Are Victorio Peak & Four Corners Gold Possably Related Stories?

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Re: Are Victorio Peak & Four Corners Gold Possably Related Stories?

Peerless67 said:
Springfield said:
IMHO, 17 Tons, Hembrillo Basin, Organ Mountains, Caballo Mountains, Cookes Peak, Santo Nino de Atocha Mountain and possibly others, all of which 'came to life' in the 1930's, are related. I agree with Peerless: Monster, we'd like to hear what you have to say.

Springfield, do you know of an account of the 17 tons that predates 1952 ?

:coffee2:

Actually, I don't; but 17 Tons is one legend I haven't put much effort into either, I guess because the most-accepted story never made sense to me. The hook for me is the timing, the 1930's. Also, it's the only one of the '1930's NM gold cave' stories (one version puts the gold in a 4 Corners cave) that does not occur in southern NM, where I live and have easier access to.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Spring,

I will say one thing; Doc did supposedly burn a lot of documents and letters to destroy the possible descendants of some of the owners from claiming ownership. The one document that he did not burn, that showed the locations of the other caches (and their owner) was lost many years after his death. It may still be floating around somewhere right now in someone's private collection.

Best-Mike

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

gollum said:
Spring,

I will say one thing; Doc did supposedly burn a lot of documents and letters to destroy the possible descendants of some of the owners from claiming ownership. The one document that he did not burn, that showed the locations of the other caches (and their owner) was lost many years after his death. It may still be floating around somewhere right now in someone's private collection.

Best-Mike

Quite a collectable, for sure. It's hard to imagine something like this ever being lost. It's interesting to speculate on the history and capabilities of those who might own several caches, only one of which was at Victorio Peak.

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense

[/quote]

Actually, I don't; but 17 Tons is one legend I haven't put much effort into either, I guess because the most-accepted story never made sense to me. The hook for me is the timing, the 1930's. Also, it's the only one of the '1930's NM gold cave' stories (one version puts the gold in a 4 Corners cave) that does not occur in southern NM, where I live and have easier access to.
[/quote]

Well you have been stomping around out there for sometime, so do you think it is reasonable to say that the 17 tons story was born with the 1952 hearings ?

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

Peerless67 said:
......Well you have been stomping around out there for sometime, so do you think it is reasonable to say that the 17 tons story was born with the 1952 hearings ?

I would say that unless there is evidence to the contrary, the 1952 disclosures may be the first mention of this legend in the public domain. Of course, whether or not this is true has no bearing on the credibleness of the events that allegedly occured in the 1930's in the 4 Corners region. If those events did occur, they could have been kept under the radar in the interim. Like I've said, this story is not at the top of my priority list and my research is lacking.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Many great stories. Best of luck in finding treasure out west.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What did the Army do with the treasures that they took out of the cave?

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

PuffDaddy said:
....Doc Noss hauled a pickup load of gold bars,back to Oklahoma,and buried them,in a very special place.
Some day,I hope to abscond with them.

David

'Some day'? What are you waiting for?

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Many of us readers enjoy reading about this treasure. Thanks for the updates.

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense
Peerless,

Martian Monster has been closely involved with the Victorio Peak Story since 1954. There aren't many people alive that know more about the subject than him.

Monkeyman,

As previously stated, the Four Corners Story is faaar away from Victorio Peak (even though they're in the same state). As to the veracity of the Four Corners Story, several of the people that sat on the Grand Jury Trial regarding the FCT moved to the area of Shiprock, NM after the hearing was over to search for the treasure. That says a lot.

Mike

Been out of action for some time Mike, over a year since I posed the question and no answer ? Theoretically you could call that ridiculous ?

I know what you are saying, but with the exception of the one thin thread of Emil Holdahl, the two stories have completely different casts of characters.

Mike

One thin thread ? Holmdahl and Noss ? What would improve the "cast of characters" ? How about Douthit ? I could quote you to enhance the cast. Noss was good friends with Douthit, Noss new where Douthits treasure was.

Where was it Douthit moved to again after Noss's death ?

jackrook

Nov 1, 2010
Glendale, Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been out of action for some time Mike, over a year since I posed the question and no answer ? Theoretically you could call that ridiculous ?

One thin thread ? Holmdahl and Noss ? What would improve the "cast of characters" ? How about Douthit ? I could quote you to enhance the cast. Noss was good friends with Douthit, Noss new where Douthits treasure was.

Where was it Douthit moved to again after Noss's death ?

he moved to the San Diego area and assumed the identity of his dead cousin i believe.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do any of you know what the government did with all the treasures that the Army took out of Victorio Peak?

treasminder2

Banned
Oct 9, 2011
Not to argue this for ever , but the Army was too stupid to take
the treasure any where

It was passed to Menza to figure out .

What they came up with was : A Squad of Hot air Balloons

Airships with drones towing them

These set down at The Royal Palace of the Saudi King .

He and Sadamn split the cost .

They funded Terrorist with the proceeds

and the Bush/Cheney Team got the Poppy Fields for their end of the bargain .

treasminder2

Banned
Oct 9, 2011
the man wasa cheat , but He made good with the Saudis

btw : He and Elvis were just spotted at a roadsie diner in Indiana last night

they were trying out the new Goat Cheese grilled sammy's

Sadamn look mighty good without his Mustache and elvis has dropped a few pounds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread