Authentication services. COA

jim Gordo

Nov 30, 2016
Dassel, Minnesota 55325
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As some of you know,I have a post here about a stone pipe i have found. Today i had it at the University archeology department Was very informative. long story short they document location of find, but do not offer written COA's, value in terms of worth, and will not take samples , other than visual inspection. If you donate the artifact, they can do whatever types of studies deemed necessary by their department. I would like to keep this stone pipe, share it in our local history center ,along with artifacts they have on display for public viewing. who do you all use for getting written COA's or suggest? Thank You ,JimG

Upvote 0

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't worry about a coa if you found it , I would be wary of putting it on loan, Ive heard stories about ppl not getting their pieces back.imo I would just display it at home and pass it down in the family,You could take it to local artifact shows to get info on it. Just my 2 cents.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't worry about a coa if you found it , I would be wary of putting it on loan, Ive heard stories about ppl not getting their pieces back.imo I would just display it at home and pass it down in the family,You could take it to local artifact shows to get info on it. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with all of this. Paying for a COA is just a waste of money if you don't plan on selling it and "loaning" something to a university never works out. I have heard lots of horror stories where collections or really nice pieces were loaned to universities and they were never returned. Most were reported as being "lost". I personally know a man that loaned lots of pieces to UK several years ago for a two year study and has gotten just a small fraction of some of it back. Keep it in your hands and pass it down through the family.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jim Gordo

Nov 30, 2016
Dassel, Minnesota 55325
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with all of this. Paying for a COA is just a waste of money of you don't plan on selling it and "loaning" something to a university never works out. I have heard lots of horror stories where collections or really nice pieces were loaned to universities and they were never returned. Most were reported as being "lost". I personally know a man that loaned lots of pieces to UK several years ago for a two year study and has gotten just a small fraction of some of it back. Keep is in your hands and pass it down through the family.

the way i understand it, if you donate your artifact to university,you do not get it back, they then conduct tests or examine anyway they like. if you want to keep it,they will look at it, visually inspect it, take note of location it was found, but will not take samples, or conduct testing on it, either way,the University will not offer you a written coa, or statement of worth or value

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
if you found it that is all the COA you need...and it is priceless as far as i am concerned.

OP
OP
J

jim Gordo

Nov 30, 2016
Dassel, Minnesota 55325
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you found it that is all the COA you need...and it is priceless as far as i am concerned.

I agree. At this time ,I will not pursue a coa. most likely will never find a similar item again, thanks for all the opinions, I appreciate that information. JG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread