Are you (we) only as good as our last find?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Joe my belief is that we (obsessed MDer's) should judged by our entire portfolio of finds. Not all research produces great finds. Many sites have been hit/pounded over the past 5 decades. Our perseverance and time invested does pay off in the long run. I consider this endeavor as a marathon and not a sprint. The value of your finds are subjective as to where your peers hunt. For example pulling a silver Merc from a semi-modern park in Ohio may be seen as a trivial find by those who live on the east coast and concentrate on areas where colonial treasures are abundant, or those in the south who primarily hunt for CW relics, but it is a great find for the area you hunted in. It's all in perspective. I am a coin shooter that likes to find the occasional relic. Just getting out and swinging the coil is treasure in it's own right. The more you swing, the more you find. I do all kinds of detecting. Every type of hunting has it's own rewards.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm... only worth as much as my last find ?

What if your last find was aluminum and would not even register on a scale ?

***ARC sniffles***... :>/

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe my belief is that we (obsessed MDer's) should judged by our entire portfolio of finds. Not all research produces great finds. Many sites have been hit/pounded over the past 5 decades. Our perseverance and time invested does pay off in the long run. I consider this endeavor as a marathon and not a sprint. The value of your finds are subjective as to where your peers hunt. For example pulling a silver Merc from a semi-modern park in Ohio may be seen as a trivial find by those who live on the east coast and concentrate on areas where colonial treasures are abundant, or those in the south who primarily hunt for CW relics, but it is a great find for the area you hunted in. It's all in perspective. I am a coin shooter that likes to find the occasional relic. Just getting out and swinging the coil is treasure in it's own right. The more you swing, the more you find. I do all kinds of detecting. Every type of hunting has it's own rewards.
Well said LD. I'm the same way. I'm not worried about winning the race, I just want to finish. I'm a relic hunter but love to find coins. Even clad. Its the thrill of the hunt, the not knowing and the fellowship we share with fellow diggers that does it for me. I enjoy the hunt more if I'm not keeping score so to speak. Life is competitive enough. If you don't keep score, you don't loose.

HH RN

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My last find registered a perfect 12-42 on my Etrac at 8 inches and turned out to be a Pepsi can at about 18 inches. That area had to be filled dirt and I didn't realize it. Deepest hole I've dug with my Etrac. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread