arm fatigue

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I just purchased a new AT Max, and I like it so far except that I am 73 years old, recovering from shoulder surgery, and experiencing severe arm fatigue after only 10 or 15 minutes of use, even with my good arm, Does anyone know the weight of the 5x8 coil compared to the weight of the 8.5x11 stock coil? If there is a significant difference, I think I am going to purchase the smaller one. I own several other brands of detectors and arm fatigue has never been this much of a problem with them.
Also, a technical question--Garrett advertises American made products and in fact the box my detector came in reads "proudly made in the U.S.A." yet also on the detector, pinpointer, and headphone box as well as a sticker on the detector is the Chinese Export (CE) label. So which is it? Hopefully I didn't get some sort of Chinese knock-off did I? It was ordered from a huge well respected company. Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I just purchased a new AT Max, and I like it so far except that I am 73 years old, recovering from shoulder surgery, and experiencing severe arm fatigue after only 10 or 15 minutes of use, even with my good arm, Does anyone know the weight of the 5x8 coil compared to the weight of the 8.5x11 stock coil? If there is a significant difference, I think I am going to purchase the smaller one. I own several other brands of detectors and arm fatigue has never been this much of a problem with them.
Also, a technical question--Garrett advertises American made products and in fact the box my detector came in reads "proudly made in the U.S.A." yet also on the detector, pinpointer, and headphone box as well as a sticker on the detector is the Chinese Export (CE) label. So which is it? Hopefully I didn't get some sort of Chinese knock-off did I? It was ordered from a huge well respected company. Thanks for your help!

P.S.--After doing some further research, I found that the CE mark can also refer to a European Conformance rating....a safeguard of sorts. The two sets of symbols are virtually identical, however, making it extremely dfficult to tell them apart.

Alexis123

Greenie
Apr 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you need an MD with a removable control box. You can attach it to you waist. This way, the device will become lighter and hopefully you can MD comfortably.

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
you need an MD with a removable control box. You can attach it to you waist. This way, the device will become lighter and hopefully you can MD comfortably.

That sounds like a very good idea--Thanks!

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The XP ORX is about as light as it gets. I have an XP Deus and it is a joy to swing. I've heard many people selling their heavy detectors and getting an XP. You can even remove the control box and put it on a wrist/arm strap and save a few more ounces if needed. I have a AT GOLD and I know what you mean, my arm feels it.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
The XP ORX is about as light as it gets. I have an XP Deus and it is a joy to swing. I've heard many people selling their heavy detectors and getting an XP. You can even remove the control box and put it on a wrist/arm strap and save a few more ounces if needed. I have a AT GOLD and I know what you mean, my arm feels it.

I know what you mean. I don't have much left myself. Both knees scoped within the last 18 months, left shoulder rotator cuff recently repaired, right shoulder is totally shot but I'm putting off the surgery, and after an hour of detecting my hip pointers(?) are screaming and both arms feel like they are falling off. I kneel down to dig a target and it's even money on whether I'll be able to get back up. I lost my mind years ago, so the good news is that not too many more parts can break. Still beats the alternative.
HH
dts

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you could use some joint supplement. I've used Insta-Flex capsules and it worked but I am somewhat sensitive to the ingredients. But I see now they sell Insta-Flex cream. Probably worth a try. Also look on youtube for the various joint exercises to help with mobility and pain. I like motivationaldoc but there are many different channels.

https://www.instaflexcream.com/sale...b2kXbbdjTSDI0RNMhFqFMB87rbUDhs4hoC1C0QAvD_BwE

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have the 5x8 as well as the stock and the 13". The 5x8 eight is a great little coil. I'm 70 and can swing it all day as long as the targets are there. I think you would like it without adding any new electronics.:icon_thumright: most of our sponsors have that Garrett coil.

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Thank you for the information and I'm sorry your arm gives you trouble too, but I bet we'll both be swingin' as long as we can!

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I know what you mean. I don't have much left myself. Both knees scoped within the last 18 months, left shoulder rotator cuff recently repaired, right shoulder is totally shot but I'm putting off the surgery, and after an hour of detecting my hip pointers(?) are screaming and both arms feel like they are falling off. I kneel down to dig a target and it's even money on whether I'll be able to get back up. I lost my mind years ago, so the good news is that not too many more parts can break. Still beats the alternative.
HH
dts
Agreed--keep hanfin in there!

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Sounds like you could use some joint supplement. I've used Insta-Flex capsules and it worked but I am somewhat sensitive to the ingredients. But I see now they sell Insta-Flex cream. Probably worth a try. Also look on youtube for the various joint exercises to help with mobility and pain. I like motivationaldoc but there are many different channels.

https://www.instaflexcream.com/sale...b2kXbbdjTSDI0RNMhFqFMB87rbUDhs4hoC1C0QAvD_BwE

Thank you--I will check it out.

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I have the 5x8 as well as the stock and the 13". The 5x8 eight is a great little coil. I'm 70 and can swing it all day as long as the targets are there. I think you would like it without adding any new electronics.:icon_thumright: most of our sponsors have that Garrett coil.
Thank you--I'm going to put an order in for one today.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem after major neck surgery. After about ten minutes my shoulder would be aching like someone hit it with a baseball bat. I made a shoulder harness that completely solved the problem. They have them on eBay and Amazon. I made mine from a binocular soft case. And a zip-tie. You don’t even have to carry it. It’s like a one point sling for an AR. 32EBC741-0AEE-40AC-9C85-56D6DF4C7BAD.jpeg F8837439-5734-4B94-A27A-18499E48307D.jpeg Another plus is I don’t have to keep picking up and sitting down the detector when looking at something it just hangs in front of me and disconnects it with the flip of the clip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I had the same problem after major neck surgery. After about ten minutes my shoulder would be aching like someone hit it with a baseball bat. I made a shoulder harness that completely solved the problem. They have them on eBay and Amazon. I made mine from a binocular soft case. And a zip-tie. You don’t even have to carry it. It’s like a one point sling for an AR. View attachment 1826769 View attachment 1826768 Another plus is I don’t have to keep picking up and sitting down the detector when looking at something it just hangs in front of me and disconnects it with the flip of the clip.
I thought I had responded to your post, but I don't see it. Maybe I forgot to hit "post reply" If i doubled up on replying, my apologies.
That is a fantastic idea! I made a sling for my weedeater, but the metal detector idea never occurred to me---you can bet I will be working on one before the night is over now though, thanks to you!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread