AT Max Custom Setup

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your post got me to thinking, I have also used Pro Zero on my AT Pro and on my AT Max with disc. at zero. So, I thought I would do some air testing in custom mode set up. This is my custom mode set up----disc set at 44, Sensitivity set midpoint, notch out 40, 45, 50 & 65, threshold 1. So, with these settings I was still able to get nice low tone on a silver ring, a gold ring, and a nickel. Mid tone on penny, high tone on clad dime, silver dime, clad quarter, and sliver quarter. I was pleased with the air test, especially getting a clear low tone on the rings and the nickel. I'm going this weekend to my daughter’s home in Mobile AL I plan to get a bit of detecting in I will report how my custom settings work I plan on doing some park hunting and possibly a little beach hunting. This custom setting is with the stock coil. For me the real test is in ground coins and relics the air test is a good refrence point.

Last edited:

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still getting the feel of the machine and experimenting different settings. For the most part on a new site I use custom mode with nothing disc out and iron audio on. Iron disc between 36-38. I like to know when I'm coming in and out of the iron beds and where the biggest concentration of iron is. I keep sensitivity set two notches down from max most times. I use the stock coil most all the time. If its a real thick iron bed, like right on top an old house site I'll go back over it with my a 5"by 8" coil on the same settings to pick out smaller items from the bed. I'm also a "dig everything guy" and tend to stay away from modern trash areas. In real high iron, like layers and layers of square nails. I've backed the sensitivity down three, four or even five notches and picked out small buttons right on top of the iron bed. I like to go over the same areas over and over again from different angles, at different settings, with different coils and on different days. After all that, sometimes on high iron beds, I like to cherry pick, notching out all but silver even and have still picked out non-ferrous metals off the same beds when all else fails. I've got limited experience so far with zero mode other than using it with very little metal in the ground and listening and watching the numbers at the same time. Overall I've noticed that if my Max says there is something non-ferrous in the mix there is!

Last edited:

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ran my custom set-up from above today on my Max, I'm very pleased with the results. Found $2.60 in clad coins and a couple relics, I hunted in a somewhat trashly park and had no chatter just clear siginals. I will be trying other settings with custom mode the one above gets a thumbs up from me. I did not feel I lost any depth by runing sensitivity at mid point, had a couple dimes at about 8".

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your post got me to thinking, I have also used Pro Zero on my AT Pro and on my AT Max with disc. at zero. So, I thought I would do some air testing in custom mode set up. This is my custom mode set up----disc set at 44, Sensitivity set midpoint, notch out 40, 45, 50 & 65, threshold 1. So, with these settings I was still able to get nice low tone on a silver ring, a gold ring, and a nickel. Mid tone on penny, high tone on clad dime, silver dime, clad quarter, and sliver quarter. I was pleased with the air test, especially getting a clear low tone on the rings and the nickel. I'm going this weekend to my daughter’s home in Mobile AL I plan to get a bit of detecting in I will report how my custom settings work I plan on doing some park hunting and possibly a little beach hunting. This custom setting is with the stock coil. For me the real test is in ground coins and relics the air test is a good refrence point.

Hal, that’s awesome. Thanks. I will certainly give the set up a try. I’m very new at this so this might sound like a sound like a stupid question but why notice out those specific one? Why not 55 & 60 but why 50 and 65?

Thanks for the post.

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve never used my custom setup but maybe I should. I hunt a 1850’s public park now it’s been hunted out over the years but with my AT Max I’m hitting 3 ringers at 8” to a foot on Pro Mode 0 or 35, Coin and rarely All Metal unless I need a 2nd opinion on deep lead. I got a 1897 O Barber dime on Coin today a 5” ( never happens) My point is in looking for deep silver because all the high tones in this park are gone. I get a lot of V nickels and Buffalos. I got over 25 V nickels last year. Max is a mid tone killer. What custom can I use to get deeper silver in a public park? Thank you for your time.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like all your settings above. Here is a trick you may try as it's worked on my pro and gold. I have only been out once with the Max due to recent surgery. I go to the trashy spot and see where most of the junk targets are hitting. I then run iron disc up 2 to 4 numbers above that number. Then I will lower my ground balance 10 points. I'll use the smaller coil and swing slow. If you are investigating a Target turn iron audio on to check. If you can get a good signal one way dig it. Most of the time you can narrow down a good target in the junk this way. With the gold it will sound a little scratchy with the high tone in the trash but I have picked countless Indian heads out this way along with large and half cents. I've dug a couple 2 centers as well with the gold doing this. Don't use all metal in the trash. I'll run sense about half in trash with thresh at 1 or 2 and like I said drop ground balance about 10 points from where it settles at. This seems to help hit the silver. I've been going to the same two fields for 5 years now and I have always picked good stuff out since these fields get worked every year. The crops get rotated from corn to soy beans and I've noticed that after the beans are taken off I will always find coins or good relics. Corn is hit and miss but every bean field I hit that was a home site produces. I don't know why because the corn has deeper roots. If anyone hunts a rotating field with beans let me know if this is same for you. At least in my case I find alot more good targets in a bean stubble field than any other type. Good luck.

Last edited:

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hal, that’s awesome. Thanks. I will certainly give the set up a try. I’m very new at this so this might sound like a sound like a stupid question but why notice out those specific one? Why not 55 & 60 but why 50 and 65?
Thanks for the post.

Great question, the reason was when doing my air test the gold ring, silver ring, and nickel gave me good tones at these notch outs. I may change the lower numbers as I go alone, one of the things I wanted not to do was notch out gold, silver and nickels. I did find nickels yesterday with my settings from the air test. Air test are a good refrence point and should be used as a refrence point only. Also on of the things I did yeserday was bring down the disc. to 35, good to see others post their settings I plan on trying other's settings in actual field test. I hope we keep this thred going there is already great information being posted.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Correction to above post should have stated white gold ring not a silver ring.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The other thing I want to work on next is the Threshold setting, I'm not sure that I like the constant buzz. I'm currently running it with zero threshold at the present time.

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You certainly have a leg up on me being in AL, I'm currently in Ohio stuck in the snow so even doing air testing is difficult. Next decent day, probably 2-3 weeks from now I'm going to test out your custom setup and see what it is like. I already have it programed in, now just need a break in the weather!

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You certainly have a leg up on me being in AL, I'm currently in Ohio stuck in the snow so even doing air testing is difficult. Next decent day, probably 2-3 weeks from now I'm going to test out your custom setup and see what it is like. I already have it programed in, now just need a break in the weather!

The one thing I found Saturday was that I had little to no chatter with my custom settings. When I first got the Max I ran in Pro Zero with no notch out and no disc the same way I ran my AT Pro. In the Pro Mode I was getting constant chatter on the Max, I even tried all metal but just do not like that all tones low are high or in the mid range or that what it seemed to me. I do not have the best of hearing so that could have been a problem also, It had really made me wish I had not purchased the Max. I think I have got a good start with my custom setting's will tweak as I go alone. I have ordered the Nel Sharpshooter 9.5 x 5.5 coil will be interesting to see how that works if I ever get the thing from KellyCo having a few issues with KellCo. Happy Hunting to All

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the pro zero no discrimination and max sensitivity discrim seems to make chatter and false hight tones , I like to hear the tones I can tell a coin from a bottle cap easily to a solid target. The all metal mode is deep but you will have the same sound no matter if its a coin or Iron target so don't use this mode in a trashy area, and you need to rely on your VDI. The threshold same thing it has to be above zero to work it will be a constant hum and what it does is give you a signal when there is something deep but the signal would not be enough for your machine to react to normally .. Great machine I like to gb depending on the mineralization once balanced I will manually set the GB down 5 Good luck keep sharing your experiences and tips Tommy

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to run Pro Zero and discrimination sent on 32. Knocks out iron and leave a good solid tone still. 35 if heavy iron. Sensitivity 2 from top to start out.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain I live in NW Ohio and the weather isn't looking good by any means. I don't like detecting when it this cold or when snow is on the ground. I have a job coming up soon that will have me back down in NC gone 10 days and home for 4. I plan to take a detector with me this time.

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel your pain I live in NW Ohio and the weather isn't looking good by any means. I don't like detecting when it this cold or when snow is on the ground. I have a job coming up soon that will have me back down in NC gone 10 days and home for 4. I plan to take a detector with me this time.

What part of NW Ohio? I'm in Lorain County.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wyandot county

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone else use the Storm coil on their Max. I have to sell my Thunder it does pair up right I’m thinking the Storm does. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth I've heard it's a deep coil but heavy. Never bought that on for any of my machines. I will tell you the NEL tornado was a great coil for the AT Gold. I found a seated dime in with old nails. Couldn't believe I heard the dime but it picked it out. The nails were within a few inches of the dime.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth I've heard it's a deep coil but heavy. Never bought that on for any of my machines. I will tell you the NEL tornado was a great coil for the AT Gold. I found a seated dime in with old nails. Couldn't believe I heard the dime but it picked it out. The nails were within a few inches of the dime.

Great coil but doesn’t mesh well with the Max. I bought the Thunder because on the Storms weight and better separation. I was told the Storm works well with the Max I’m not sure so I’m asking opinions. Now there’s a whole Nel big coil especially for the max. I just don’t want to buy one of those if the Storm works at the Max’s KHz.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread