Back to the scout camp with a nice silver surprise and another civil war bullet and more silver from the school

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While in Baltimore for my wife’s surgery I did some morning walks around a nearby set of parking lots. In the 3 mornings I was there I found 1 quarter, 9 dimes, 3 nickels and 20 pennies. I also found a Walmart gift card, but it had a zero balance. Nothing special, but I did get a little change.

Back to scout camp for the first time since camp ended. I covered a couple of areas off the beaten track and did a quick once over of a campsite I completed 2 years ago.

I spent 6 hours with the CZ21 and had good luck. I found 107 coins with a face value of $10.27, 60 camp tent pegs, 4 knives, 8 more blank cartridges, a brass hand drill chuck, a silver ring, a neckerchief slide, 3 sinkers, a clevis pin, a bullet, a fishing lure, some whole aluminum cans and a pile of brass grommets.

551D3A62-4054-49ED-9FA9-6E51C3574EA5.jpeg

The blank cartridges are from the the reinactors that came to camp years ago. They used vintage weapons and the headstamps on the blanks are from 1936 to 1964.

5B08F3AA-D062-4FF2-B675-621D00D8F4A5.jpeg

The silver ring was a nice surprise. Most of the scouts are smart and leave their jewelry at home so a silver ring is not a normal find. This one is marked 925 and the stone tests as tourmaline. I found it in the campsite where I did the quick once over and was just under the surface of the dirt when I brushed the leaves away so it was lost after I did this site last. The neckerchief slide is an older style. I have only found a few of this type, they are flatter and wider than the regular style.

F01773AA-28EA-400B-8056-BB596F6C5497.jpeg

7D0347FE-9190-463C-956A-693B7B993730.jpeg

I finished the week with a trip to the civil war bullet school. It has cooled off some and that has made detecting a little easier on the old man, but the ground is still hard and dry in most areas.

Old reliable CZ21 and I spent 4.5 hours searching for treasure, extending a grid and working around the edge of a future grid. I managed to find 80 coins with a face value if $4.56, a silver ring, 2 bullets, a copper rivet, 2 and a half keys (2 matching ones that were over 50 feet apart), tabs, can slaw and whole cans.

8185B330-9FFD-4964-BE1E-CD1E5EA3A7AA.jpeg

The silver ring is bent and is marked HAN 925.

22BEC057-7E66-4A5E-B6D0-3FC15AC2F69C.jpeg

8EC4F1EF-3A70-49D1-ACB7-4B02FE49C97D.jpeg

The bullet on the right is a messed up post civil war bullet. The one on the left is a actually a Williams Type III that has been carved. When I first found it I knew it was a bullet, but didn’t think it was a civil war bullet. When I got a closed look I was pretty sure it was civil war. Side by side with a cleaner bullet you can see the rings match and there is a hole for the plunger in the base. So this one is carved and was probably a game piece. Unfortunately it has been damaged by the earth moving equipment used to build the school. The copper rivet could be civil war era, but they are still in use and with no markings there is no way to tell for sure how old it is.

543C7CA3-A1F7-44AE-9840-8EBC04A76F42.jpeg

EEECD888-2BD9-4794-92F0-BF65B46FD480.jpeg

7E950130-5B7E-4F1A-A7FC-F0540AD3DBDA.jpeg

What is it about heading back to the truck? I found the silver ring as I was on my way back to the truck and 40 feet later (still on the way back to the truck) I found the civil war bullet. The 2 best finds of the day ended the day. Go figure.

So a good clad week, interesting finds and 2 silver rings. Another decent week, nothing spectacular, but you’ve got to keep swingin and diggin and sooner or later the better finds will come. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 4

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While in Baltimore for my wife’s surgery I did some morning walks around a nearby set of parking lots. In the 3 mornings I was there I found 1 quarter, 9 dimes, 3 nickels and 20 pennies. I also found a Walmart gift card, but it had a zero balance. Nothing special, but I did get a little change.

Back to scout camp for the first time since camp ended. I covered a couple of areas off the beaten track and did a quick once over of a campsite I completed 2 years ago.

I spent 6 hours with the CZ21 and had good luck. I found 107 coins with a face value of $10.27, 60 camp tent pegs, 4 knives, 8 more blank cartridges, a brass hand drill chuck, a silver ring, a neckerchief slide, 3 sinkers, a clevis pin, a bullet, a fishing lure, some whole aluminum cans and a pile of brass grommets.

View attachment 2041606

The blank cartridges are from the the reinactors that came to camp years ago. They used vintage weapons and the headstamps on the blanks are from 1936 to 1964.

View attachment 2041607

The silver ring was a nice surprise. Most of the scouts are smart and leave their jewelry at home so a silver ring is not a normal find. This one is marked 925 and the stone tests as tourmaline. I found it in the campsite where I did the quick once over and was just under the surface of the dirt when I brushed the leaves away so it was lost after I did this site last. The neckerchief slide is an older style. I have only found a few of this type, they are flatter and wider than the regular style.

View attachment 2041609

View attachment 2041608

I finished the week with a trip to the civil war bullet school. It has cooled off some and that has made detecting a little easier on the old man, but the ground is still hard and dry in most areas.

Old reliable CZ21 and I spent 4.5 hours searching for treasure, extending a grid and working around the edge of a future grid. I managed to find 80 coins with a face value if $4.56, a silver ring, 2 bullets, a copper rivet, 2 and a half keys (2 matching ones that were over 50 feet apart), tabs, can slaw and whole cans.

View attachment 2041610

The silver ring is bent and is marked HAN 925.

View attachment 2041612

View attachment 2041613

The bullet on the right is a messed up post civil war bullet. The one on the left is a actually a Williams Type III that has been carved. When I first found it I knew it was a bullet, but didn’t think it was a civil war bullet. When I got a closed look I was pretty sure it was civil war. Side by side with a cleaner bullet you can see the rings match and there is a hole for the plunger in the base. So this one is carved and was probably a game piece. Unfortunately it has been damaged by the earth moving equipment used to build the school. The copper rivet could be civil war era, but they are still in use and with no markings there is no way to tell for sure how old it is.

View attachment 2041611

View attachment 2041605

View attachment 2041614

What is it about heading back to the truck? I found the silver ring as I was on my way back to the truck and 40 feet later (still on the way back to the truck) I found the civil war bullet. The 2 best finds of the day ended the day. Go figure.

So a good clad week, interesting finds and 2 silver rings. Another decent week, nothing spectacular, but you’ve got to keep swingin and diggin and sooner or later the better finds will come. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread