• IMG_20211016_153516.jpg
    IMG_20211016_153516.jpg
    622.7 KB · Views: 88

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Edible at least once. Survivable . . . less certain.

I have two books on identifying mushrooms and I still only trust two that I find locally. For every one that is safely edible there are four that look just like it that are toxic or unsafe to eat. Some that grow on tree are edible, while another that looks identical but grows in the soil is not.

Seek out someone (like from a cooperative extension office) that can examine them first hand.

I used to work in a neighboorhood that had a lot of decendents of Scandanavian immigrants and mushroom season in the spring was a bigger event than deer season in the fall.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do your research. They look like honey mushrooms but you need a spore print. They look like honeys and could be ringed or ringless. I see the gills run down the stem which is good but IDing from pictures is always difficult. Google "How To Identify Honey Mushrooms And Their Poisonous Lookalikes"

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could fall in to this category:
Cyclocybe aegerita, also called Agrocybe cylindracea, Agrocybe aegerita or Pholiota aegerita, is a mushroom in the genus Cyclocybe which is commonly known as the poplar mushroom, chestnut mushroom, or velvet pioppini.

Best thing to do is to meat up with a local forger/herbalist that knows the IDs of mushrooms.

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
I'm a big fan of mushroom foraging, and I would not eat those, even if I could identify them. There are a handful of wild mushrooms that are delicious and easily recognizable, such as morels, hen of the woods, oyster mushrooms, chanterelles, lobster mushrooms, and a few others. The rest of them are simply not worth harvesting because of the risk involved. If it doesn't even taste all that good, why take a chance?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread