Attn all F75 users new information!

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok if you are like me you have either figured this out on your own or sent the detector back or sold it. When I got my first F75 it was great! it was a sold unit so I didn't have time to do much checking out with it. The next one I got to play around with. Detector was easy to use and got great depth, but it seemed unstable lot of cracks and pops no matter where I was seemed to pick up a lot of iron junk even though it was discriminated out. "So I thought". Well guess what, all of you that like me played around with the notch control, 1 does not necessarily mean no notch it could mean accept iron, yes that’s right. If you don’t have a full slash through iron in notch setting you could be notching in either low iron or high iron.
The book is so misleading on this setting. To block out iron turn the notch up to 10 so there is a half slash at top push menu, then down until there is a full slash push menu you should now have a full slash on iron and not detect it at all. All of a sudden the detector becomes stable no more pops and cracks. It's like a new detector and with all the people complaining about this I am sure this is a big issue. All you have to do is look at the notch setting and run it up and then down to 1 and you just notched in iron without knowing it just like I did.
Sometimes you can have a full slash at Notch 1 setting sometimes at another setting makes no since how it works. You can play with it until there is a full slash, remember turn up till a slash on top half, push menu then down till there is now a full slash push menu watch detector quite down.
Also I have found that increasing Discrm past iron also makes the detector chatter more, not real bad but it seems to increase sensitivity without the number going up, if you lower the sensitivity down it quites again. The manual talks about this but I would think you would see the numbers raise.

Hope this helps all you F75 users. Reid
Wow 169 views not a singel commit. Why did I bother. Either you don't understand the post or you think all that poping and cracking is normol.
:thumbsup:

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Re: Attn all F75 users new information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi ReidMan,

You bothered because you are responsible and trying to do the right thing by bringing an important operating tip to everyone's attention. I've been away for a month and a half of prospecting with the 75...then I checked in here and read your comments. I appreciate those comments too. Made the discovery early on with this unit, that you could easily notch some iron back in by inadvertently clicking on the notch setting...frequently not realizing you did it. It seems to happen most to me when I'm setting up the disc level, but it's already "timed" out , so meanwhile I'm into the notch mode unawares. Now I always check to ensure notching is clear and pay attention not to accidently flip it on.

It caused some havoc early on testing this unit, my eyes aren't that great anymore trying to see the tiny little line through the first part of the iron. That resolved the inexplicable part of "instability" nicely...and the rest was learning the disc/gain nuances. No further issues with instability.

Prospecting with this unit exceeded my expectations as it performed superbly, and it was quiet as a churchmouse except when directly beneath hydro wires; then sens had to be reduced to compensate. Otherwise, max sens could be used in any mode (ground phase in the low 80's generally), and this unit did not make a peep... unless over a target. Anyways, thanks for your effort here.

Jim.

OP
OP
ReidMan

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Attn all F75 users new information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Jim I suffer from the same problem with my eyes, another issue I have had was I couldn't see it say can't GB and start getting false signals and realize that the minerals are lower then 40 so you have to manually ground balance the unit. This is usually not an issue unless the last time you ground balanced it was at like 80 and it will stay at that if GB fails. I have a field that I couldn't figure out why it was so erratic. Then realized after a lot of wasted time that the GB didn't change when I did it. I looked real close without my glasses saw the tiny cant gb then did a manual gb and the minerals were like at 30 and all was well. So this is something else to be aware off. Reid

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's

Reid, Thanks for the advise!! I, too, believe a lot of stability problems are due to the improper setting of the notch. I think lots of folks took your advise, and then didn't get around to replying! But, I know how you feel!! I posted an easy fix for the loose batteries in some of the F-75's, and out of over 100 views, got 1 reply. Well, you can lead a horse to water, but.... you know! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard.

liquid1

Apr 29, 2008
lake norman NC..
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Ace 250, Titan 2000 Xd

Thanks reid..great Info...
Jim, sounds like you had a great hunt..cant wait to here more...

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hi ReidMan,

Your comments:

Thanks Jim I suffer from the same problem with my eyes, another issue I have had was I couldn't see it say can't GB and start getting false signals and realize that the minerals are lower then 40 so you have to manually ground balance the unit. This is usually not an issue unless the last time you ground balanced it was at like 80 and it will stay at that if GB fails. I have a field that I couldn't figure out why it was so erratic. Then realized after a lot of wasted time that the GB didn't change when I did it. I looked real close without my glasses saw the tiny cant gb then did a manual gb and the minerals were like at 30 and all was well. So this is something else to be aware off. Reid

Yep, same experience here as well. With me, it was a case of trying to balance over some peculiar hot rocks in prospect country, then observing no difference in performance; subsequent peering hopelessly at the tiny writing on the screen re: "can't GB", suddenly remembering anything GBwise below 40 requires manual GB and so on. It's too bad those letters could not have been made in a larger font size.

As you and Richard point out, I agree that some of these nuances associated with the 75 have likely caused much unnecessary frustration with users, when in fact there very well may not have been any internal "malfunction" issue at all with some units. The result of tiny lettering and hard to see disc slashes...being that many early users, not realizing the unit isn't balanced properly, or has had the iron notched back out or whatever...wind up concluding their unit "doesn't work". What a shame.

Jim.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used

Jim, I totally agree! The font is very small on this unit and those half slashes will send you for heck of a ride, if the unit isn't in the exact light. I can see up close fine, the distance is where I get fuzzy!! LOL!! But, even though I take my glasses off to read, I believe it would be a great help to all folks if those notch slashes and "Can't G.B." were maybe a different color!? Good luck and Great hunting!! Regards, Richard.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I haven't used this unit much, still using the factory settings....I appreciate all the advise you all post....I am on a learning curve....finally nailed the pinpointing down pretty well. Maybe I can move on to "notching?"

gibsondan

Nov 15, 2008
Really, Fisher should clearly explain how to notch out iron. You shouldn't have to figure it out on your own because the manufacturer dropped the ball.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
GibsonDan, Skypilot02 here! I couldn't agree more! The '75 manual leaves a lot to be desired, in explanation as well as practical use! It would seem that the folks who write the manual examine the machine in the lab, instead of in the field! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard.

Brendoodl

Feb 22, 2008
Is there a book out on the market that gives better tips and ideas how to properly use F-75. The manual is awful and pretty much just skims over how to use the machine. I just purchased it two weeks ago and it is a major upgrade but since I have been going detecting more often I wanted a better product. I have it and am some what overwhelmed, I will figure it out, but pointers are always helpful. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread