DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,
Need some info on ground balancing. I was hunting over the weekend in mountainous terrain and my ATP was constantly chattering to the point of irritation. I'm in Southern California and understand the need to ground balance on beaches due to salinity levels, but didn't think I would have an issue with dirt in the ridges and valleys etc.
After leaving, I did some research on the soil in the area by asking questions and was informed that the major composition is DG.
Would this cause the ATP to chatter constantly?
Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to ground balance EVERY time you use the machine, and keep in mind soil conditions can change every 30-feet in some areas - especially in iron rich soils..

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's the most important thing you can do with any metal detector every time you turn it on and every time you change soil types/conditions. I'm surprised it worked at all in high mineralized soil without. You will be blown away at the difference in your finds when you properly ground balance a machine. Do an auto GB and manually back it down 5-10 for added depth on the ATPro.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to ground balance EVERY time you use the machine, and keep in mind soil conditions can change every 30-feet in some areas - especially in iron rich soils..

Yea, I noticed that at parks even..I GB about every 20 minutes..probally overkill

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the most important thing you can do with any metal detector every time you turn it on and every time you change soil types/conditions. I'm surprised it worked at all in high mineralized soil without. You will be blown away at the difference in your finds when you properly ground balance a machine. Do an auto GB and manually back it down 5-10 for added depth on the ATPro.

Thank you for the info. Wow! This is really good to know.

WVCOINHUNTER

Jan 19, 2012
Vienna, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, XP MI6, Garrett Pro Pointer, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ground Balance often, and make sure you don't have anything discriminated out before you ground balance!

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground Balance often, and make sure you don't have anything discriminated out before you ground balance!

Great Tip! I've been ground balancing on pro Coin mode. Back to the drawing board lol!

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, when you GB, make sure there are no targets under the coil, hit the GB button once and scan the area, find a clean spot, hold the GB button and do the funny shake.

do the funny shake lol

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the AT Pro it will make a world of difference. I have NOT ground balanced and was fighting for good signals and a buddy of mine was finding things like crazy. Went back and ground balanced and it turned my day around.

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also say to start with coil on ground not in air......

sandy shoes

Jun 6, 2013
gloucester mass
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also you have 4 freq find the one that works the best for the type of ground you are on in my area i use freq 1 for fields and freq 4 for beaches

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

100% agreed! Every time you swing it. Then do it again at minimum once an hour as you continue hunting, more often as you notice coil drift or start to notice changes in soil composition.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ground balance before I start every time, then quite often during the hunt. Sometimes I am amazed how un-balanced it can be after 20-30 min. of swinging in the same park. Sod to sand to wood chips and vice versa, a must to re-do every time.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll occasionally read posts about preset, non-user adjustable ground balance detectors which are, unfortunately sometimes referred to as auto- ground balance when they really aren't. These preset machines work quite well in mild ground and are set to an "average" balance which is sometimes way off in some terrain. My point however, is that a poorly adjusted manual ground balance can give very poor results where a preset may still be usable. All the previous post are right on - learn to set a proper balance on you detector and check it every few minutes as you hunt.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread