Authentic Confederate Buttons or Reproductions?

qapla21

Jan 25, 2023
Good afternoon, I recently found two non-dug Confederate "Script I" buttons. They are identical and have a great patina. They both have "Superior Quality" back marks. The problem is that the back marks are a bit different than I am used to. Instead of an outer rim of dots with Superior Quality inside of that separated by dots, these have an outer rim of dots, with Superior Quality separated by small stars and then have a double ring of dots around the shank. A known variation? or post Civil War reproductions? I am not aware of any reproduction using versions of actual CW back marks but am not an expert. Any ideas?
IMG_0487.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0488.JPG
    IMG_0488.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
Upvote 3

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Might want to move this to the What Is It forum.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe your button is authentic. Tice lists this button with a Superior Quality backmark. The button should be 22 mm.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon, I recently found two non-dug Confederate "Script I" buttons. They are identical and have a great patina. They both have "Superior Quality" back marks. The problem is that the back marks are a bit different than I am used to. Instead of an outer rim of dots with Superior Quality inside of that separated by dots, these have an outer rim of dots, with Superior Quality separated by small stars and then have a double ring of dots around the shank. A known variation? or post Civil War reproductions? I am not aware of any reproduction using versions of actual CW back marks but am not an expert. Any ideas? View attachment 2066453
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread