Automatic Classifier

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm too lazy to work a classifier back and forth by hand so I invented a way for a wiper motor to do it for me......

A rope attaches to an eye bolt on the classifier then around two pulleys and then to the cam on the wiper motor which causes the classifier to jerk back and forth like the agitator on a vintage washing machine. When the on/off switch is shut off, the cam automatically returns to the top position allowing enough slack in the rope to dump out the classifier using the handle that is mounted on a hinge which repositions the classifier back into the bucket after dumping.

I will post video of it later because it's hard to tell from photos just how well it performs.
Will work wet or dry. Also, fast and easy to change from one classifier to another which will be shown in the video.
Only weighs around 5 lbs. without the battery.

classifier1.jpg

classifier (2).jpg

classifier3.jpg

NO patent pending :tongue3:

Go for the Gold
GG~

Last edited:
Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
The Wizard come out with yet another neat idea ! NICE JOB Buddy ! Once I was wanting to build something on this order BUT I was going to use a 120vac vibrating device . I still have 2 of them that I didnt sell off with all my other mining equipment / items .

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice work, GG! Looking forward to the video!
Jim

BoydBros

Jul 28, 2019
Arizona
Detector(s) used
MineLab GoldMonster 1000
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm too lazy to work a classifier back and forth by hand so I invented a way for a wiper motor to do it for me......

A rope attaches to an eye bolt on the classifier then around two pulleys and then to the cam on the wiper motor which causes the classifier to jerk back and forth like the agitator on a vintage washing machine. When the on/off switch is shut off, the cam always stops at the top position allowing enough slack in the rope to dump out the classifier using the handle that is mounted on a hinge which repositions the classifier back into the bucket after dumping.

I will post video of it later because it's hard to tell from photos just how well it performs.
Will work wet or dry. Also, fast and easy to change from one classifier to another which will be shown in the video.
Only weighs around 5 lbs. without the battery.

GG~

neat setup, never thought of using a wiper motor.
I've got most of the parts for mine using an 80LB Salt & Sand Vibrator Motor Spreader and a foot pedal activated dumper from those no touch trash cans with a foot pedal lid.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Wizard come out with yet another neat idea ! NICE JOB Buddy ! Once I was wanting to build something on this order BUT I was going to use a 120vac vibrating device . I still have 2 of them that I didnt sell off with all my other mining equipment / items .

Thanks Russ,
I tried using a 12v 80lb sand and salt vibrator in addition but you wouldn't believe the noise it made. (Not the vibrator itself but the whole assembly)
s-l500.jpg
I like the peace and quiet out in the desert.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a video of that in action?

I tried to make a video today but for some reason it quit recording after 3 seconds and I didn't know it until I got home :icon_scratch:
Will have to try again on my next outing.

After field testing with dry paydirt I found that it did an excellent job when using the 1/2" classifier, however it seemed to take longer to finish classifying a full load in the 1/4" classifier.
Pretty sure I can work that bug out but it may require a complete re design of the linkage system. My simplest way idea just didn't have fast enough action.

One thing I liked was that I could let it run hands free while getting another shovelful ready to refill the classifier. :icon_thumright:

GG~

Last edited:

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I tried to make a video today but for some reason it quit recording after 3 seconds and I didn't know it until I got home :icon_scratch:
Will have to try again on my next outing.

After field testing with dry paydirt I found that it did an excellent job when using the 1/2" classifier, however it seemed to take longer to finish classifying a full load in the 1/4" classifier.
Pretty sure I can work that bug out but it may require a complete re design of the linkage system. My simplest way idea just didn't have fast enough action.

One thing I liked was that I could let it run hands free while getting another shovelful ready to refill the classifier. :icon_thumright:

GG~

I like your idea! I've seen a lot of small scale equipment that uses counter weights to produce vibration. Dry washers for example. And now yours which is using a windshield wiper motor to produce a back and forth movement.

I'm a bit of a nerd and have toyed with the idea of using an arduino to drive a stepper motor to produce oscillating movement. Although it's a bit more complex from a technology standpoint, it would provide the ability to use software to control the throw of the arm as well as the speed in which the arm moves. Rather than having to modify or replace physical hardware, software parameters could be changed to alter the motion and speed. I think it would speed up R&D time since you could change those parameters in the field to see how it affects performance.

Joanne

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your idea! I've seen a lot of small scale equipment that uses counter weights to produce vibration. Dry washers for example. And now yours which is using a windshield wiper motor to produce a back and forth movement.

I'm a bit of a nerd and have toyed with the idea of using an arduino to drive a stepper motor to produce oscillating movement. Although it's a bit more complex from a technology standpoint, it would provide the ability to use software to control the throw of the arm as well as the speed in which the arm moves. Rather than having to modify or replace physical hardware, software parameters could be changed to alter the motion and speed. I think it would speed up R&D time since you could change those parameters in the field to see how it affects performance.

Joanne

Thank You Joanne,

I had to google arduino as I have no experience with it. Going to be a learning curve for me but I am interested in discovering the applications and how I can work it into my projects.

Do you have something that you have used this on that you can show me so that I may have a better understanding of an application?
Years ago I had some experience with slow rpm stepper motors for use as a clock drive on a telescope but that's all.

Thanks again for bringing this technology to my attention.

GG~

Last edited:

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank You Joanne,

I had to google arduino as I have no experience with it. Going to be a learning curve for me but I am interested in discovering the applications and how I can work it into my projects.

Do you have something that you have used this on that you can show me so that I may have a better understanding of an application?
Years ago I had some experience with slow rpm stepper motors for use as a clock drive on a telescope but that's all.

Thanks again for bringing this technology to my attention.

GG~

GG - I actually don't have a good example for you. The project that I was working on was an LED signboard. Give me a bit of time and I'll do some research on Arduinos and stepper motors and get back with you. I think it would be fun to experiment with. The great thing is there are huge communities of Arduino fans, so there are a ton of resources online. Both for the hardware as well as software. I've spent my career writing business software so that flattens my learning curve.

Sorry I didn't explain what an Arduino is! For those who haven't looked it up, it's a hobbyist micro-controller. In other words a dumb computer that can control hardware. They are super cheap and made for amateur hobbyists. They became popular with early robot builders. Here is their official site: https://www.arduino.cc/

Joanne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread