Arrowhead Age Help. Found in the woods along the Middle Fork river in Meadowview Virginia. I know its old but would it be paleo old?

Barefeets

Jun 21, 2022
Meadowview
20220622_005823.jpg

Attachments

• 20220622_005941.jpg
    20220622_005941.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220622_010002.jpg
    20220622_010002.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220622_010038.jpg
    20220622_010038.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 4

CoinsAndThings

Dec 4, 2020
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe a worn Brewerton side notch? Wild material for sure. Some type of fossil.
I'm thinking fossil or bone. The material reminds me of whale bone. While in Mexico many years ago, I picked up a piece of whale bone on a beach. It looks almost the same.

OP
OP
Barefeets

Barefeets

Jun 21, 2022
Meadowview
Oolitic chert?
I believe it is definitely oolitic or fossiliferrous chert, which I had not heard of before. Thanks for the knowledge! I'm studying up on it to try to get a close age. While fishing yesterday about 100 feet from this find, I also found this stone/gem. I'm very stumped on it if any rockhounds have an opinion it will be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20220626_040407.jpg
    20220626_040407.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 35

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a book I go by and I've always thought the timeline styles of arrowheads are pretty universal across the whole United States. Back east there were once the same game such as Buffalo and Elk as there was and still today here on the Great Plains. I have found pretty much ever time-line style of point from paleo to late prehistoric in my area.

Attachments

• 20220626_112044.jpg
    20220626_112044.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 29

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
The material looks like harrodsburg chert to me.

harrodsburg chert outcrops in southern Indiana and northern Kentucky. which is not that far of a distance for material to be found.

I find Flintridge, Jeffersonville, Liston Creek, Harrison County, Burlington in Indiana often.

So finding a southern Indian flint 300 miles from the source is not unheard of.

According to "Prehistoric Chert Types of the Midwest" (which is an excellent material reference), harrodsburg chert was rarely used during Paleo Indian times. Usage during the Early Archaic is moer common with the occasional Kirk Tradition and Bifurcute Tradition being made of this type.
Other fossiliferous chert of the Midwest are very similar including Bishar, Brassfield, some Muldraugh and other oolithic chert.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does that book cover Nebraska/Kansas/Oklahoma area? I’ve bought “Midwest” books before that barley cover beyond St. Louis. I’d love to Find a good material reference book

OP
OP
Barefeets

Barefeets

Jun 21, 2022
Meadowview
I have a book I go by and I've always thought the timeline styles of arrowheads are pretty universal across the whole United States. Back east there were once the same game such as Buffalo and Elk as there was and still today here on the Great Plains. I have found pretty much ever time-line style of point from paleo to late prehistoric in my area.
I agree. I've never gotten to hunt artifacts out west but I've read a lot about it. If all the artifacts were put together that have been found in the tobacco o fields here in the appalachains of Virginia it would surprise me if there were any other place that had a much greater density of artifacts. As a kid I remember new neighbors tilling up a garden and filling up a shoebox full of arrowheads. I'm about 15 minutes from Saltville where they have found whole wooly mammoths also. Any luck out west finding arrowheads or artifacts with gold or silver in them?
To answer your question, it's likely a much reduced Archaic notched point.

I'm staying tuned to learn what the blue pebble is (beside pretty :)
Thanks. I've been picking up arrowheads since I learned to walk (Dad took advantage of my youth to keep him from having to bend over lol) and I still learn with almost every find.

OP
OP
Barefeets

Barefeets

Jun 21, 2022
Meadowview
Maybe a worn Brewerton side notch? Wild material for sure. Some type of fossil.
@Tnmountains does a style by itself mostly determine the age or are there some types of material that were only used in certain time periods? I know most flint around here is more recent stuff but it can be found alongside really rare material also with the same style.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Tnmountains does a style by itself mostly determine the age or are there some types of material that were only used in certain time periods? I know most flint around here is more recent stuff but it can be found alongside really rare material also with the same style.
Style by itself helps determine the age. But material and artifacts traveled. I have a beautiful Daton and for the life of me can not figure out the material. I have many points and buckets full of Del Rio Chert a whole valley full yet it is not supposed to be even close to me.Try these sites.

search better pics of Helderberg chert
Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread