Are these more civil war finds? And what the heck is this?

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So these are all from my abandoned town site still. Where there was a village from 1800-1940.

#1 is from the woman?s house site. Where I found the stamped brass picture button. I think it?s only a piece of whatever it was. But looks like it has some holes for a pin. So it might of had a hinge function.
#2 and #3 are from the house site where I found the civil war era eagle breastplate and infantry officers coat cuff buttons.
I?ve seen things on here that look like #2. Those being sword scabbard ends with the very tip missing. But I think they are usually brass right? Any ideas?
#3 has a date of 1863 and an anchor on one side. And the word MONITOR on the other. With a hole through it?
#4 I have no idea. I though it was a shell casing, but has a piece of wood in it. Both the wood and the hole for it have threads on them. So the piece of wood screws into and out of it.

2B7C824F-3F22-4BEA-B3F1-94636D6F06D7.jpeg

D7AB0115-7F37-4890-8BE0-1223D8D70A66.jpeg 61852F9E-A850-4846-868F-9A940D7EC814.jpeg

8573E8C7-0C1F-4C2F-9182-4B9AED9FF38F.jpeg

Thank you

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
our little monitor civil war token
attachment.php

Attachments

• Fuld237_423DSC04905o_lg.jpg
    Fuld237_423DSC04905o_lg.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 258
Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture #1 is part of a chape from an 18th century shoe buckle. The chape is part of the inner workings of the buckle.

images

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So these are all from my abandoned town site still. Where there was a village from 1800-1940.

#1 is from the woman?s house site. Where I found the stamped brass picture button. I think it?s only a piece of whatever it was. But looks like it has some holes for a pin. So it might of had a hinge function.
#2 and #3 are from the house site where I found the civil war era eagle breastplate and infantry officers coat cuff buttons.
I?ve seen things on here that look like #2. Those being sword scabbard ends with the very tip missing. But I think they are usually brass right? Any ideas?
#3 has a date of 1863 and an anchor on one side. And the word MONITOR on the other. With a hole through it?
#4 I have no idea. I though it was a shell casing, but has a piece of wood in it. Both the wood and the hole for it have threads on them. So the piece of wood screws into and out of it.

View attachment 1941059

View attachment 1941060 View attachment 1941061

View attachment 1941062

Thank you

My guess for number One is a Hammer to a Piano...?? You might be right tho....
Two and Three are great relics, a Knife Scabbard Tip and a stopper to a Powder Flask,
are my guesses...!

Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1941059

View attachment 1941060 View attachment 1941061

View attachment 1941062

Thank you

Two and Three are great relics, a Knife Scabbard Tip and a stopper to a Powder Flask,
are my guesses...!

Upvote 0

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Finds, I agree, 2 scabbard for knife, 3 civil war token

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
are my guesses...!

Agree that the last item is a tip from a powder horn.

attachment.php

Attachments

• powder horn.JPG
    powder horn.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 198
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's an easy way to tell if Object #1 is a shoebuckle chape, or not. Do the more-or-less-rectangular "feet" on it have a tunnel through them? If the object is a shoebuckle chape, the tunnel would need to be there, for the buckle's cylindrical center-pin to pass through.

Attachments

• shoebuckle_Colonial-era_reproduction_TN_postedbySteveInPa_20210805.jpg
    shoebuckle_Colonial-era_reproduction_TN_postedbySteveInPa_20210805.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
our little monitor civil war token
attachment.php
I did some research on civil war tokens those are really cool. It?s my first one, are they pretty common? Do people dig them a lot? Why the hole in it? Thanks

Picture #1 is part of a chape from an 18th century shoe buckle. The chape is part of the inner workings of the buckle.
images

I can totally see the resemblance. 18th century as in the 1700?s? I don?t think anybody was at the site then. But these people were very poor. So I can see someone reusing it. Maybe past down through the family. Thanks

are my guesses...!

Hmmm a knife scabbard tip. Any idea on age. Thanks

Agree that the last item is a tip from a powder horn.

attachment.php

Huh a powder horn tip. I didn?t see that coming at all. I was thinking maybe the piece of wood coming out use to be much longer. And it was some kind of rifle cleaning thing. Probably no way to date it right? thanks

There's an easy way to tell if Object #1 is a shoebuckle chape, or not. Do the more-or-less-rectangular "feet" on it have a tunnel through them? If the object is a shoebuckle chape, the tunnel would need to be there, for the buckle's cylindrical center-pin to pass through.

Yes I believe it has holes for a pin.
DF3A8E81-4C0B-4120-B3B7-1C85BB7B1B2E.jpeg

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some research on civil war tokens those are really cool. It?s my first one, are they pretty common? Do people dig them a lot? Why the hole in it? Thanks
I don't think they are a common find ,I 've never dug one or seen one in 30+ years of detecting , the hole was added so it could be put on a chain.

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can totally see the resemblance. 18th century as in the 1700?s? I don?t think anybody was at the site then. But these people were very poor. So I can see someone reusing it. Maybe past down through the family. Thanks
Looks like you're on a nice site of earlier relics

That's what makes this hobby/passion so great-as we just don't know what turns up.
How poor? Dirt poor? Frugal/practical and if something functional it gets to be reused.
Homesteaders had items that they had when they started-many of these items got used till it broke and couldn't be fixed-or lost. 50 yrs probably wasn't even a second thought for the use of something that was made well.
I've dug coinage that predates a place by 100 yrs-
Just because we walk on a piece of dirt today doesn't mean we were the first, nor does it mean that throughout the history of that dirt that many walked over it.
There was in 1790 ? The first United States census was conducted, with the nation's residential population enumerated to be 3,929,214
And most of those boots/shoes were tramping up and down the east coast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread