BACK with a four box Half Dollar Order - No Silver??

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Everyone,

It's been quite awhile! Like everyone else, I've been pushed out of the game by the pandemic and the resulting ripples. My previous pickup bank no longer orders boxes for customers due to the coin shortage, supply chain, etc. whatever excuse you want to actually believe. It's been discussed before, but in my opinion it's the big banks taking the first steps to weaning people off of physical currency.

After calling around to other banks in my area, I was finally able to find another that will play ball. They didn't seem to have an issue with my request and were very accommodating. No trouble ordering, no coin shortage... they get coins delivered daily in fact.

Well my order arrived today and needless to say, someone along the supply chain wants to plant an idea in my mind...

324789943_3424204811235598_7661887701228944238_n.jpg

All four boxes have No Silver written on them. It's obviously either the bank, the courier, or the coin processors trying to dissuade me from ordering. If I had to guess, it's probably the courier who doesn't want to have to lug these things around. Being that it's a new bank, they are probably trying to nip me in the bud, but little do they know how long a real CRHer can go without silver.

Will update later to see if the note holds true. With a relatively small sample size (4 boxes could easily all be skunks regardless of any special silver-removal processing) it will probably take a few months of 4-box weeks to know for sure.

Upvote 7

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Everyone,

It's been quite awhile! Like everyone else, I've been pushed out of the game by the pandemic and the resulting ripples. My previous pickup bank no longer orders boxes for customers due to the coin shortage, supply chain, etc. whatever excuse you want to actually believe. It's been discussed before, but in my opinion it's the big banks taking the first steps to weaning people off of physical currency.

After calling around to other banks in my area, I was finally able to find another that will play ball. They didn't seem to have an issue with my request and were very accommodating. No trouble ordering, no coin shortage... they get coins delivered daily in fact.

Well my order arrived today and needless to say, someone along the supply chain wants to plant an idea in my mind...

View attachment 2063990

All four boxes have No Silver written on them. It's obviously either the bank, the courier, or the coin processors trying to dissuade me from ordering. If I had to guess, it's probably the courier who doesn't want to have to lug these things around. Being that it's a new bank, they are probably trying to nip me in the bud, but little do they know how long a real CRHer can go without silver.

Will update later to see if the note holds true. With a relatively small sample size (4 boxes could easily all be skunks regardless of any special silver-removal processing) it will probably take a few months of 4-box weeks to know for sure.
On what planet is there a shortage of half dollars?

In the late 70s as Susan B. Anthony dollars were already collecting dust in bank vaults and at the Fed, there was a conscious effort to force them down the public's throat.

I believe the military received them in their pay and I vividly recall playing pinball machines with a special slot for a Susie -- back then it might have been a quarter per game but 5 for a Susie.

That effort died a thousand deaths as no one wanted that ill-designed coin.

If indeed there is such a coin shortage, then force banks to accept a roll of halves dollar-for-dollar for every other roll of coins that it bank orders. Once the furor subsides, maybe it will be back to business as usual.

BTW, I've never had any difficulty ordering boxes of halves. I can't speak for other deniminations.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

View attachment 2063990

Well i got a few rolls from the bank a couple weeks ago... i open the roll and first coin says in magic maker...
"Try Again".
heh

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
They certainly were!

I've had two more pickups of four boxes since, no more discouraging writing on them at least. Found a few silvers and have had 6/8 skunks.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't like to publicly talk about skunks as I often curse myself. 2 boxes last week both skunks, two boxes this week first a skunk 2nd two 40%ers

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got two 40’s a couple of weeks ago from one box, plus a few clad for my Whitman album

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have 2 Dansco albums for my Kennedy's , I need the 2019P and 2021P and 1970D have the rest. Keep getting 2019 and 2020 and 2021 D's always D's

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No thank you, that would be cheating, it is about the chase more than anything! I could go to the coin store and buy a full set right now. I may never find them but it keeps me hunting
No problem, I enjoy. The hunt as well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread