at max acting all crazy

Red Reaper

Greenie
Apr 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my Max back yesterday. Turned it on right out of the box and it was going berserk like when it left,even when I walked 40 yards from any building. I called Garrett and asked what they did to it. He dug into the notes and said they couldn't find anything wrong. He said it sounded like interference, and I agreed. I walked 100 yards away from my house and it started acting normal again. He asked if I had a electric fencer, which I do. I then walked 100 yards to the fencer and I could never get it to act up, even 2 foot away. If this is indeed some type of interference from a electrical field around houses/buildings, it has basically deemed Max detectors useless around houses/yards.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT GOLD acted up when I was near a malfunctioning street light.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been somewhat unhappy with my AT Max since getting it this past December. I have been loyal supporter of Garrett equipment for some time but the Max has soured that feeling. At times I will have to say I have warmed up to the Max with a custom program for the unit. Then for no reason it will start going crazy numbers all over the place, do a factor reset and it's OK again. I have tried different coils that does not seem to be the problem. My feelings about the AT Max is it's a jazzed up AT Gold with wireless head phones, back lightened screen and a slightly larger screen I also have the AT Pro have not had the problems with the Pro that I have had with the Max. I considered myself somewhat lucky that I have not had some of the problems with the Max that I have read about and know firsthand from others that are having problems. Just hope Garrett comes up with a fix. Just wish Garrett had really done a true upgrade to the AT line that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive used my AT pro stock coil on the max and that worked fine for awhile til it also went hay wire. I think it has something to do with the stock coil and the wiring in the control box. It seems like one overloads the other. My 5x8 has had zero issues when connected to the max and I use that pretty exclusively. Its not fun using in a field but I do cellars and home permissions with it. Emi hasnt been too bad using the max. I can pretty much right under most powerlines but electric fences are a no go.

I wish the stock coil issue could get solved right away. Those of you who switched coils after the first one went berserk, dont forget to do a factory reset after switching coils. That's standard procedure everytime you do.

Red Reaper

Greenie
Apr 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys, try this, this is what I did this morning. I went 200 foot away from my house and shop and it stopped going berserk, which is quite a ways if you wanted to do any yards or lots in town or historic sites near buildings. It did make sense that it sounded like interference issue. So what I did was go back to my shop and start flipping breakers off until my Max went back to normal. Flipped the breaker for my Florescent lights that take the skinny bulbs with green ends, and my max completely went to normal. My electric fencer did not bother my max at all. I was shocked this interference was going that far away from any building. The other site where my Max went crazy must be something similar going on. Try flipping breakers and see if this makes a difference on you guys Max's.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If thats the case maybe some critical RF Shielding was possibly left off of a component during construction of the control units..

Last edited:

Red Reaper

Greenie
Apr 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am really hoping some of these boys try shutting off breakers and see if this made their Max normal again. On my first post I mentioned I went to a neighbor to get a reading on some cannon balls. I now remember him going into his shed to get a shovel about the same time my Max went crazy. Looking back, I am betting he turned on his florescent lights. I was a good 150 foot from that shed, so I didn't think anything of it at the time.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Max also, I bought it as a backup to my Whites V3i. My Whites started overloading on me this last weekend (I think it has an issue with hot weather), so I got the Max out. Right off the bat I started getting a lot of chatter, and could hardly hear a good target. I put a quarter on the ground, and I could hear it, but had to strain to hear it. The display number seemed to be on the money. I turned the sensitivity down, and it helped some, but I was still getting a lot of noise out of numbers I should not have heard anything from. I took it out at several places, same issue at every one. Hate to hear that this issue is happening, but glad to hear I am not the only one. Have not contacted Garrett yet. I also have the AT Pro, and have not had this issue with it.

Gumba143

Mar 30, 2018
WI MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max / Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like a lot of work just to use a metal detector! Flipping Breakers and such, I'm having all the chatter constant beeping issues with my Max, did everything, changed coils, reset, change frequencies, my solution is especially after reading these posts I'm tossing the max in the garbage yes $700 metal detector in the trash and going back to my cheap Fisher F4 which is more reliable! I will never buy another Garrett again

Last edited:

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, rather than send it back for a new Max, you are throwing it in the garbage?

cobill

Jul 24, 2007
Laporte, CO
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 6000 and 5000, EQ-800, AQ Limited, GBII, AT PRO, Keene 3" 2 1/2" ,2" and Dahlke 4" dredge.
I found this article from 2009 that may help everyone to understand EMI: Electiical Interference

Since it's printing, there have been numerous new EMI sources introduced in our environment, like LED bulbs and 4G cell phone transmission towers. Google: Metal Detectors & Emi - Electro Magnetic Interference for more details.

Bill

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Max also, I bought it as a backup to my Whites V3i. My Whites started overloading on me this last weekend (I think it has an issue with hot weather), so I got the Max out. Right off the bat I started getting a lot of chatter, and could hardly hear a good target. I put a quarter on the ground, and I could hear it, but had to strain to hear it. The display number seemed to be on the money. I turned the sensitivity down, and it helped some, but I was still getting a lot of noise out of numbers I should not have heard anything from. I took it out at several places, same issue at every one. Hate to hear that this issue is happening, but glad to hear I am not the only one. Have not contacted Garrett yet. I also have the AT Pro, and have not had this issue with it.
Try not using the wireless phones helped mr

Idblkcld

Feb 9, 2019
West Central Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an AT Max in May of 2019 for use in Salt Water and found the same thing as others on here.
I called Garrett and they sent me a new coil.
After installing that, I tried it again, and it still does it.

I called my dealer and he said that I should call Garrett and report the issue and have it checked out.

If it checks out, which hopefully it does, then I have no problem.

If it doesn't, I jumping brands anyway to a Nox 800.

I have an AT Pro and really, really like it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT and the nox are not good salt water machines.

Dmansoz

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2018
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone come up with a solution yet? Went out two weeks ago with my New AT Max...and had the same issue? I went to several locations just to make sure. It kept jumping around (30-80) nothing stayed consistent. I called customer service and they told me to try the factory reset after tightening all connections and making sure the wire was wounded tight. I did that and no change. Called them back and they told me it was probably the coil. I just received it today, I put it on, factory reset... and it’s still bouncing all over. �� I guess I'm sending it in.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep us informed on this issue.

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m not an expert by any means, but I’ve had the Max for a little over 2 months. When I first got it, it was going crazy in my yard. It settled down somewhat at a different location. I called Garrett & they sent me a knee coil. I took it to Myrtle with the original coil since I wouldn’t receive the replacement in time. I tightened all the connections & it was pretty good on the beach. After getting home, I swapped out the coils & did the factory reset....Still noisy in my yard. I’ve been using it at another location....a lot trash, pull tabs, bottle caps old steel & iron water lines, etc. in the high tragic areas, it’s noisy. Jumps all over the place. Move a few steps & it’s fine. I honestly think it’s just a very sensitive machine! I’ve dug a ton of coins in the trashy areas....it hits them strong even when it seems jumpy. For example....had multiple tones & random, jumpy vdi numbers but it would still hit a fairly solid high tone. So I dug a about a 5” wide hole 6” deep & found 2 old pull tabs, 3 half inch pieces of an old nail, and a 1968 dime in the hole. Other holes with random numbers & tones I’ve found coins with “rusted dirt” where old steel water lines were at one time. This area is ground balancing at 84-87 typically. I t seems the Max is just picking up every small amount of metal. Also, I checked my ace 350 in my yard....it went all crazy too.....I’m assuming power lines, underground dog fence, WiFi, etc. Like I said I’m no expert but I hope this helps someone.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had the max for about two weeks when it was first released. Hated the Tones, cracking audio. Felt like i was swinging an AT Pro that was up drinking a gallon of 5 hour energy. Was not a fan and sold it right away. Was mad about giving away my Pro to get it.. live and learn.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread