Army Security Agency

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Digger. Yep. 68-72 FT Devens, Chitose Japan, Pyeong Taek, Korea. 33C. R391 eh? Was a wiz at one time repairing the R390s. ..... Jefferson Hills... Was from Munhall now in CT and FL.

OP
OP
G. I. Digger

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mudflap, wow what a small world! Yeah was and still am a ditty bopper! Where did you work while in Munhall?

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raised in Munhall. Worked for a while at USS. Even worked a OH-4 in Homestead! Then 18 years at Westinghouse in E.Pgh, Then Amtrak in New haven Ct 4 years then 26 more at the local electric utility in CT. O5C eh?..... Of course before I left the area I cleaned out all the treasure in WPA..... grin..... I wish.

OP
OP
G. I. Digger

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you benefited off of your mos, smart man! I was an 058, 05h20, and there was not that much of a need for a high speed morse code intercepter! So YOU are the reason that none of us Western Pa detectorists can find anything? I thought it was me or the detector. Hope all is well and stay safe It is very hard to find another ASA'er!

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi G.I. Digger, I was not ASA but USAFSS 1968-1972. Started as an X1 and schooled at I.G.Farben in FRANKFURT as a 202 Flight Analyst.
6931st Security Group Iraklion Air Station Crete,Greece.
Best wishes .....Joe McDonough

OP
OP
G. I. Digger

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe looks like another super interesting occupational skill! Crete, wow what an assignment as it looks like there were troops in the most interesting locations! The USAFSS, what an elite group!

Last edited:
OP
OP
G. I. Digger

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe,
The more I read about you guys looks like we were both doing pretty close to the same thing! First you had to score very high on your entrance exams to be considered which was the same with the ASA. Then getting cleared for a top secret cryptographic clearance then schooling and out into the jungle! I read where you folks also had morse code interceptors as well. I am sure you have many many story's to tell!!

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Digger, no jungle for me, we got the VCI better where we were than if you were on one side of the tree and they were on the other side. all about atmospherics.

I.G.Farben was headquarters for N.S. A, and the course was S.C.109. I was fortunate to make SSGT. in 3years,3months. That was minimum time to reach that rank and was drawing
Professional pay(10% more than others in my field). NSA contacted me in 1974 to go to England as a civilian and i turned it down.....Joe McDonough

OP
OP
G. I. Digger

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds fantastic! I was also in the right place at the right time as I made SSGT in just under three years while I was in Asmara Ethiopia. I was there for a year and a half and finished my enlistment at Vint Hill Farms in Virginia in 68. At that time NASA was hiring a lot of us ASA'er's mainly because of our crypto clearances and I was hired and worked at Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt Maryland. I worked on the last of the Apollo missions and then there were mass layoff's due to the cutback's in the space program.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I was ASA, Language School 47 weeks I could talk to those gals :)

OP
OP
G. I. Digger

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome fellow ASA'er! I was supposed to go to Nam but at the last minute I was reassigned to Ethiopia! How in the world did that happen?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread