WOW :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Just curious what do meteorites read as on your detector ? Iron :icon_scratch:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Might be. Has it been tested for nickel composition yet?

If real, and REAL nice find.

More pics, please?

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a lump of coal to me.... :icon_thumleft: Dose it stick to a magnet ? :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding, A-company. I'm not sure all folks realize the value of such a find.

Pages 309/310 of O. Richard Norton's book ,"Rocks From Space," offer a small blurb about metal detectors used for hunting meteorites. He hypes White's but obviously all detectors can do the job -- providing they're set for reading iron objects.

According to Norton, newer detectors can be fine-tuned to differentiate between human iron "trash" and possible meteorite material. I balk at that a bit but understand the thinking of tuning out small trashy readings -- and essentially increasing the chance of a meteorite strike, so to speak.

By the by, your find is a museum quality specimen, as is. It is likely not sliceable, though it takes a pro to decide that. I once sliced (w/ diamond saw) an olivine rich stony/iron meteorite and sold the polished slabs for well in excess of $10,000. The finder had been offered $1,000 for the whole piece -- and was that close to selling it. The finder and I split the profit and he rushed off thinking he could easily find another one. That was 15 years ago -- and neither of us have come close to finding any more rocks from the sky.

Fish-Gate

Jan 10, 2006
Huntington, Indiana, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! Sounds like it could be worth a bundle. Did you find it in a field? Some universities might be willing to give you lots of info on your find... just a thought.

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Fantastic find....WTG

Attachments

• tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 1,850
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 1,821

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find. They read as iron??

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know that it's a meteroite as opposed to iron slag? I know nothing of the difference.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
romeo-1 said:
How do you know that it's a meteroite as opposed to iron slag? I know nothing of the difference.
There are many factors to tell the difference between a true meteorite and iron slag. There is usually a black or brown fusion-crust 1-3mm thick. A small groove by a file is sufficient to *prove* that exists, and does not require cutting the entire stone. The stone should be magnetic. Often the impact of a meteorite with a rock face will magnetize the meteorite itself.

If you cut a groove, test the filings from the groove for nickel. Nickel-iron meteorites contain about 5% nickel, and the presence of that element, while not completely positive (especially in Southern Oregon!) is a very strong indicator. Josephinite, found along the Rogue River in Southern Oregon, is the only terrestrial mineral I am aware of which has both nickel and iron in it.

Usually, meteorites will have regmaglympts on it. If you don't know what that word means, look it up.

This stone, at over 2 inches long, could be slabbed, and the cut surfaces etched to show Widmanstatten patterns. A meteorite showing such patterns is worth more than one which does not show them.

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, if it is a meteorite, very hefty chunk. What is the weight?
It'd be super if you could somehow verify it is or isn't.

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE White's XL Pro Treasure Mate Pinpointer Nikon
sseth said:
Hare are some pictures of a meteorite I just found. IT is just about as dreamy as they get.
Incredible find! Thanks for showing it, here's a cross-section of a meteorite found in Antarctica. :dog: :dog: :dog:

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,180

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that is a meteorite I vote banner. We are talking about detecting space debri. Pretty cool !!!
Congratulations.
TnMtns

master mason

Apr 26, 2010
in a house
Detector(s) used
tesoro umax II fisher f 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some people call him a space cowboy, nice find , now hold up your right pointer finger, strech your neck up and out at the same time and spell I met ?????????????? happy hunting

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Pretty awesome, I want one now!

CB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions