Back after 15 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
Well I started detecting little over 15 years ago and started looking and posting on here. Started when the garret 250 just came out and then jumped right into the sovereign gt that also was just released.
Had some others quite a few Tesoro’s and pretty much ended with the excalliber II.
Didn’t really do a whole lot of detecting but got to try out a fair share of detectors and asked alot of questions on here which helped me out.
After selling everything for whatever reason it just hit me to want to get back i to it and surprised this forum was still up and running and even some same people still on here that were very informative that I remember such as Monte.
I can’t remember my old user name so i just reregistered.
I am also surprised as i have not kept up with the brands and models and shocked that companies like whites and Tesoro are no longer around.
Also surprised as the technology has advanced so much in just the last couple years from what i have read to where everything new is so light and packed with features especially with the two main companies still around garrett and Minelab.
The sovereign gt was a great machine just too heavy to swing especially now that i am older. Now it appears the vanquish has better technology packed in a small detector like the 250 was at the time.
Which leads me to a question to those that are familiar with the new ones. I am looking to start slow with something not too expensive such as around $300 or so
And the vanquish really stood out because of the price and the multi frequency capabilities.
I will mostly use it to hunt coins, Jewlery, anything of value in parks, old areas some beach, not planning on deep relic hunting anywhere will probably just use it in my state of Florida which is basically a big sand bar. No dark hard soil to speak of around here for those of you that know the state. It’s mostly sandy and not planning on taking it into the water at all at the beach as of now anyway. I used my excalliber years ago for that. Wasn’t really big on hunting in the water.
I see alot are big on this new company that makes the simplex but it is a vlf machine and here is what i am wondering for those that have used these new machines especially in Florida. Will the multi frequencies like the vanquish work better with the higher frequencies for finding jewelry like gold around here.
I know it has a fixed ground balance and from what i can remember around here ground balance wasn’t an issue as the machines i had with ground balance really didn’t do anything or change and machines with fixed ground balance like the Tesoro’s did just fine went just as deep as the sovereign which went pretty deep. The sovereign had auto gb. Maybe it was just me.
Again im not looking to deep relic hunt but would like to find that small gold and silver jewelry i used to find along with any coins.
This area doesn’t have alot of old historical sites to speak of but everything does seem to sink because of the loose sandy soil
Any help with info on these new machines and what will work best in my conditions and for what i will use it for would be great.
Maybe one day i will get back into getting something like the new 800 but not even sure i would need something like that for what i am looking to do
Thanks

Upvote 12

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a well thought out decision to me. Good luck with the new machine and glad you made it back. Good thing you aren't hitting the beaches right away. There is enough competition for the pull tabs and bottle caps here on the Treasure Coast as it is.

OP
OP
D

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
Sounds like a well thought out decision to me. Good luck with the new machine and glad you made it back. Good thing you aren't hitting the beaches right away. There is enough competition for the pull tabs and bottle caps here on the Treasure Coast as it is.
Little hot right now lol

OP
OP
D

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
Thanks for the kindness
Just torn between a vlf single frequency machine or a multi frequency
Budget makes it even harder
Anyone in Florida who hunts parks and ground other than beaches
have better results with one or other finding smaller non ferrous metals?
Its all pretty much sand here just weather you are in salt water or not is the only difference

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch a kid on Youtube that hunts in Florida in soil like you are talking about his channel is "treasure outdoors" and he runs a few different machines you should see which one he likes best.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
Will do.
I have to say i have always been partial to Minelab and Tesoro and Tesoro is no longer in business but i am looking at all the new stuff
Yeah, sad that Tesoro is gone. They still can be had keeping an eye out.

If you're ok with reduced performance around the wet salt keep an eye on First Texas Products (Fisher/Teknetics/Bounty Hunter), and as you know a Simplex.

For your budget as per needs you will do very well.

OP
OP
D

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
Yeah, sad that Tesoro is gone. They still can be had keeping an eye out.

If you're ok with reduced performance around the wet salt keep an eye on First Texas Products (Fisher/Teknetics/Bounty Hunter), and as you know a Simplex.

For your budget as per needs you will do very well.
Been looking at simplex quite a bit as well. The thing is i live 15 minutes from the beach so the odds i would end up on a beach are probably higher than i want as i say I don’t plan to beach hunt
It would actually take me longer to drive to parks and other areas then the beach. Maybe im just looking for more of a challenge lol

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
Been looking at simplex quite a bit as well. The thing is i live 15 minutes from the beach so the odds i would end up on a beach are probably higher than i want as i say I don’t plan to beach hunt
It would actually take me longer to drive to parks and other areas then the beach. Maybe im just looking for more of a challenge lol
That's the rub. My original suggestion fits your situation. I would also look over the smaller V8 coil as having a possible future for that machine attached to your arm.

But a Simplex gives you more opportunity that you may not take full advantage of, but does provide challenges in this frequent use area.

OP
OP
D

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
That's the rub. My original suggestion fits your situation. I would also look over the smaller V8 coil as having a possible future for that machine attached to your arm.

But a Simplex gives you more opportunity that you may not take full advantage of, but does provide challenges in this frequent use area.
Tried to find info on the v8 coil on their website and couldn’t see any.
The budget is really $500 but starting over that has to include decent detector, decent pin pointer, and decent digging tool. Basically starting from scratch again.
Leaning towards a carrot for pinpoint should last me the duration hopefully and thats $125 right there another $50 for tools say $25 for pouch so under $300 for detector.
I know bundles but they are usually the same brand of everything and to me no manufacture makes the best of everything they all have plus and minus. So trying to cherry pick the best of all things and in future if works out just upgrade the detector. No need or have budget to replace all tools. Really the detector should be the only thing you should have to upgrade. Trying to think in advance and having done the hobby before helps just need to familiarize myself with everything new out there. Don’t want to jump in on everything outdated either.
Although there are still some good old generation detectors out there but usually technology advances where you get better for same price or less.
I think plasma TVs are hard to beat but big, heavy inefficient. Computers get smaller faster and better and these newer detectors are basically computer software driven.
Thats why shame more basic hardware driven like tesoro with knobs beep and dig machines are a thing of the past.
Most society demand’s automated even cars are starting to drive themselves which i have mixed feelings on where everything is headed.
You have a power outage and people are lost. Makes people not be able to think for anything. I was not allowed to have a calculator for math class in school now they require it.
Why the person at the register had to use one when I purchased something for $1.75 gave $2 and needed to figure out change when register wasn’t working. True story.
Anyway getting off subject here

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tried to find info on the v8 coil on their website and couldn’t see any.
The budget is really $500 but starting over that has to include decent detector, decent pin pointer, and decent digging tool. Basically starting from scratch again.
Leaning towards a carrot for pinpoint should last me the duration hopefully and thats $125 right there another $50 for tools say $25 for pouch so under $300 for detector.
I know bundles but they are usually the same brand of everything and to me no manufacture makes the best of everything they all have plus and minus. So trying to cherry pick the best of all things and in future if works out just upgrade the detector. No need or have budget to replace all tools. Really the detector should be the only thing you should have to upgrade. Trying to think in advance and having done the hobby before helps just need to familiarize myself with everything new out there. Don’t want to jump in on everything outdated either.
Although there are still some good old generation detectors out there but usually technology advances where you get better for same price or less.
I think plasma TVs are hard to beat but big, heavy inefficient. Computers get smaller faster and better and these newer detectors are basically computer software driven.
Thats why shame more basic hardware driven like tesoro with knobs beep and dig machines are a thing of the past.
Most society demand’s automated even cars are starting to drive themselves which i have mixed feelings on where everything is headed.
You have a power outage and people are lost. Makes people not be able to think for anything. I was not allowed to have a calculator for math class in school now they require it.
Why the person at the register had to use one when I purchased something for $1.75 gave $2 and needed to figure out change when register wasn’t working. True story.
Anyway getting off subject here
The Fisher F5 is $299 these days. It runs at 7.8khz and has a pretty good ground balance and the after-market coils are plentiful.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I started detecting little over 15 years ago and started looking and posting on here. Started when the garret 250 just came out and then jumped right into the sovereign gt that also was just released.
Had some others quite a few Tesoro’s and pretty much ended with the excalliber II.
Didn’t really do a whole lot of detecting but got to try out a fair share of detectors and asked alot of questions on here which helped me out.
After selling everything for whatever reason it just hit me to want to get back i to it and surprised this forum was still up and running and even some same people still on here that were very informative that I remember such as Monte.
I can’t remember my old user name so i just reregistered.
I am also surprised as i have not kept up with the brands and models and shocked that companies like whites and Tesoro are no longer around.
Also surprised as the technology has advanced so much in just the last couple years from what i have read to where everything new is so light and packed with features especially with the two main companies still around garrett and Minelab.
The sovereign gt was a great machine just too heavy to swing especially now that i am older. Now it appears the vanquish has better technology packed in a small detector like the 250 was at the time.
Which leads me to a question to those that are familiar with the new ones. I am looking to start slow with something not too expensive such as around $300 or so
And the vanquish really stood out because of the price and the multi frequency capabilities.
I will mostly use it to hunt coins, Jewlery, anything of value in parks, old areas some beach, not planning on deep relic hunting anywhere will probably just use it in my state of Florida which is basically a big sand bar. No dark hard soil to speak of around here for those of you that know the state. It’s mostly sandy and not planning on taking it into the water at all at the beach as of now anyway. I used my excalliber years ago for that. Wasn’t really big on hunting in the water.
I see alot are big on this new company that makes the simplex but it is a vlf machine and here is what i am wondering for those that have used these new machines especially in Florida. Will the multi frequencies like the vanquish work better with the higher frequencies for finding jewelry like gold around here.
I know it has a fixed ground balance and from what i can remember around here ground balance wasn’t an issue as the machines i had with ground balance really didn’t do anything or change and machines with fixed ground balance like the Tesoro’s did just fine went just as deep as the sovereign which went pretty deep. The sovereign had auto gb. Maybe it was just me.
Again im not looking to deep relic hunt but would like to find that small gold and silver jewelry i used to find along with any coins.
This area doesn’t have alot of old historical sites to speak of but everything does seem to sink because of the loose sandy soil
Any help with info on these new machines and what will work best in my conditions and for what i will use it for would be great.
Maybe one day i will get back into getting something like the new 800 but not even sure i would need something like that for what i am looking to do
Thanks
Welcome back good resource here. Don't underestimate the tot-lot either, gets reseeded weekly and good place to try out the new machine with minimal digging. Make sure your new machine does well in wet sand saltwater (some of the machines that do well in dry sand fail in wet, not a big beach hunter but my two cents). Only hobby that literally pays you back. Good luck on the hunt!

OP
OP
D

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
Welcome back good resource here. Don't underestimate the tot-lot either, gets reseeded weekly and good place to try out the new machine with minimal digging. Make sure your new machine does well in wet sand saltwater (some of the machines that do well in dry sand fail in wet, not a big beach hunter but my two cents). Only hobby that literally pays you back. Good luck on the hunt!
Thanks git my detector but unfortunately one dealer I ordered an accessory from screwed me royally and everyone agrees.
Be careful who you order from

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks git my detector but unfortunately one dealer I ordered an accessory from screwed me royally and everyone agrees.
Be careful who you order from
That's terrible sorry to hear that I hope it gets resolved and you have a great first hunt, thievery of any kind just ticks me off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread