Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to sketch out my finds, I was thinking today about looking at some better drawings to see how they do it… there was a member here probably a few years back that had some drawings done of their finds, I don’t remember who or when but I was curious to see them again. Anyone remember what I’m talking about? Maybe help me with the information, pics, or a name to google? … so far google image search just wants to show me clip art and tattoos…
61ECCB40-7DEB-42B9-94DF-3C719D3EFF7B.jpeg
not much help when looking for the details that make a good drawing

Doesn’t seem like a good post without something to look at

Upvote 11
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t mind doing it, I was just wanting to get better I’ve figured out a few different things like running those little lines parallel to the way the flake was driven which a lot of times meaning turning 90 on the bases… I used to think it was just a light source deal… also not trying to do it with a cheap ball point pen helps, but I was hoping to see how they do the notches or places where they have step and hinge fractures or stacks… things like that are tricky

Reulte

Jun 26, 2013
Currently Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, it's tricky.

I'm not sure but I believe there are archaeology specifics (like you mention lines parallel to the bulb of the flake). Maybe the arch. department can suggest a textbook or monograph or journal article to give you best practices.

ETA: Or try looking at some pictures of arrowheads in scholastic journals.
Here's one - scroll down towards the bottom which has some good pictures

Last edited:

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to sketch out my finds, I was thinking today about looking at some better drawings to see how they do it… there was a member here probably a few years back that had some drawings done of their finds, I don’t remember who or when but I was curious to see them again. Anyone remember what I’m talking about? Maybe help me with the information, pics, or a name to google? … so far google image search just wants to show me clip art and tattoos… View attachment 2037772 not much help when looking for the details that make a good drawing

Very nice!

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgive the id’s I’m not convinced beyond the first Hardin that I’ve got the others right, but I think sketching my grandpa’s collection is coming along nicely. They are in pairs, the first is as is, the second is a best guess what the original point looked like.
C3586E07-1255-4C10-990A-71D5A211C88D.jpeg

82968913-2614-4D8D-BE59-008D1BC16736.jpeg

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the sake of wrapping up my previous post, it was a bit more tricky doing the non arrowheads, some came out a little wonky compared to the real deal but it was good practice
6FA73EAD-130D-4DFC-B287-887AE336B024.jpeg

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to sketch out my finds, I was thinking today about looking at some better drawings to see how they do it… there was a member here probably a few years back that had some drawings done of their finds, I don’t remember who or when but I was curious to see them again. Anyone remember what I’m talking about? Maybe help me with the information, pics, or a name to google? … so far google image search just wants to show me clip art and tattoos… View attachment 2037772 not much help when looking for the details that make a good drawing

OTB, you did an excellent job drawing that artifact!
I used to do just that for the USFS.., during the long wintery days in the office….

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions