AT Pro shaft problems that I could have prevented

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was preparing my 3 year old AT Pro for a trip, and wanted to break it down for a suitcase. The upper shaft would not uncouple from the middle section. Even a rag and vice grips would not budge it. So I called Garrett. The Service guy ask me if I took the shaft apart after every beach and water hunt and I said no. All I ever did was just hose it down. Wrong! It seems that I should have been taking the shaft apart and cleaning it after every water/beach use. The fine sand had accumulated in the coupling joint and aggregated to form a sort of concretion effect. His words, not mine.

Solution: He is sending me a new upper shaft and coupling at no charge. He said just get the old coupling off anyway I could. I think I will just use a Dremel tool to cut it off.

Again I had heard about Garrett's great customer service and I am finding out it is a well deserved excellent reputation.

zombie

Aug 30, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Bounty Hunter DISCOVERY 1100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know it's an old post but that's great to hear and something I will make sure to do after I go to the beach in a few weeks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread