Avila,California,Bandits Cave------------maybe a reserve or stae park ?/Solvang

T

trapperjon

About 4 miles west,and 5 miles north of Pismo beach. This was a hideout and hangout for smugglers and bandits. It is located near a old landing where sailing ships use to dock. It is rumored that their is a stolen stage coach gold shipment buried in or around this cave, and probably other stolen loot also. I would go in without metal detectors and just pose as hikers at 1st. get a good lay of the land, take photos, and decide where you want to hunt. Then pick a day during the week ,when it would be most deserted, in the late afternoon,and do your thing.{the key here is to locate the old dock landings}

Supposidly, their are mule loads of buried treasure,buried near or under 2 oak trees,with 2 candle holders driven into the trees.,by church Padres.{private land}Their is also evidence of treasure buried near the mouth of Cachuma creek,and their are old spanish mines far back into the more remote areas.

Their maybe be a buried stagecoach box of gold,containing $30,000. in gold near San Marcos Pass. I may soon look for this stash myself, as I would sure like to purchase a new H2 Humvee,and Harley motorcycle..HEHEHE$$$$$$$$$$${I have left out some details on this cache, for obivous reasons}.

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Well, just north of Pismo in the Avila Beach area, before you check it out, make sure you leave your scruples behind (no pun intended), in the area of Bandit's Cave, there is Now a Nudist Hangout, which still would be good for Coin Hunting since everybody there is shedding their clothes and dropping their pants! He,He....There is lot's of Places along this Coastal California Area that Treasure has been hidden in the past and it is really sometimes hard to imagine what went on here 100 to 200 years ago...As you cruise up the coast and get ready to enter the Town (or City) of San Luis Obispo, Traveling Northbound, look for Madonna Road, where the Madonna Inn is...Go there, Park in the Parking Lot, get your Binoculars out and Look North to the Mountain Peak of San Luis Peak, towards the Top, by a dirt trail or road, and lo and behold, you will see a Rock Formation that Closely Resembles a Giant TURTLE, it's head Erect and point to the West...Believe it or not, your can see it from the Freeway, but it's safer if you get off the road........Supposedly, Church Treasure is buried somewhere close by and this Tale of Treasure has it's beginning with either "Hippolyte Bouchard" a South American Pirate Raiding the Coastal Mission Towns in the early 1800's...Or....John C. Freemont and his Army taking over California from the Mexicans....But, there is evidence that Treasure from San Luis Obispo Mission, Did Stash Treasure.......Along the Cuesta Grade, North of San Luis, is the Old, Old El Camino Royal and Stagecoach Road....3 Good Documented Treasures along there...Close to the Summit sits Santa Margarita Town....Treasures are reported in Many Area's, too vast to list....Some are probably bull, some are Real McCoys. Darrell

dannyg

Dec 28, 2013
slo county california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent an afternoon at pirates cove with my buddy out of paso we metal detected and found some neat remnants of the old coast guard shacks from the 1890s

Attachments

• 1427173051892.jpg
    1427173051892.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 583

1krazeepolack

Sep 1, 2009
Buckeye, Az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I heavily researched this supposed stage robbery for over THREE YEARS!!!! I obtained permisssion to search OFFICIAL records in Santa Barbara courthouse records, newspaper archives, some yellowed & FALLING APART!! Micro-fiche records, etc etc showed NO information of this robbery or the supposed robbers. I personally interviewed the three Step sisters that were still alive at the time, & niether had any recollection of this robbery. I personally worked with the then present owner of the Stagecoach Tavern & a well known S.B. author. Sheriff's records also had no information concerning this story. It is my personal opinon that this was a PRE-fabricated story to do nothing more than promote a false historic event by certain concerned individuals to sell books & promote a local business located in San Marcos Pass, which is still there to this day. A metal detector also located nothing including searching the immediate tavern area, & many nearby trails & surrounding areas. I truly believe this story is & was created as nothing more then a HOAX!!!! It would be a waste of your time to follow this huge lie perpetrated on the public!!!! This article is in regards to the falsely reportd SAN MARCOS stage robbery.

Last edited:

1krazeepolack

Sep 1, 2009
Buckeye, Az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Behind Gibraltar lake, there is a closed quicksilver mine, known as the Sunbird mine. I do NOT suggest going into it. Approximately a mile behind the Sunbird, can be located an abandoned explosives bunker. Near that bunker, very near the "old lake shoreline" is another abandoned area of interest. It is a flat sort of cement flooring, including some very ornate bricks!! Some still have mortar attached, while others are just lying on the surface. It is not a large type floor & I do not know what it's use was. I had very good access to this area as a city employee at a period during the 1960's & 70's. I was also on friendly terms with the Sunbird foreman & crew members. I hunted this area, & camped & hiked in much of it. This area referred to can also be reached coming in from behind the mine, via Mono campground & debris dam. I hauled out many of the bricks as yard decorations. They are unique in size & shape, & appear to be hand made. Heavy brush strokes appear on one side, while the rest of them seem to be hand shaped. I was never able to determine who made them- was it the mine workers, mexican laborers, or possibly indians? I do not know. What I do know, is that those beatiful bricks are still there as of this posting. You cannot get to this area from the Camino Cielo gate. You can get to it from the Mono campground area with a vehicle to that point. The balance of your trek will have to be on foot, as there are no trails to the mine area from there. This foundation would be approximately30 to 40 feet "above" that high water shoreline. Another employee that was with me on a hunting trip also lost a revolver, coming from the now lost cabin & ranger field phone that was there at one time. We used to sleep over in this cabin during hunting season. The cabin was finally lost during a storm. At the Sunbird mine, there are also many, many vehicles that are abandoned and buried at the front area of the mine itself. Some of these may still be partialluy visible. The vehicles were simply pushed over the mountainside-dirt was often dozed over afterward. How Santa Barbara allowed that to happen is beyond me. At another point in time, there was also a small plane crash into the lake itself. The pilot was very lucky, as he was able to walk away from the crash site & proceed to find the field phone at the cabin site. He used this phone to contact the ranger posted further back in the mountains. I was instrumental along with several others, in the recovery of this small plane & only one of it's log books could be found at the crash site. The plane was a Mooney Mite. You did not fly this plane, you "wore it !! It was very compact. I still have some of the photo's of the plane's debris. If you'd like to get some very unique bricks, now you know where they are. They are smaller than what we know as normal bricks of today. Somewhere in this back country was also located an indian burial ground. I was never able to locate it, but I did know a person that had. I beleive he has since passed away years ago. I also no longer live in or near Santa Barbara. I could be contacted if you were interested in any type follow up regarding what you read here.

1krazeepolack

Sep 1, 2009
Buckeye, Az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Driving southbound highway 101 from Buellton, Ca. one time, JUST as you negotiate that last narrow curve at Gaviota Pass, I noticed many years back, there was a "wooden ladder" about 100 feet from the highway. It was very decrepit & many parts of it were badly damaged. I have no idea what this ladder was for, who constructed it, why,& is it still there today?? Maybe, even portions of it still remain? You have to have the time to really look all the way up. There have been several serious traffic accidents through this area. Do not relax your guard here!! This ladder ascended all the way to the top of the cliff as it is!! This in itelf took me by surprise!! What purpose could a wooden ladder have in such an area?? Does it posssibly still show some remnants?? This clearly was a very extreme oddity to me when I first saw it. This exact area is very dangerous! Do not attempt to slow down or stop here!! Parking is available, (or was) just ahead at the Gaviota rest area. Hiking back could be possible in the creek bed to view this area better & safer. Another curiosity in this area is just as you make the turnoff to Lompoc. just as you turn onto the Lompoc road, take an immediate left, back toward Gaviota for a short distance.There is a covered stagecoach stop that is fenced off. Nearby, is what appears to be an abandoned arrastra right along the dirt access road. The stage stop is in major disrepair, but interesting to view or capture a photo? Exercise EXTREME CAUTION at Gaviota!

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Some REALLY GREAT tips given here. THANKS!! ;-)

Driving southbound highway 101 from Buellton, Ca. one time, JUST as you negotiate that last narrow curve at Gaviota Pass, I noticed many years back, there was a "wooden ladder" about 100 feet from the highway. It was very decrepit & many parts of it were badly damaged. I have no idea what this ladder was for, who constructed it, why,& is it still there today?? Maybe, even portions of it still remain? You have to have the time to really look all the way up. There have been several serious traffic accidents through this area. Do not relax your guard here!! This ladder ascended all the way to the top of the cliff as it is!! This in itelf took me by surprise!! What purpose could a wooden ladder have in such an area?? Does it posssibly still show some remnants?? This clearly was a very extreme oddity to me when I first saw it. This exact area is very dangerous! Do not attempt to slow down or stop here!! Parking is available, (or was) just ahead at the Gaviota rest area. Hiking back could be possible in the creek bed to view this area better & safer. Another curiosity in this area is just as you make the turnoff to Lompoc. just as you turn onto the Lompoc road, take an immediate left, back toward Gaviota for a short distance.There is a covered stagecoach stop that is fenced off. Nearby, is what appears to be an abandoned arrastra right along the dirt access road. The stage stop is in major disrepair, but interesting to view or capture a photo? Exercise EXTREME CAUTION at Gaviota!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread