JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this piece on a Civil War site where there was a lot of artillery action. I have never seen a fuse like this, however after recently seeing a US Sawyer time fuse I thought that I should check it out. I have found a hundred or more fragments and several fuse pieces from this farm field, but it is a farm field......certainly could be a sprinkler or something. Thanks for your help.-JB

Attachments

• thumbnail (11).jpg
    thumbnail (11).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 86
  • thumbnail (12).jpg
    thumbnail (12).jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 43
  • thumbnail (13).jpg
    thumbnail (13).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 45

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
JBnNC wrote:
> I found this piece on a Civil War site where there was a lot of artillery action.
> I have never seen a fuse like this, however after recently seeing a US Sawyer
> time fuse I thought that I should check it out.

As my posting-name indicates, civil war artillery projectiles and their fuzes are my specialty-area of relic study. Unfortunately, I have to tell you (with 100%-certainty) that your find is definitely not a civil war artillery shell fuze, nor a part of one.

That being said, you were WISE to post your very good closeup photos of your find here in the What-Is-It? forum, for verification or disqualification as a civil war relic. Never feel any shame or embarrassment about doing that. Instead, you have my applause. It is UNwise to discard something like this (especially when it's not made of iron) without checking with this forum's experts first.

Upvote 11
OP
OP
JBnNC

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
JBnNC wrote:
> I found this piece on a Civil War site where there was a lot of artillery action.
> I have never seen a fuse like this, however after recently seeing a US Sawyer
> time fuse I thought that I should check it out.

As my posting-name indicates, civil war artillery projectiles and their fuzes are my specialty-area of relic study. Unfortunately, I have to tell you (with 100%-certainty) that your find is definitely not a civil war artillery shell fuze, nor a part of one.

That being said, you were WISE to post your very good closeup photos of your find here in the What-Is-It? forum, for verification or disqualification as a civil war relic. Never feel any shame or embarrassment about doing that. Instead, you have my applause. It is UNwise to discard something like this (especially when it's not made of iron) without checking with this forum's experts first.
Thanks, I never mind asking.....because I have tossed a couple of finds in the past that I now wish I could take a closer look at.

Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread