FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi there, I posted this button many months ago to find out anything about it. I got a lot of great replies. I am posting it again in the hopes that someone might know anything about these types of buttons. I found it in Utica, Indiana about 6 months ago at a construction site. It is a Civil War Cadet button from the Kentucky Military Institute. The word "CADET" is above the eagle, and K.M.I. below it. The backmark is "Horstman Bros. & Allien". Please let me know what you think of it, and of any info about it you may know. I would also like to know how much its worth if anyone knows. Thanks and HH!

Fox

Attachments

• KMI1.jpg
    KMI1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 414
  • KMI4.jpg
    KMI4.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 416
Upvote 0

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's where I put that..........................

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Hey Foxhound, your button is a SU 193 KMI Cadet, Kentucky Military Institute, staff button. and Albert shows it as having an RV5 value. The backmark dates it from between 1850 and 1877. Fantastic find...Hope that helps some...Lance

Major William Brown

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2011
The very large rim, face design and style of backmark strongly suggest to me, as a school button collector, that you've got a postwar KMI, circa 1870s or so. It's hard finding period correct 3-pc KMIs, but all of the 2 piece ones where they're shaking hands are prewar. There is very little value in a postwar KMI 3-pc and they're a dime a dozen. Regards, Bill Brown, contributing editor to N-S Trader's CW magazine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions