a stone that reflects different colors when I drag the light across. I wonder if you can post videos...lol

Attachments

• 20220101_145800.jpg
    20220101_145800.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220101_145809.jpg
    20220101_145809.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220101_145824.jpg
    20220101_145824.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220101_150002.jpg
    20220101_150002.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220101_150019.jpg
    20220101_150019.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 43
Upvote 1

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, concrete would work, too! More than likely. Thanks.

Upvote 1

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Wet the stone with water, take it somewhere dark to force the camera to flash.

If the black material is a sulfide impregnated with precious metals which do not oxidize you'll see reflections from the flash. Similar to the float on this black sand sample below.

flash.JPG

Upvote 1

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What are they? Topaz? Quartz? Corundum? And how can you tell they're not diamonds, ' because I want to know what to look for...thanks!
In the majority of cases diamonds are not jagged. Secondly, diamonds are usually sort of symmetrical. Thirdly, diamonds have an "oily" luster...they shine with the same look as when you pour oil on water...that "rainbowish" luster, which is called "adamantine", and it's never dull. Fourthly, diamonds usually have at least one face that has triangular growth patterns on it.
Jim

Upvote 1
OP
OP
JayG83

JayG83

Dec 27, 2021
Abilene, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the majority of cases diamonds are not jagged. Secondly, diamonds are usually sort of symmetrical. Thirdly, diamonds have an "oily" luster...they shine with the same look as when you pour oil on water...that "rainbowish" luster, which is called "adamantine", and it's never dull. Fourthly, diamonds usually have at least one face that has triangular growth patterns on it.
Jim
Thanks Jim.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread