Atx vs sdc 2300

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like cheeseburgers! Good luck! :icon_thumleft:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deeper for what exactly?? Your talking an apple and an orange comparing the ATX, a vlf machine with multiple coils and settings, to the SDC 2300, a PI machine with a fixed coil and few adjustments. The first is a good all around machine the second is a dedicated one~ primarily for gold prospecting~ and it has limited depth due to its fixed design. Ya should read up a good bit on both units and if its gold your looking for consider a 5000 or GPZ.

OP
OP
tweeta_bear

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
Yes it will be for gold prospecting. I watched a vid that did a comparison between the atx and the 5000 and the atx out preformed the 5000. I know where there is a stream that has nice gravel bars and in a very remote location with gold mines in the general area. I watched a vid of a machine by makro deephunter find a radiator at 190 cm (6'-2") ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482478645.511062.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482478669.778292.jpg

Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I hate being sick..... sorry but I got my detectors mixed up I was thinking the AT series detectors and not the ATX~ a PI. Well thats drugs and a cold for ya.
I'll leave my mistake up there to remind myself. Bleh.

Anyrate the ATX verse's the SDC is still a bit lopsided as the ATX will give more depth due to larger size however it does not have the sensitivity of the SDC for small gold.
Both are water proof units and pretty rugged at that. Both are fixed coil units and that limits options. As to the ATX verses the GP series the ATX is outperformed by the GP's very regularly in terms of versatility and detection capability however the GP has a much steeper learning curve. If you want simple the ATX or the SDC is a good turn on and go. I'd spend money on the GP personally as it will give a range of detection that overlaps both the ATX and the SDC.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you watched a video of some Californian comparing the ATX to a Minelab GPX 5000 and the ATX " out preformed the 5000," then the guy didn't know how to set up the GPX. The ATX is not in the same league as the Minelab GPX machines - Period. :skullflag:

Youngster1972

Greenie
Jan 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deeper for what exactly?? Your talking an apple and an orange comparing the ATX, a vlf machine with multiple coils and settings, to the SDC 2300, a PI machine with a fixed coil and few adjustments. The first is a good all around machine the second is a dedicated one~ primarily for gold prospecting~ and it has limited depth due to its fixed design. Ya should read up a good bit on both units and if its gold your looking for consider a 5000 or GPZ.

I thought the ATX was a PI machine?

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The ATX IS a Pi and it is a goodun.

The 2300 is better on small gold, the ATX is better on large gold. (detects large gold deeper than the 2300) Both machines perform well over saltwater beaches and have OK sensitivity to small gold chains and jewellery items.
The SDC is much easier to use and is lighter than the ATX.
The ATX has a good selection of coils available.
There are some after market coils available for the 2300 although not many Aussies are very impressed by them.

For beach detecting I use an Garrett Infinium, Whites TDi, a Tesoro Sand Shark A sea Hunter MK2 and a Sov XS and Fisher Gold bug DP.
The Infinium is great but has a bit of a learning curve. The TDI is excellent, the Sea Hunter is very good and on par with the Infinium for salt beach detecting.
The Sov is a bit long in the tooth but is still a great beach machine and has very good discrimination and depth. The Sand Shark gets the least depth of the machines listed but is still a very good machine although can get messed up a bit by EMI.
The Gold Bug 2 is a vlf running at 19khz and will ground balance to the salt water line.in the All Metal mode and achieves very good depth and has far and away the best sensitivity to small gold chains than any of the above detectors, however the Disc mode is of very limited use over wet salt sand and is best used over the dry sand.
I find myself using the Gold Bug DP fitted with an 11 inch DD very often at the beach. It is light weight, has good TID readout and will not miss many targets of coin and ring size to depths from the surface to 18+ inches in the wet sand.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread