Arrowhead?

Ace 350

Apr 8, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know anything about this point? Found in East TN.
B7CFBD52-C3E8-449D-B89D-7A164892ACC5.jpeg
AD26D2E3-0007-4EA8-8338-FA82EDEC48D9.jpeg

Upvote 8

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
A little crude and clunky. Maybe an expedient point made from debitage. We sometimes find them like that.

OP
OP
A

Ace 350

Apr 8, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little crude and clunky. Maybe an expedient point made from debitage. We sometimes find them like that.
What exactly does the expedited point made from debitage?

OP
OP
A

Ace 350

Apr 8, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure he means it looks made from leftover material as it's not super refined and smooth. Debitage is the flaking left over from the production of lithic tools.
Appreciate the feedback bud. Thanks.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think it's a Buggs Island Stemmed (5500-3500 YBP). Overstreet's 9th Edition has several examples that yours is a dead ringer and all found in Tennessee. Google "Images" does too. It is a dart point I believe. That stem is just too well made for it to be a quick-and-dirty. It's had a rough life.

OP
OP
A

Ace 350

Apr 8, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a Buggs Island Stemmed (5500-3500 YBP). Overstreet's 9th Edition has several examples that yours is a dead ringer and all found in Tennessee. Google "Images" does too. It is a dart point I believe. That stem is just too well made for it to be a quick-and-dirty. It's had a rough life.
I appreciate it bud. Does this point have any value to it? I’m going to give it to the property owner who’s let me metal detect and has been so kind over the past years. I’d like to give him all the information that I can find on it when I’m able to give it to him. I also need a new truck so if it was worth 10,000 I may have to wait and find him another one. lol. Either way I know it’s worth more to him than it would me.

OP
OP
A

Ace 350

Apr 8, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not worth much at all with the damage, age, rarity, popularity, and many other factors. Most "field grade" pieces won't even fetch $10. He would probably appreciate you giving it to him. That would be the valuable part.
I figured so. Thanks bud. I appreciate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread