Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got out today in hopes of finding a button. I found this cool Artillery button at my favorite fort site. It’s in pretty decent condition with the exception of a little corrosion on one edge.
Along with that I scored 5 musket balls. One of which was quartered. I have found quartered ones before and I am unsure why they are that way.
Thanks for taking a peek and happy hunting to all!
3ECE8128-18C8-4C3A-93D9-4C5E54FBEBC1.png

Upvote 19

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure do like the eagle on those 2nd Seminole War buttons over the third.....I have found pistol balls cut in half for some reason but not musketballs Why do you think they did it ?

OP
OP
Florida Finder

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I sure do like the eagle on those 2nd Seminole War buttons over the third.....I have found pistol balls cut in half for some reason but not musketballs Why do you think they did it ?
Village
I have no idea on that. I’ve thought about it many times and can’t come up with anything at all. I’ve found some of those halved pieces as well. If you ever find out please let me know.
Thanks

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out today in hopes of finding a button. I found this cool Artillery button at my favorite fort site. It’s in pretty decent condition with the exception of a little corrosion on one edge.
Along with that I scored 5 musket balls. One of which was quartered. I have found quartered ones before and I am unsure why they are that way.
Thanks for taking a peek and happy hunting to all! View attachment 1986179
Wow that button is so so nice Congratulations on that beautiful recovery

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find and it looks to be in such great shape! It’s nice that you had an intention to find a button and then you did! Congratulations!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have no idea on that. I’ve thought about it many times and can’t come up with anything at all. I’ve found some of those halved pieces as well. If you ever find out please let me know.

Good button.

I have no idea if this is the reason but I do know that from Colonial times through to the pioneer era, musket balls served as alternative currency when small change was unavailable. Maybe they were split to create small fractional pennies/cents. In theory, they were accepted because they were a useable commodity, but also accepted in a 'token value' sense by those who had no need for them.

Somewhere, I have a copy of a Royal proclamation setting their value against the penny which also says that no-one shall be compelled to accept more than a specified number of them in any transaction. I'll see if I can find it... but don't hold your breath.

[As an aside, when travelling in the Greek Islands in the 1970s I discovered that shopkeepers on some of the more remote islands where small coins were in short supply might give you a packet of pins, a stick of chewing gum, or a box of matches in lieu of change for similar reasons]

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good button.

I have no idea if this is the reason but I do know that from Colonial times through to the pioneer era, musket balls served as alternative currency when small change was unavailable. Maybe they were split to create small fractional pennies/cents. In theory, they were accepted because they were a useable commodity, but also accepted in a 'token value' sense by those who had no need for them.

Somewhere, I have a copy of a Royal proclamation setting their value against the penny which also says that no-one shall be compelled to accept more than a specified number of them in any transaction. I'll see if I can find it... but don't hold your breath.

[As an aside, when travelling in the Greek Islands in the 1970s I discovered that shopkeepers on some of the more remote islands where small coins were in short supply might give you a packet of pins, a stick of chewing gum, or a box of matches in lieu of change for similar reasons]

Can't find the document copy in my library that I was referring to, but a quick Google search turned up this quote from the Massachusetts General Assembly in 1634:

"It is likewise ordered that muskett bulletts of a full boare shall pass currantly for a farthing apiece, provided that noe man be compelled to take above XIId [ie no more than 48 balls, equivalent to 12 pence] at a tyme in them."

The practice continued long after that.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that button! I think musket balls may have been split or quartered to spread the shot - four projectiles rather than one at close quarters. Similar to why cannon may have fired grape or chain shot. If in a paper cartridge, they would slide down the barrel wrapped as a unit, would not change any loading pattern, but upon firing close and en masse inflict greater damage. A theory.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very cool find and great save

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't find the document copy in my library that I was referring to, but a quick Google search turned up this quote from the Massachusetts General Assembly in 1634:

"It is likewise ordered that muskett bulletts of a full boare shall pass currantly for a farthing apiece, provided that noe man be compelled to take above XIId [ie no more than 48 balls, equivalent to 12 pence] at a tyme in them."

The practice continued long after that.
Interesting, never heard of this but it makes sense as a commodity of use in that period, to most pioneers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread