AT PRO, a deep hole, and nothing makes since to me.

iWeld

Aug 26, 2017
Warrensburg Mo
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maby someone can help me understand what the machine was telling me.
Went out on an all day hunt on an old 1870's farm. Founds lots of old iron there in the past and was the same for today. So while on the top of an old pond dam I get a solid 80. Pinpoint it and start digging. So i get to about 18" down befor i get a hit with the my little pinpointer and start chasing the beeps. Finally i run into some iron but its in the back side and off center of the original hole about 10". I did not recover the iron, to tired at that point and There was no other targets found with the propointer so....
Do think the atPro was targeting the Iron i found in the back side way outside the coil or is there another target much deeper?
It had me dumbfounded so I took some photes thinking maybe someone could educate me on somthing I'm not getting.

4679f14874902288322b2feb2f1b81d2.jpg
b7c22ff5676a9ca689db9ea3021c0091.jpg
250b4f77ebb67745aea1863ecda59544.jpg
146b8250a5dbd1af51bc4895b614cd6c.jpg
40a36078dd278d668b6f11b213d7394e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some iron will read high. Very old iron can have other metals, like silver in it. They didn't refine too well a long time ago. In situations like these I normally find the target is in the side of the hole. When I dig the hole out another 6" I normally find it.

OP
OP
iWeld

iWeld

Aug 26, 2017
Warrensburg Mo
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, i concidered it but I figured the propointer would detect a target in the side if it was there. Thats how i tunneled in to the iron. Maby I'll hit it again tomarow after i recoup a bit.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some times large flat iron will give a reading of other than iron , happy huntin

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Agree with Smokey. Not only the iron, but a flattened aluminum can will also ring a solid 80 (AT PRO). What I do is listen to the signal first. If it's pretty loud, you know it's pobably less then 6",(depending on moisture in the ground). If it's a softer 80 but still solid, 6 to 12 inches probably, or could be a coin on it's side at 3". ORRRR it could be a piece of large iron that is 4" to the side of the hole. 18" is a stretch for the AT. My guess is you passed the original target, and chasing something that was under it. Been there, done that! Had a hole a couple of weeks ago. Solid 80. I'm digging and digging and finally came across this. Big iron at 24" and no target's above it. DSCF1468.JPG
Don't forget to check the grass around the dirt. Sometime's those coins will roll out of the dirt. Good Luck!!

OP
OP
iWeld

iWeld

Aug 26, 2017
Warrensburg Mo
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good points, appriciate the help! Digging a hole like that and coming out empty handed had me second guessing what I knew I thought I knew.
Inquireing minds and all that...I'll be back there to find out what it was soon.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Metal detectors are tuned and calibrated to coin sized objects. Drastically change the size and the VDI numbers change also. You can guesstimate a targets size by swinging the coil laterally over the target and see how much distance it takes before the signal disappears, or keep raising the coil while swinging it and see how high it goes before the audio stops.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you raise the coil a foot in above the hole and get a target? With that being an old farm, it's probably junk buried deep. I spent a couple hours on a target that was about 3 feet deep and it turned out to be a piece of aluminum siding. But I knew it was big when I started. I was hopeful by for an old sign or something

OP
OP
iWeld

iWeld

Aug 26, 2017
Warrensburg Mo
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The target pinpointed as a normal, no indication it was a large or elongated like a buried pipe. And i didn't get the signal at the edges of the hole. I don't think i raised the coil to check like Diggin mentioned. I'll remember that for next time. [emoji106]

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely what the detector picked up was the large iron target and you may have been getting the 80 VID from falseing off of the edge of the coil. That would explain the missed pinpointing. If you pinpoint using the pinpoint button it should have been on target. If you pinpoint doing the wiggle or the North- South, East - West technique you may have picked up the signal just off the edge of the coil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread