arthurburg hill ancent indian earth works muir michigan

michiganman24

May 16, 2007
michigan usa
Detector(s) used
i use my eyes
these are pics of a burial site near muir michigan,the origin of the people who built this is unknown,when settlers asked the indians tribes of the area who had built this, they said they didnt know
artherburghill2.jpg
from the top
artherburghill.jpg
pic of my brother on the side of the earthworks gives ya an idea of how big it is
justinonartherburghill.jpg
a nice view of the hill from the prairy
picofskytytook.jpg

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
nice photos...I especially like the one with the bright sun coming through the clouds....very pretty!

OP
OP
M

michiganman24

May 16, 2007
michigan usa
Detector(s) used
i use my eyes
i havent really looked up there its private prop and i just snuck up there for some shots..i guess they found copper and skulls with holes it the top of the head,they think they might of been doing brain surgery...ty

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great pic's & story, we have ancient Indian mound's
in my part of E. OK, they found a copper box in one mound,
that came from your part of the country, (trade).

Fossis...................

Jun 17, 2009
Very little is known about Arthurburg hill, actually Arthursburg hill. It is indeed an earthwork, very similar in construction to Fort Ancient in Ohio. This is one of the northern most earthworks of its kind on this continent. Its actual purpose has not been determined. Mostly thought of as a fortification. Adena burials have been excavated there, and there are on going studies perfomed by various colleges and arcaeological societys. The hill is owned by at least 3 different families, and like most private property, trepassing is frowned upon, let alone treaure hunting. I am a resident of Muir and have researched this topic far and wide. I am in contact with the Michigan Arch. Society, and have been informed that future studies are planned for the hill. Imagine what could be lost. "The purpose of this website is for the friendly exchange of informatin about metal detecting and tresure hunting". If youv'e ever been to Fort Ancient, you'll see that it's very much a protected place. Scince first seeing this post some time ago, I have found a shovel on the hill, no doubt left by a grave robber. I am an avid collector and treaure hunter myself, but to disturb this one of a kind treasure, in my book, is true sin. There are several farmers who own the fields of the rich flood plain called the prarie. European people have been arrow head hunting the prarie for over 150 years and have yeiled a great varity of artifacts. I suggest looking to these land owners for permission to search the tilled fields where stratification has been disturbed. Arthurbug hill has never been tilled! It is likely over 10,000 years old! Please do not disturb the soil of this American treasure. Pentalties re-guarding disruption of this site would likely be similar to that of violating an Indian mound. With all due respect, thank you for reading this. I look forward to a response. Thank you, Friend of the Arthurburg.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool place. Hey f.o.t.a., if you're new to this site, the majority of folks here have a great respect for history and an interest in preserving it. And you will notice there are many posts about 'getting permission' and I don't think one about 'how to sneak in'. Arrowhead hunters and metal detectorists can be a great resource for archaeologists. In Oklahoma, the Oklahoma Archaeology Survey was very receptive to us, and therefore received a lot of info about sites they would never have known about. I got into metal detecting more for the history research. (since I figured out real quick I wouldn't get rich) Just a thought, but could this earthwork have been a wind break? I'm not familiar with the site or the orientation, but it's an idea.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have some Temple mounds here from the mound building era. Do you think its the same period.

VickiK

May 26, 2022
i havent really looked up there its private prop and i just snuck up there for some shots..i guess they found copper and skulls with holes it the top of the head,they think they might of been doing brain surgery...ty
My brother's property and you shouldn't be sneaking around up there! He's lived there for years...Never heard anything about copper skulls...a lot of arrowheads, but the stone was not from around there... Not a burial ground either, but a lookout place for other tribes coming to the area. MSU & archaeologists were there to study the place.

VickiK

May 26, 2022
Cool place. Hey f.o.t.a., if you're new to this site, the majority of folks here have a great respect for history and an interest in preserving it. And you will notice there are many posts about 'getting permission' and I don't think one about 'how to sneak in'. Arrowhead hunters and metal detectorists can be a great resource for archaeologists. In Oklahoma, the Oklahoma Archaeology Survey was very receptive to us, and therefore received a lot of info about sites they would never have known about. I got into metal detecting more for the history research. (since I figured out real quick I wouldn't get rich) Just a thought, but could this earthwork have been a wind break? I'm not familiar with the site or the orientation, but it's an idea.
My brother's property and no one should be sneaking around up there! He's lived there for years...Never heard anything about copper skulls...a lot of arrowheads, but the stone was not from around there... Not a burial ground either, but a lookout place for other tribes coming to the area. MSU & archaeologists were there to study the place.

VickiK

May 26, 2022
Very little is known about Arthurburg hill, actually Arthursburg hill. It is indeed an earthwork, very similar in construction to Fort Ancient in Ohio. This is one of the northern most earthworks of its kind on this continent. Its actual purpose has not been determined. Mostly thought of as a fortification. Adena burials have been excavated there, and there are on going studies perfomed by various colleges and arcaeological societys. The hill is owned by at least 3 different families, and like most private property, trepassing is frowned upon, let alone treaure hunting. I am a resident of Muir and have researched this topic far and wide. I am in contact with the Michigan Arch. Society, and have been informed that future studies are planned for the hill. Imagine what could be lost. "The purpose of this website is for the friendly exchange of informatin about metal detecting and tresure hunting". If youv'e ever been to Fort Ancient, you'll see that it's very much a protected place. Scince first seeing this post some time ago, I have found a shovel on the hill, no doubt left by a grave robber. I am an avid collector and treaure hunter myself, but to disturb this one of a kind treasure, in my book, is true sin. There are several farmers who own the fields of the rich flood plain called the prarie. European people have been arrow head hunting the prarie for over 150 years and have yeiled a great varity of artifacts. I suggest looking to these land owners for permission to search the tilled fields where stratification has been disturbed. Arthurbug hill has never been tilled! It is likely over 10,000 years old! Please do not disturb the soil of this American treasure. Pentalties re-guarding disruption of this site would likely be similar to that of violating an Indian mound. With all due respect, thank you for reading this. I look forward to a response. Thank you, Friend of the Arthurburg.
My brother's property and no one should be sneaking around up there! He's lived there for years...Never heard anything about copper skulls...a lot of arrowheads, but the stone was not from around there... Not a burial ground either, but a lookout place for other tribes coming to the area. MSU & archaeologists were there to study the place.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in the Kalamazoo area for 40 years and never knew about this place. Thanks for SHARING :)

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but I am only now seeing it...Still, it was wrong for the guy to go on the property...all I'm saying
yes trespassing is wrong , that goes without saying especially 3 times in a row. the member who did this terrible act has not logged in since 2007

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions