NicksRelics

Feb 11, 2021
Southeast Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys and gals,

Been using my Equinox 800 for a month of 2 and found a load of good relics as well as 1800s coins, BUT, I'm swinging this thing everyday for HOURS and some days dont even hit a good target.

I realize there has to be stuff in the ground in order to find something. But the areas I'm searching are old ghost towns, burnt, demolished brick buildings and fields, etc, and while there isnt a ton of modern trash besides the inevitable pull tabs and sardine cans that ring up like a nickel (12-13), my detector still goes haywire on these sites.

I use Park 1, and I have it set according to a youtube video in which the user displays coin/relic settings from a book by Andy Sabisch. I know I should buy the book.

Most all iron is not heard, but when I'm scanning an area that you would call trashy, I get a CONSTANT beep boop BEEP bop beep, in one sweep I might get a solid 13 and then immediately a 19, or 21, and then when I sweep back over the 13 area its gone. Or I might get a high 30s and same thing happens. The Recovery rate is set high.

Basically, I'm wondering if I should try a smaller coil, to sort of seperate these sounds/items, and have a better chance of finding something that would otherwise be hidden be something trashy? Or is this normal and there just isnt anything there to give a good signal thats worth anything?

Allen Jackson

Apr 21, 2019
Bristol, TN
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 , Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Coiltec 5X10 and love it for everyday hunting such as schools, parks, home sites, etc...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smail coils allow you to hunt high trash areas allowing you to have less objects under the coil at the same time, hunt closer to metal fences and metal objects like playground equipment.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try adjusting your Iron Bias. Run it High for an hour, then run it low for an hour over the same area.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used a 6" EQ2 Coil on my E-Trac for 5 yrs. - non stop - till it burned out.
Thousands of good finds and Dimes down to 7".
Some of the reasons I'm a big fan of small coils ...

(1) Better separation in heavy iron areas.
(2) Much better in tight spots and overgrown areas.
(3) Easier to hunt in between the stubble - corn fields, etc.
(4) No need to use your detectors Pin Pointer.
(3) Makes your machine better balanced and easier to swing.

The down side - Less ground coverage and a less depth.

Good Hunting !

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you running for sensitivity? I run my Nox down around 16 in trashy areas, quiets it right down and still hits deep targets. If I try running at 20 on some sites it does just like you say, constant beep boop beep.

rogueaviation

Apr 23, 2015
Grand Haven, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the numbers you folks are giving. So many times, especially on the popular video platform, nobody actually gives the settings that they are using. I like to know.

Thanks again,
--Matt

uhfradarwill

Mar 20, 2022
Barre, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab:
Sovereign GT
Equinox

Tesoro:
Comparde
Fantastic info from everyone. I hunt iron laden sites with my NOX with the Minelab 6" coil.
If you find what you think is a good signal with the big coil in trash, you really got to play the different angles of sweep game to ensure your not getting fooled. The 6" coil greatly reduces this.

I also agree to reduce your sensitivity down to around 18 as it calms the detector down without losing too much depth.

I'll also note if you have an iffy but high tone signal running multi, drop down to 4Khz single freq. If multi and 4Khz agree, dig it!!

In MA in iron/trash ground, it sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger shooting a full mag of ammo out of a M60 on every sweep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread