Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A local park that I have hunted before, just banned metal detecting because (quote from parks official) "We recently have had many people digging without filling in their holes" this has gotten me quite upset as I found many wheats and some silver at this park. Also when digging, use a lesche or garden trowel. It looks like you are digging to china when you bring in a honkin huge shovel and dig a foot wide plug. So bottom line, please be respectful and fill your holes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bennitto340

Feb 20, 2013
upstate NY
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D
ETP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for your loss, had the same problem last year at one of my good spots

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At last.............a new thread, that hasn't already been beat to death.

nickeltabs

Feb 2, 2013
West Michigan, Holland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Garrett AT Pro
1 Garrett Pro Pointer
1 Lesche Trowel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal Detecting Digging Techniques for Sensitive Areas -this looks like a very good technique

Ya I know what you mean -they just dont know how to dig for a target

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain. We're about to lose all our state beaches to detecting July 1, and we are really not sure why??????
Trying very hard to stop it, we can only hope.

Next time some one leaves a big hole, make it a little bigger, then tell him it looks like a gold ring on the bottom! When he leans in to get it, whoops, and fill the hole real quick! :dontknow:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
detecting pro, be aware that when a city person cites the reason as ".... because of holes", it might just be the "go-to" reason they pass out. In other words, there may not necessarily have ever been a case holes they can point to. But .... rather .... when either a) they see someone out there detecting or b) someone just asked "can I metal detect": Either way, if they go to say "no", they will often subconsciously justify that "scram" or "no" they just gave you, by saying "holes".

But what it might simply be, is that "holes" is simply the knee-jerk connotation that our hobby has, EVEN if you left no holes, or they couldn't tell where you just were, etc..... It doesn't necessarily mean they ever actually saw someone's holes left open. It's often-time just the "go-to" reason, simply because it's the mental image that detecting, admittedly, brings.

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
detecting pro, be aware that when a city person cites the reason as ".... because of holes", it might just be the "go-to" reason they pass out. In other words, there may not necessarily have ever been a case holes they can point to. But .... rather .... when either a) they see someone out there detecting or b) someone just asked "can I metal detect": Either way, if they go to say "no", they will often subconsciously justify that "scram" or "no" they just gave you, by saying "holes". But what it might simply be, is that "holes" is simply the knee-jerk connotation that our hobby has, EVEN if you left no holes, or they couldn't tell where you just were, etc..... It doesn't necessarily mean they ever actually saw someone's holes left open. It's often-time just the "go-to" reason, simply because it's the mental image that detecting, admittedly, brings.

No, other people search the park, and I see holes people leave with the trash still in the plug. I try to fill them in, but everytime I go to the park, I find more and more!

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
No, other people search the park, and I see holes people leave with the trash still in the plug. I try to fill them in, but everytime I go to the park, I find more and more!

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

Ok, then yes, there are cases where it's an actual ocurrances of holes, and not the scenario I cite.

Question for you: did this city person just tell you it was a "rule", or do you know for a fact it's actually "on the books" as a real city-park rule? The reason I ask this, is this:

About 10 yrs. ago, a buddy and I were detecting one of my city's parks. It's the oldest park in town here, that's been detected since the early 1970s or even earlier. However, one day my buddy and I had a city worker drive up on us with his park-utility golf cart thing, and say "you can't do that". When I objected (nicely) and said "since when?", his answer was not unlike the answer you got: "Because of holes". He told us he was just passing on the word his boss had told him, that to B.O.L. for md'rs, as this wasn't allowed.

When I heard the guy say "because of holes", I pointed around us and said "we just dug 7 or 8 old coins from this area. Can you tell a single spot where we were?" The guy looked around and agreed we weren't doing any harm or leaving marks. So he says to us: "what I don't see when I get off work, doesn't bother me". So we said "great, what time do you get off work". He said "5pm". We looked at the time, and it was 4:45pm right then. So we merely sat on a park bench till 5pm. Sure enough, we saw him in the distance putting all his tools back in the shed, locking things up, get in his pickup, and drive off. Whereupon we merely resumed detecting. And since then (10 yrs. ago) I have not ceased to metal detect there.

So what I'm saying is: you can check to see if it's an actual rule truly now on the books. Because otherwise, if one person simply says "scram", no .... I do not take that as an all-encompassing new "law". Just gotta give lip service, and well .....

daemon1971

Sep 23, 2012
southeast mi
Detector(s) used
pioneer 202, gamma 6000, Garrett ATPro, tesoro vaquero
A local park that I have hunted before, just banned metal detecting because (quote from parks official) "We recently have had many people digging without filling in their holes" this has gotten me quite upset as I found many wheats and some silver at this park. Also when digging, use a lesche or garden trowel. It looks like you are digging to china when you bring in a honkin huge shovel and dig a foot wide plug. So bottom line, please be respectful and fill your holes.
Where in mi are you located? And perhaps park name if you don't mind me asking?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is or from what I've ran into is the guys doing this aren't online at all to see these posts. Most I've seen are older don't give a damn! It got a civil war site banned that I could have hunted without driving for a day to get to.

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes the problem isn't people filling their holes, but rather dry ground. When the ground is really dry, the mowers will suck it right back out of the ground. I've seen this a lot, even to my own plugs.

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are having the same issues here in Louisville Kentucky. It is illegal for them to ban you from detecting in the city parks. It is a public park for recreation. You are the public and you are recreating. There is a local park here that detectorist were ban from because of "digging holes" and the soccer field looked like someone tilled it up with a tiller. They didn't ban them from playing soccer? I was told that it is discrimination and you have a civil lawsuit case.. Call your local police and ask if there are any laws against metal detecting in your city parks. I bet the say no. Its just a new park policy. Police are not policy inforcers they are law inforcers. Dont just accept what they say. Do some research and fight back.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We are having the same issues here in Louisville Kentucky. It is illegal for them to ban you from detecting in the city parks. It is a public park for recreation. You are the public and you are recreating. There is a local park here that detectorist were ban from because of "digging holes" and the soccer field looked like someone tilled it up with a tiller. They didn't ban them from playing soccer? I was told that it is discrimination and you have a civil lawsuit case.. Call your local police and ask if there are any laws against metal detecting in your city parks. I bet the say no. Its just a new park policy. Police are not policy inforcers they are law inforcers. Dont just accept what they say. Do some research and fight back.

Hell YA!

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an interesting expirence in my own back yard last week. I was bored and didn't have much time so I hit my back yard for 30 to 40 minutes and made say 10 or 12 digs and filled them back in neatly of course. Well I was quiet surprised a few days later when I walked through the area and almost all of my holes had been dug up! There were several new ones also, the tell tell sign of the ARMADILLO!!! I guess it could smell the fresh dirt and dug in for some easy diggings!! Little *******!! Maybe I will get a crack at him soon with my AR! This may explain some of the other non-filled holes.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I encounter holes that were not properly filled all the time and i stomp them down but I also detect in the same areas each year at the same time of year because parks replenish themselves. I have found holes that were properly filled in and stomped down but still have a depressed ring around the plug and you can tell something was dug. Guess what a cpl of them were mine and I am very careful to fill my holes so when I walk away I can't even see them.

I will also say that even though I could tell they were plugs to someone not knowing what had happened they wouldn't give it a second thought.

I had a guy pull up at a soccer field I was detecting last week and I thought for sure he was going to tell me to leave. He said I am happy to see the way you dig and fill your holes. I was surprised and found out he was an ex detector and said you dig and fill just like i did. He told me he was the manager of the park and near by golf course and he has told guys to leave in the past but if the detect responsibly he lets anyone detect anywhere except ball diamonds.

As I read in another reply the people that don't fill their holes are not on any detecting forums.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions