Greenie
Jan 5, 2014
Wister, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gearing up to detect some remote places this year and would like any tips from those of you backpack a detector and hike in. Trips will usually be overnighters and two-three nights. I used to pack and camp avidly but it's been a few years since I have.

I have just bought a Alps Commander Freighter Pack
Amazon.com: ALPS OutdoorZ Commander Freighter Frame Plus Pack Bag, 5250 Cubic Inches: Sports & Outdoors

I usually use a Whites MXT with the Stock 9" coil and a 4x6 DD Eclipse on another lower shaft.

I hope to pack in a sleeping bag, tent, cookware, water, food, and extra set of clothes and raingear along with the detector and a plastic gold pan for panning. Maybe a bucket to carry the concentrates out on panning trips if water or streams are scarce.

Any tips, tricks, ideas, and comments are welcomed in order keep the detector protected inside the pack or carrying on the outside are appreciated.

Thanks,
Lenny

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This time of year and for the next couple of months.......snake guards. For the next several months after that......bug spray. A weather kit for the detector is a good idea too.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've packed Tesoro detectors for miles, but haven't even considered packing my MXT mainly due to the configuration of the box and screen. Considering that, I'd think you'll do best by strapping the detector and shafts to the out side of the pack. You'll be better able to decide when you get the pack loaded with your other gear giving you a look at what room is left.
luvsdux

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do this VERY often as I like to hunt alone in the places where few people go!

I pack MRE's and plenty of water and use a one man pop up tent. no bag needed (its warm here) and my SH2 breaks down and is kept out of sight until I reach my site.
head torch is a must as well as a camel back to carry water and small kit while I am away from "base camp"

GOOD LUCK!!

OP
OP
L

Lennyzx11

Greenie
Jan 5, 2014
Wister, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I'm looking at hard because of that design. I don't bring it on plane trips due to afraid of not getting it packed safely enough. That Zbar for the box and screen is the hardest part to work out so far to keep safe.

I've packed Tesoro detectors for miles, but haven't even considered packing my MXT mainly due to the configuration of the box and screen. Considering that, I'd think you'll do best by strapping the detector and shafts to the out side of the pack. You'll be better able to decide when you get the pack loaded with your other gear giving you a look at what room is left.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread