ATTN: Detectorist in Hays Kansas

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
I requested info from the City of Hays Parks department regarding detecting in city parks. I was very sad to learn that the use of metal detectors is totally prohibited in all city parks in Hays Kansas! WHY?! I requested the info because my wife & I are going to be in that area mid-Sept. and I wanted to do some detecting while we are there. I wonder if anyone in that area knows the reason behind why they don't allow any detecting in city parks. Are there no detectorists in that area? Someone needs to stand up and fight the power other there! Maybe somehow lobby to get this law changed! Detecting is a great hobby for the entire family. Allowing detecting can be a good thing ~ I know when I detect in a park I leave it better than when I got there ~ I collect and discard all the junk I come across (above and below the surface!).

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason Hays parks are off limits is due to the fact that Hays has ground at the south end of town that includes areas originally occupied by Fort Hays. Since state rules prohibit excavation of artifacts, Hays just decided that metal detector use would be prohibited in ALL city parks. Even tho us evil detectorists can't enjoy our hobby, kids can go there and dig to their hearts content and leave open holes, as do animals. The parks are also used by some of the local, um, well, how do I say this discreetly........ the big park at the south end of town is a place some guys go to hang out with the guys, if you know what I mean. I guess some activities are ok in the eyes of the city fathers, while others are not. Go figure.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread