Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a spot I haven't been to in awhile. It's a long drive and most of the area that used to be open sand is now covered in cheat grass. I got lucky though, as these were exposed in the small area that hasn't grown in yet.
I didn't have much hope when I saw the 'mahogany obsidian' point in the sand, but was pleasantly surprised when I picked it up. I've only found a handful of mahogany points over the years so always a treat when they show up. The color comes from hematite or magnetite in the obsidian.
I love the fine tip on the Eastgate. The serrated one would have been nice had it not been cow stomped.

1020220834.jpeg

I didn't even bother to pick up the broken white one, I've got jars full of those.

Happy hunting all!

Attachments

• 1019221501.jpeg
    1019221501.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 36
  • 1019221502.jpeg
    1019221502.jpeg
    958.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 1019221523.jpeg
    1019221523.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 1019221523a.jpeg
    1019221523a.jpeg
    987.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 1019221526b.jpeg
    1019221526b.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 35
Upvote 19

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to a spot I haven't been to in awhile. It's a long drive and most of the area that used to be open sand is now covered in cheat grass. I got lucky though, as these were exposed in the small area that hasn't grown in yet.
I didn't have much hope when I saw the 'mahogany obsidian' point in the sand, but was pleasantly surprised when I picked it up. I've only found a handful of mahogany points over the years so always a treat when they show up. The color comes from hematite or magnetite in the obsidian.
I love the fine tip on the Eastgate. The serrated one would have been nice had it not been cow stomped.

View attachment 2051557

I didn't even bother to pick up the broken white one, I've got jars full of those.

Happy hunting all!
Nice hunt & finds, would you mind me asking what state. Thanks for sharing.

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2051557

Happy hunting all!
What terrific finds! Well done on recovering some amazing history!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2051557

Happy hunting all!
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 2051557

Happy hunting all!
wow you kill it on native makes me want to get a kayak and just float the potomac when the water is clear and look for algonkian stuff...well done!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That mahogany obsidian is one sweet looking point.
Congrats on getting some keepers.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
keep your eye on that spot! When the cheat grass burns (and it will sometime) (grass-o-leen), go back and hunt again. I was at a cousins spread in NV a few years back after a burn and walking her acreage was like walking across the parking lot at Walmart... No exageration, it was like walking across acres of blacktop, EVERYTHING that was on the surface popped out like daisies in the lawn, you couldn't miss them.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So so nice
Iโ€™m still looking for my first
Well Done and Congratulations
Thanks Bill, I wouldn't even know where to start looking over there. I'm sure they're there somewhere though...

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I'll bet there's some nice ones in that river!
wow you kill it on native makes me want to get a kayak and just float the potomac when the water is clear and look for algonkian stuff...well d

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That mahogany obsidian is one sweet looking point.
Congrats on getting some keepers.
Thanks Pepper! Most of the mahogany ones I find are broken for some reason.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep your eye on that spot! When the cheat grass burns (and it will sometime) (grass-o-leen), go back and hunt again. I was at a cousins spread in NV a few years back after a burn and walking her acreage was like walking across the parking lot at Walmart... No exageration, it was like walking across acres of blacktop, EVERYTHING that was on the surface popped out like daisies in the lawn, you couldn't miss them.
I'll be hoping for it! People have been target shooting regularly less than 200 yards away, so it may happen!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread