Are these Marbles?

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
At first, When I found these broken pieces of clear near circular glass looking pieces back in 2004, I assumed they were off a switch board or pertaining to some type of late 1900 century gizmo for a Train switch panel? You know fixed with a light behind telling which tracks have been switched or something of that mater, So I never pursued them any further.

Now, After yesterdays eye ball finds from the same area (Cross Creek train station & a later community) replacing the train depot maybe these are clear marbles as yesterdays find is completely round.

The (The Owls Drug Co.) bottle is no earlier than 1892 since this is when the Owls Co started so this community at Cross Creek surely may have been there the entire 1890's maybe even early 20th century, I'm not a Marble expert but yesterdays find sure appears to be a large clear marble?

Appreciate any info here, Thanks and good hunting.
Paul (Ca)

Attachments

• 00000000001.JPG
    00000000001.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,483

El

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2007
Don't know about the possible marbles, neat bottle and how deep was the quarter ::). Thanks for the story.

El

OP
OP
Old California

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hi El,

El, The quarter is for sizing purposes :) I'm starting to think these are larger older clear marbles, I mean what else can they be?

Plus, I've met Battery once a few years ago or maybe 6-7 years ago? I'll be good to see him again, How time flies :)

Thanks amigo!
Paul

Boxtopp

Jul 11, 2004
Lake county Ca
Detector(s) used
Se mxt tiger shark
Hi Paul,

Thanks for calling me today. Your large looking marble is for making fiber glass. When I was four years old my dad use to bring them home. He would find them next to the train tracks. Is their any factories around were you found them?

Looking forward toward a serious hunt bud, keep me in mind..

Eric

OP
OP
Old California

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Thanks gang,

Hey BoxTopp! Good talking to you yesterday, And glad to hear you and your family are well.

Thanks for sharing what your father said about these clear marble objects are, I guess they must have fell off the train up and down the entire railway including the ones I found at the old train depot. And yes we do have factories near here but most likely since this is the Southern Pacific rail way the fiber glass companies can be anywhere through-out California. I think San Jose has a couple of fiber glass companies and even Corcoran which is near my area has a fiber glass company as well.

Plus, Sure thing let's keep in touch and go detecting soon :)

Thanks so much for shaing this, There goes the marble mystery :)

Thanks again gang!
Paul (Ca)

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm...The marbles my brother and I used to find in Calif. were not transparent but rather a biege looking, solid color.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here (Northern Calif.) those clear balls are also found along the railroad tracks. A long time ago I was told they were hauled by the traincar load to the cement plants and used in the kilns to break up the gypsum and other materials used to make cement. I won't swear to it but sounded good. No other reason to have so many lying on the ground along the tracks to the cement plants. Don't have time to research it right now.

ianSF

Apr 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Hi Paul-

A little googling came up with these two possibilities:

----------
Have you ever been walking along a railroad right-of-way and found some glass balls? Through a combination of some newsgroup reading and firsthand experience of one of our members who's gone on to work for BNSF, we can tell you this: These balls are the raw materials used in the making of fiberglass. They are sometimes carried in open gondolas, so they tend to bounce out. When the freight car reaches the plant, the balls are unloaded then melted.

John Klemin offers the following opinion: "It is my understanding the RR's used the glass balls as casters under heavy freight that needed to be moved in the late 1800s. They would put 2 rows of 2, 1 "inch laths close together, fill the gaps with the marbles and push the freight up unto the marbles and then where ever they wanted them to go."

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I say they are industrial marbles used as rollers to assist in moving heavy items that are loaded inside boxcars. Look up vintage industrial marbles.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when we were kids, (early 1950's) we used to take a coke bottle, lay it on it's side. Then we would take our B-B gun, place the muzzle right up against the bottom and shoot it. If you did it just right you would get a perfect, "half-marble" that would fragment off. Ahhh...the good old days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread