Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Temperature was 17 degrees last night, so frost is coming soon, but with the day temperature in the uppers 40s, I went back out again today. Not much to report but a very worn and corroded 1871 Indian Head (i think but fairly certain). I had to use my micro scope to see the date.

Its been an odd season for hunting my spot. I been hunting it for about 20 plus years. I know this place has been popular for people gathering since about 1830 or so. And it just keeps amazing me with finds, and even when I swear I hunted it out, I get on tear. Two seated dimes in the same hole the other day for example.

This place continues to amaze me. I had never found a seated dime ever, until this year. I got 5 this year alone. It also seems to be a spot where everyone that ever carried an Indian Head penny dropped one. I have found hundreds of them here. Including many older dates, and some key dates to boot. This year alone I found an 1863, 1864 copper nickel, 1864 bronze, 1866, the (i think) 1871, 1872, 1876 and quite a bit 1880 to 1901.

It also turns outs a weird amount of 2 cent pieces, although this year I only got one.

I am going to keep going out as long as the weather permits.

Hope all you people in the frost zone best of luck.

Anthony

Upvote 11

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a great site - keep pounding it till you leave with nothing - then go back again !

Good Luck !

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have a great spot, but are getting ready for a long Winters nap ! Continue to go back as long as you can before the ground freezes. I will work a field up to 5 or 6 times without finding anything, before I finally right it off. Good luck in your future visits to that place.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the kind of site we all dream about. Sounds like you have had an excellent season. Congrats!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Temperature was 17 degrees last night, so frost is coming soon, but with the day temperature in the uppers 40s, I went back out again today. Not much to report but a very worn and corroded 1871 Indian Head (i think but fairly certain). I had to use my micro scope to see the date.

Its been an odd season for hunting my spot. I been hunting it for about 20 plus years. I know this place has been popular for people gathering since about 1830 or so. And it just keeps amazing me with finds, and even when I swear I hunted it out, I get on tear. Two seated dimes in the same hole the other day for example.

This place continues to amaze me. I had never found a seated dime ever, until this year. I got 5 this year alone. It also seems to be a spot where everyone that ever carried an Indian Head penny dropped one. I have found hundreds of them here. Including many older dates, and some key dates to boot. This year alone I found an 1863, 1864 copper nickel, 1864 bronze, 1866, the (i think) 1871, 1872, 1876 and quite a bit 1880 to 1901.

It also turns outs a weird amount of 2 cent pieces, although this year I only got one.

I am going to keep going out as long as the weather permits.

Hope all you people in the frost zone best of luck.

Anthony
Keep that Coil to the Soil!!!! Happy Hunting!!! We like Pics:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread