bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bbcamay,

I used the 250 about 5 years ago and found lots of stuff with it....set the sensitivity between 4 and 6 because if you set it to high it has a tendency of falsing(giving a signal of a non existent target).....you may also wish to use some of those plastic tie clips to secure the coil wire snugly against the shaft.....just the wiggling of the wire can also cause falsing.

It probably takes about 100 hours or so to get proficient with the machine.....a bit like riding a bike if you will.

I'd use jewelry mode starting to cut down on some of the junk targets and give your ears a rest....headphones are a must also to pick up the fainter targets.

First and foremost it's a hobby, exercise, fresh air and the thrill of the chase.....the finds are just a bonus...from someone who's been there and done that.

Good luck and don't give up.

Regards + HH

Bill

I am fairly new but have gotten pretty good at just the basics. I was using an ACE 250 in an open field with no junk distractions. I got a faint hit, so I knew it would be deep. When I pinpointed it with the detector it said it would be 4-6 inches down. I went well below it and around it but got nothing. Finally I had to quit because the sun went down and I couldn't see a thing. I am bummed. It's been a sucky couple of days of hunting for me. Yesterday I hunted for a solid 8 hours and came up with 3 pennies and mounds of crap. I love reading everyone's posts and it sounds like you all do very well. At this point I would just be grateful for a wheatie!

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got this "cheap" pinpointer for free with my kellyco purchase. The things is so god awful, I can't believe KellyCo, a great company, associated with it. That said, I quickly bought my Garrett ProPointer and am extremely happy.

You call that Kellyco unit merely God Awful? I could lay a quarter on the ground at my feet and point at it from an inch away and get no signal. They should be ashamed, but it was "free".

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Texas / Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bbcamay said:
I am fairly new but have gotten pretty good at just the basics. I was using an ACE 250 in an open field with no junk distractions. I got a faint hit, so I knew it would be deep. When I pinpointed it with the detector it said it would be 4-6 inches down. I went well below it and around it but got nothing. Finally I had to quit because the sun went down and I couldn't see a thing. I am bummed. It's been a sucky couple of days of hunting for me. Yesterday I hunted for a solid 8 hours and came up with 3 pennies and mounds of crap. I love reading everyone's posts and it sounds like you all do very well. At this point I would just be grateful for a wheatie!

While it is important to know your machine, it is equally important to hunt where the "good stuff" is. This is accomplished by research and just simple observation. I spend very little time doing schools and parks unless I know for sure that the area is undisturbed since the 1950's. I spend more time locating a good place than I spend hunting it. You will find your wheat penny and silver and gold, but first learn your machine and while you are doing that research possible places where the goodies are hiding.
I started by getting the basics of the machine, then learning the "art" of digging a hole and refilling it without leaving a trace, then I asked family and friends if I could do their yards. It's a good way to start. Don't get discouraged we all had the same learning curve that you are experiencing. HH :)

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
bbcamay

bbcamay

Dec 29, 2012
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the tips and keep them coming! I do have a lot of learning yet to do. When i was digging last evening I had my machine on the coins only mode with the sensitivity around 3. I am fairly certain it wasn't a false signal but I just couldn't seem to get there before daylight ran out. I am going to head back over to that site today to check on the hole because I am sure it is a mess. I did the best I could in the dark but since its at my children's school (I have permission from the Principal) I want it to look nice. I went with the Harbor Freight pinpointed to start with until I can shell out the cash for the Garrett one.
I live in a small southern town and there are tons of available options of places to go but even after researching I am still unaware of certain laws. There is this old school here from the late 1800's that I have been wanting to hunt. It's not an historical monument and there are no private property signs but I have no clue if I am suppose to find the land owner and ask or if its free reign.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bbcamay,

To be on the safe side I'd suggest you track down the owner and make sure it's ok.....generally public parks, school yards and sports field should be ok also....

Plus if play it on the up and up....odds are pretty good that you'll get referral for other sites to hunt from their family, friends, etc...

Good luck.

Regards + HH

Bill

Thanks for all of the tips and keep them coming! I do have a lot of learning yet to do. When i was digging last evening I had my machine on the coins only mode with the sensitivity around 3. I am fairly certain it wasn't a false signal but I just couldn't seem to get there before daylight ran out. I am going to head back over to that site today to check on the hole because I am sure it is a mess. I did the best I could in the dark but since its at my children's school (I have permission from the Principal) I want it to look nice. I went with the Harbor Freight pinpointed to start with until I can shell out the cash for the Garrett one.
I live in a small southern town and there are tons of available options of places to go but even after researching I am still unaware of certain laws. There is this old school here from the late 1800's that I have been wanting to hunt. It's not an historical monument and there are no private property signs but I have no clue if I am suppose to find the land owner and ask or if its free reign.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't recon I'd go this far!:tongue3: GodBless Chris

Attachments

• bighole5qf0.jpg
    bighole5qf0.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 134

Nellerefinnej

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2013
America's Hometown
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I have had that happen too. I am also new to the hobby. I bought the Garrett pin pointer and that has totally reduced the moving target issue in my experience. I end up still having some that I cant locate on occasion but think it is sometimes the ground and the minerals causing the false type readings. I totally agree with the more hours the better you get at it. happy hunting!

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been going at this hole for 20 minutes and it's bringing up $.10-$.25 but I still got nothing!!

The "halo" effect can cause it, try parks and beaches and the back yard, test garden was a good idea too.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bbcamay,

Another word of advice/caution since you're a woman and a very attractive one at that(if I may be so bold)....I'd suggest you try to tag team it with a friend, neighbor, hubby or someone else.....better to be safe than sorry.

Regards + HH

Bill

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thinking of changing avatar to pic of beautiful woman to get lots of help....

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
As for me, I dig until I find the target or the reason there is a signal.

Example: I got a signal with an old S63TR i had many years ago on my farm. The target area was about 3' in dia. I finally resorted to using a post hole digger in the center of the target. I WENT DOWN 3'. As I moved the coil up and down in the hole, I noticed that at about half way down to the bottom, the signal faded. After thinking about this I dug down on the edge of the target signal ann hit the wheel rim about 8" down. Live and learn!

Example: I was walking along with my 2 Box detector and got a loud signal for about 12'. I backed up and came in at 90 degrees and picked up the signal from 6' out from a stone wall. The signal was a .50 cal. ammo box hidden in the wall. It was a geocache box.

Summary: Something is triggering your detector. Now it may be that you have your sensitive set a tad high and entered an area of higher mineralization. In that case the signal would be caused by the ground balance shifting.
: If you are digging and your signal decreases as you dig, it is on the side of the hole.
: My theory is I don't want to die like that cat. I have even gone so far as to bring out a back up detector to verify a target.

Some people can take the mystery of not knowing, but not me. I have done trouble shooting all my life, and only been skunked once. Frank, Have a good hunt.

skull etc 019-3-Resting Rose.jpg

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
bbcamay,

Another word of advice/caution since you're a woman and a very attractive one at that(if I may be so bold)....I'd suggest you try to tag team it with a friend, neighbor, hubby or someone else.....better to be safe than sorry.

Regards + HH

Bill

You may even prefer a side arm,deters a LOT of thugs!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bbcamay,

Regards + HH

Bill

Take a deep breath Bill, Its just a pic. ( heard of manti teo?) It could be a man...

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jeff,

LOL....been with the missus since 1980 and my hands are more than full with one....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepest hole I dug - 4 feet. Military trash pit some 20 years ago that gave up 8 or so US pre civil war military buttons.

Hole from yesterday - 2 feet - large brass boat oar holder in the very bottom of the hole. Drove me nuts.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jeff,

LOL....been with the missus since 1980 and my hands are more than full with one....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

No worries Bill. It's just obvious that it's easy to post a bogus pic. lol

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Texas / Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bbcamay said:

OK, here's a finer point about yard searches. Sometimes it's fun to get everybody together and use your metal detector in their yard. However, the pressure is really on in this situation because they usually have unrealistic expectations with silver and gold on their mind. Therefore, I try to help them in advance by setting realistic expectations. When I get there, if they are all hovering around, I run my machine identifying good targets but I don't dig them right away. After about 20 minutes expectations are more reasonable or everybody had already gone in. When digging in front of people go for only a couple of really good targets. If you dig holes and get only trash they will begin to second guess letting you hunt. I know this is controversial but I have hunted a number of houses built in 1700's and owned by people I didn't even know. One homeowner was a landscaper and he had no problem with my hunt! Have fun but be wise. HH :)

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread